• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

skiing with the bears at Hunter!!!

kingslug

Coming down Hellgate people start screaming at me to stop!!! a mother and 2 cubs are crossing Hellgate and I'm about 50 feet away...holy crap! then they went into upper xover, right where I wanted to go. they stayed awhile, hung out in the woods while a patroller stood guard. A little too close for me...with nowhere to go but into the mogul field.

hunter_3-15-09_018.jpg

hunter_3-15-09_019.jpg

hunter_3-15-09_020.jpg

Last edited:

campgottagopee

Awesome!!!! You know it's really spring when you start seein those puppies out and about. Still haven't seen any bear here yet---must still be sleepy.

Based on the title, I thought this was going to be about the Barking Bears of Epicski..you know Finndawg and Philpug..lol

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
On your way up the quad, just as you get to where racers starts the first set of rocks/cliff is where she and her cubs have been sleeping.Well not really sleeping (I was told that they don't "sleep" all winter) Saw her and the cubs around the end of Decmeber roaming around above the belt!

bigbog

...good timing!

Nice pics slug. Not everyone is as quick or fortunate to have the camera ready...when needed. Late winter, early spring is a neat time of year for seeing animals...

Trekchick

That is just cool!

I've come across Bear(among other things) while biking in the summer, but never while skiing.
What a cool thing to experience, eh?