• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Need Some Info on Sunday River

High Peaks Skier

Anyone out there that can give me some tips on Sunday River (i.e. Resturants, things to do, where to ski on the Mt.) I'm a longtime Whiteface Skier and am going there for 5 days this Wednesday. Anyone on this forum going to be up there at that time and wants to ski PM me. I could use a guide. It looks like a big Mt. I can ski anything.
Thanks

deadheadskier

Staff member
Start and finish your day on the Middle Mountains, Barker, Locke and North Peak can get crowded during the middle of the day. Jordan can as well. During the middle of the day I typically try and find myself on either Aurora or White Cap to avoid crowds. Don't really know much about eating in town as I was a day tripping season pass holder there for a couple of seasons, but would just go home to Portland at night.

Vortex

Sunday River. Thursday night go to suds pub for hoot night. Locals night good time.

Sat night the matterhorn is the palce to be for Apres ski.

Nice reasonably priced eats I would try Liams. Friday nigth ski and then go to the foggy goggle. Pretty melow live music. I make it most Friday's. I will not be up in time this week.

All of this can be accessed my the mountan explorer free shuttle. service. No dui.

Sat at 11.30 a bunch of us meet on the barker deck for Beer 30 a good crew 11.30 am

A few Sunday River board cross posters. I will be around Sat and Sunday, but kind of tied up in events this weekened.

edit
This weekend the chile cook off and firemans races will be at white cap with live music on Sat also.

I'll be at the Matterhorn around 5 on Sat and Barker at 11.30 on Sat,

Ski Sunday River peak to peak do not use allot of cross overs. Skiis much better that way,

Mid week the place is empty.

A few will be there because of the Canadian vacation week. The weekend will be busy for a little while at Barker and Jordan during peak hours. Ski them early.

It will be quiet everywhere else. Aurora has something for most int and advacnced skiers. Vortex and Black hole are hit every weekend by me. Jordan is good for crusing.

hope that helps

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Bob R is the authority on the place. You will have a great week. I did the 5-day vaca thing there in 2005 and had a blast.

snowmonster

Midweek on Sunday River is empty and you'll have the place to yourself. Each peak has a different personality. You may want to follow the sun and ski from White Cap to Jordan. When it gets crowded on weekends, avoid South Ridge and head to Aurora Peak. If you like glades, warm up on Last Tango or Blind Ambition then challenge yourself on Wizard's Gulch. If you have to ski Kansas from Jordan to Aurora, just build a head of speed when you drop in and get into a tuck. I've never had to pole on that trail.

Food - I recommend the cinnamon rolls at North Peak, the pizza at the Matterhorn and barbecue at Bob's (the orange trailer in front of the Good Food Store on Route 2). Matterhorn on Saturday's is great.

Nice crew hangs out at the Barker Pub at 1130 on Saturdays. PM me for the secret password.

Enjoy!

WJenness

I <3 Matterhorn.

I also <3:

Obsession
Bim's Whim
T2->Cascades
Right Stuff
American Express
Paradigm
Airglow
Northern Exposure
Rouge Angel
Excalibur
Escapade @ Night

-w

Edd

PM sent. I plan to be there solo on Friday if anyone needs a ski buddy. Forecast Friday is sunny right now. Wed and Thurs look a bit dicey at the moment.

2Planker

I've worked there for 20 years so I'lll also throw in:

Gringo Harry's (On Mt) is Best Mexican in town

Best Dining is Upstairs @ The Sudbury Inn, same as Suds Pub downstairs

Also have to put a vote in for SS Milton's or the Victorian - across the street from each other.

The Phoenix is also good Apres Ski, and is oly a few steps fron South Ridge

ga2ski

As has been said you will have trails to yourself mid week. Not sure where you are staying, but follow the sun midweek. Sun in the early morning Amex, and Risky on Spruce; Airglow and Blackhole on Aurora, Excalibur and Rogue Angel on Jordan.

Have fun. I'm around almost every weekend.

Vortex

2planker and Ga2ski have much more experience than me here. Good advice.

Gringo Harrys has a great coco rubbed sirloin steak. The moutnain explorer, but not the resort shuttel will bring you there is you request it. Was not the case until Feb.

SS milton probably was my best dinner this year.

North Peak is a good place to start if its solid on the higher terrain. Mid week you will need to use the chondola of ski off another peak and linc up. ie spruce down amex and cross over to the North peak or Aurora across lights out and cut over to the Np.
This time of year I start there until it softens up and then go higher up. Black hole in Arurora gets sun very early in the day this time of year.

2planker I did not see you on Sat.

prisnah

I'll be back up that way on Friday.....Suds is always a great spot to eat, and they have 30 odd beers on tap. I like the Phoenix (again lotta beer choices) or the Goggle for Apres and Sliders at lunch.

Keep and eye out for me and I'll show you around a bit, if the conditions are right, as I suspect they will be I'll introduce you to a few tree stashes that hardly ever get hit.

I'll be in tan Bonfire pants, a white tiger camo Oakley hoody if its warm or a lime and brown jacket if it's cold, on Armada AR6's with a chick in aquamarine pants and a black jacket.

Like everyone else said, stay away from Barker/South Ridge mid day on the weekends.... I flat out refuse to even ski anything marked except on Jordan , Oz and Whitecap on weekends.....mid week spring skiing at Barker or White Cap is a great time..... like Snowmonster said, this time of year, follow the sun from White Cap to Jordan as the day progresses and the snow gets softer.

And if you want Mexican....Gringo Harry's is NOT the place to go...last I checked Mexican cooking does not all contain brown sugar, nutmeg nor is it served with sweet potatoes....if you want something sweet, or kinda odd check it out tho...the cocoa rubbed steak is sicktar.

