• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Catskills Help for This Weekend 3/21-3/22?

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I'm looking to hit up one of the Catskill mountains this weekend, either Sat or Sun. Any suggestions on which one is in the best shape? I've never been to any of them, and I'm looking for as much advanced terrain with the best snow quality possible. I think I'm leaning towards Belleayre because it's a little bit cheaper and hopefully not quite as busy (?).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tekweezle

was at Belleayre this past sunday. it was pretty decent all things considered. we had coverage on the main slopes and it only got really slushy at the end of the day. some trails were getting a little brown though and your mileage may vary.

go to the potter brothers shop and get the flex ticket for 24$ that is good only on sunday.

catskills

Belleayre made a lot of snow this year. For advanced ability level, this time of year Belleayre will have the following excellent spring condition mogul trails opened, which are always a lot of fun:
  1. Winisook
  2. Tongora
  3. Belleayre upper and lower
  4. Onteora
  5. Yahoo
  6. Seneca

I don't know how many mogul trails Hunter will have opened.

MarkC

Hands down the best expert mountain in the catskills from mid march till closing is Hunter.

bousquet19

I'm looking to hit up one of the Catskill mountains this weekend, either Sat or Sun. Any suggestions on which one is in the best shape? I've never been to any of them, and I'm looking for as much advanced terrain with the best snow quality possible. I think I'm leaning towards Belleayre because it's a little bit cheaper and hopefully not quite as busy (?).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

St. Bear, I skied both Windham and Plattekill this past Saturday, March 14. Both visits were my first to these areas.

Windham had about 85% of its terrain open, with good grooming but, as expected, some thin spots and some ice (the latter esp. on the steeps). Grooming was very good-plus. I had a great time, particularly on the East Peak trails such as Wedgie.

In regard to Plattekill, their trail report you quoted matches Saturday's conditions as I found them. Essentially, there were 4 top-to-bottom runs open: a green, a blue, a black, and a double black...plus the beginner's area. What a funky, family place, though! But I doubt their snow will last much longer.

Enjoy your day, wherever you go.

Woody