• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sick of the AIG bailout? Boycott Stowe!

Phildozer

You know, I'm kind of surprised this kind of thing hasn't been floated yet.

Could it be most people don't know AIG owns the resort?

Ballistic

We should boycott anyone in Congress who votes for this newer bill. It's about to set up 100x the bad business enabling that the first one did.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
They won't miss your stinkin' $84 per day when they are grabbing at numbers that include nine more trailing zeros.

Entertain yerself here. Think of it this way:
80B bailout is about 1 billion day tickets
450M bonus package = 5M lift tickets

There are 5-10M skiers/boarders in the US.

deadheadskier

Staff member
As someone who has worked for the Mtn Company, has numerous friends still working for it or at a local business that is somewhat dependent on SMR's success.....no boycotting here. These individuals shouldn't be punished for the reckless behavior of other divisions within AIG.

mondeo

As someone who has worked for the Mtn Company, has numerous friends still working for it or at a local business that is somewhat dependent on SMR's success.....no boycotting here. These individuals shouldn't be punished for the reckless behavior of other divisions within AIG.
+1

Note: the following should not imply that I think the bailout was right or that I think the bonuses are "deserved." These aspects are immaterial in this case.

Not really sure what people are expecting here. Not paying the bonuses would have breached contracts. Oh, and paying the bonuses was specifically allowed in the bailout. Not just ignored, called out and allowed.

Nevermind the fact that bonuses account for something like 75% of income for brokers, bankers, etc. At that point they're not even bonuses, they're salary. The indigniation is stemming from the majority of the population to whom bonuses are an extra, not expected.

drjeff

We should boycott anyone in Congress who votes for this newer bill. It's about to set up 100x the bad business enabling that the first one did.

Must refrain from interjecting certain commentary about a certain topic that isn't looked highly upon here on AZ. Must also refrain from commentary about a certain resident of CT who spends most of his time in Washington, DC who's last name has 3 "D's" in it :mad: :mad: :mad: :uzi: :uzi: :uzi:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The top wigs at AIG have so little to do with SMR it is probably a joke. I bet some guys getting bonuses don't even know AIG owns SMR or care, different division. No more than I know what another division of my company is up to at any given time.

I have no problem with executives getting bonuses even while on a bailout. It is an absolute FACT that you can't keep or hire top executives these days without bonus packages. HOWEVER, I want to know how the hell the bonus package was written that these fat cats can loose the most money in company history and still get a pay out, especially millions of dollars worth of bonus. That is an inept company that rewards incompetence that extravagantly.

As for Stowe, I got two prepaid coupons to burn and I am not holding Stowe to the fire because of AIG's finance division.

Skimaine

Take-out gun - shoot self in foot. :uzi:

We the people are now 80% owners of AIG. Our collective goal should be to get the maximum price for Stowe. Please visit often and drive-up skier days.

You know, I'm kind of surprised this kind of thing hasn't been floated yet.

Could it be most people don't know AIG owns the resort?

Phildozer

Isn't this just like saying, "I'm not going to say anything and risk losing money"?