For better Mexican try the Veggie Burrito at Suds.

Gotta throw out a reccomendation for Scott and Sarah at Cho Sun....I think, others will disagree though, that they do great Sushi, and the Hot Stone Bibimbop is killer....plus the have Bar Harbor Blueberry there.

I would stay away from BBQ Bob's, but I've only been once and maybe he was off that day, but it sure as hell didn't taste like real BBQ to me or my girlfriend.

Check out the Brewpub at the beginning of the access road on Wednesday for 1.50 drafts of pretty good beer and cheap wings....otherwise stay away IMO.

I personally don't like the Matterhorn, but some do.....I think Homeslice Pizza in town does a much better job with pizza.

For quick food, to go, etc. check out the Good Food Store and the Barking Dawg (pretty good breakfast sandwiches)

The Mouse and Bean in town makes a pretty good coffee and usually has some good pastries/ baked goods.

Sassafrass Market has real good fresh stuff as well as a very strong beer selection for a night in, but the guy who runs it is kinda pompous IMO.

Skip the Crossroads diner, don't even try to get breakfast there on a weekend, better off driving 20 minutes to West Paris and hitting the General Store there....they make a bigger, better cheaper breakfast any day of the week.

If you have a day to do it....especially if it's a weekend, I would highly reccomend skiing Mt. Abram in Greenwood for a day.....great terrain and they have an open mountain, boundary to boundary policy now.....beats the weekend crowds at SR too.

Last edited:

High Peaks Skier

Thanks

I can't believe the responce. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. A couple of questions.
1. Does Bethel have good grocery store (inexpensive) or should I stop elsewhere on the way? Staying at a house.
2. I ski on three skis. Vokl 6 star for ice/ firm conditions, Nordica Hellcats for all around and for powder/ heavy corn/ slush I bring out the Nordica Enforcers (love this ski). Right now I'm skiing on the Hellcats at Whiteface and days above 50 in the afternoon I like the Enforceres.
Again thanks and I hope to burn some turns with a few of you this weekend.

prisnah

For groceries stop at the Hannaford in Oxford/Norway...it's right on rt 26 on your right on the way through the town.......

If you're desperate, hit the IGA, which isn't a bad little grocery store, only place in town that sells hard liquor as far as I know too....just a bit more pricey than the Hannaford would be.

If you have time go to the Walmart in Gorham NH and get it tax free, right over the ME/NH border pretty much, or the Walmart in Mexico 25-30 mins away, both have groceries and anything else you'll need.

Vortex

There is the Bethel food liner in town. It has one of everything, Small full service grocery store.

If you have a choice get what you need prior and add what you want from that store.

. In oxford Maine there is a Haniford grocery store on Rt 26 . Its on the right just past walmart on your right. Literally on rt 26

I would have a pair of skis for firm snow. The weather looks like it will be cooling down for the weekend.

Last Sat the Base got soft early, but took a while for up top to get soft. Turns were fabulous early. Mid winter.

Sunday the bottom was real soft, but when I left at noon the top was still firm. It looks to be a bit cooler on Friday Sat and Sunday. If you are in town then Suds is a great place to hang.

edit
looks like I was a bit slow here. You can get hard liquor at the Drug store as well, but Nh liquor stores are right on 93 and 95 dependingn on which way you come up.

High Peaks Skier

that was going to be my other important if not most important question. Is liquor cheapest in NH? I'm coming on I guess RT. 2 from the Burlington VT way. It's a bitch to get there the map program says 210 miles but says 5.5 hours. No easy way to get there from Lake Placid.
Thanks Again.

prisnah

There is the Bethel food liner in town. It has one of everything, Small full service grocery store.

If you have a choice get what you need prior and add what you want from that store.

. In oxford Maine there is a Haniford grocery store on Rt 26 . Its on the right just past walmart on your right. Literally on rt 26

I would have a pair of skis for firm snow. The weather looks like it will be cooling down for the weekend.

Last Sat the Base got soft early, but took a while for up top to get soft. Turns were fabulous early. Mid winter.

Sunday the bottom was real soft, but when I left at noon the top was still firm. It looks to be a bit cooler on Friday Sat and Sunday. If you are in town then Suds is a great place to hang.

edit
looks like I was a bit slow here. You can get hard liquor at the Drug store as well, but Nh liquor stores are right on 93 and 95 dependingn on which way you come up.

Ahh thats right, I forgot you can now buy booze at Rite Aid.

snoseek

And if you want Mexican....Gringo Harry's is NOT the place to go...last I checked Mexican cooking does not all contain brown sugar, nutmeg nor is it served with sweet potatoes....

Sorry can't resist but assuming that you could have mistaken nutmeg for cinnamon then these are all ingredients commonly associated with authentic Mexican food, just not so Much in Maine.

prisnah

They use both nutmeg and cinnamon in pretty much everything there. It is not mexican, yes, they have quesadillas, burritos, chicken mole, etc, and they also serve various other dishes like the cocoa rubbed steak or blueberry mojo ahi tuna.

But....everything they serve has some type of twist to the normal ingredients whether it be cinnamon, nutmeg, a citrus flavor or pomegranate , and most of their dishes are on the sweet side. That was the point I was trying to make....they even sprinkle the tortilla chips with some sugar.

I understand that a Mexican Steakhouse is what Mark has billed it to be, but it simply isn't.

Is the food good? Yes, I won't deny that. Just not Mexican IMO, Look at the menu and decide yourselves.

Last edited:

MrsG

If you do not mind driving 20 to 30 minutes for dinner - Brian's Bistro in Rumford, Me is awesome - website www.brians-bistro.com . . . all the other info is great too . . . have fun and be safe;)