• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Things to do in or around Kingston, NY

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
So, if you didn't read in the "What are you doing right now" thread, my wife was involved in a car accident last night. She's on a business trip in Dallas, Tx. Some dipsh!t ran a red light, and hit her car. She ok, just a bit sore and stiff. Her left ankle is pretty swollen from getting jammed up against the break pedal, and she's got a seatbelt bruise on her chest.Problem here is we had planned a 4 day ski weekend at Belleayre. We had planned to stay in Kingston, because it's close to two resturants we really like in the area, as well as there's a bar and hot tub in the hotel.

It doesn't sound like she's really going to be able to ski, although she really wants to. She did tell me that I could just leave her in the hotel so I can get some runs in, but it would be a huge disappointment not be skiing with her. Even though she told me it would be ok, it seems somewhat selfish as well.

So what else can we do in the area? I though about taking the drive up to Albany and explore the city a bit, but don't really know where to go. Something along the likes of Church Street in Burlington would be pretty cool. What other attractions are in the greater Kingston area?

ctenidae

Eat, drink, and be merry (just avoid the ankle and chest regions)

Other than that (and the Police Commission meeting on the 19th), I got nuthin'.

Hope she feels better soon.

drjeff

Make sure you have case of Blackbeary wheat for you and some good pain meds for Mrs. Root!

dmc

New World Home Cooking - AWESOME!!!!
http://ricorlando.com/

Go to Woodstock... Check out the freaks... Climb Overlook Mt and check out the ruins...

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Root -- Be a ROMANTIC and do what SHE WANTS to DO
( call it an investment in NEXT season for some guy time :D )

Or he could take me along!!!!

That would be a different kind of romanticism. :eek:

Root, you're a cool guy. I thought that before anyway, but when you said you didn't feel right skiing without her... well, you verified it even more. :beer: I'm sure you guys will find something to do and it will be great regardless since you're getting away together. Enjoy it! :beer:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
New World Home Cooking - AWESOME!!!!
http://ricorlando.com/

Go to Woodstock... Check out the freaks... Climb Overlook Mt and check out the ruins...
Woodstock is on the list. I'm not sure how she'll feel about climbing (unless its stairs)
Root -- Be a ROMANTIC and do what SHE WANTS to DO
( call it an investment in NEXT season for some guy time :D )
I build up a bank of investments all summer long :)

Or he could take me along!!!!
Yeah, but then AtomicSkier might get jealous.:oops:
That would be a different kind of romanticism. :eek:

Root, you're a cool guy. I thought that before anyway, but when you said you didn't feel right skiing without her... well, you verified it even more. :beer: I'm sure you guys will find something to do and it will be great regardless since you're getting away together. Enjoy it! :beer:
Thank you Severine:D

gorgonzola

damn root sorry to here about your wifes accident, hope she feels better. i say you do woodstock and buy her a nice piece of handmade jewelry.. my wife still wears her funky earrings i got her up there like 20some odd years ago when we were dating

skidbump

There are 3 mansions in Hyde park" 35 minutes from kingston". Roosevelt,Vanderbilt and Vallkil,Also Samuel b Morse site in poughkeepsie,Could also try and get dinner resevations for Culinary institute.There are many things to do locally .

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
We're going to hit up a winery after lunch today & Woodstock tomorrow. Overlook Mt hike sounded like fun, but she's not up to it. Tonight dinner is at the Hoffman House in Kingston and tomorrow we're hitting Cafe Tamayo in Saugerties.

thanks everyone

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com
Woodstock is cool, and the trail to the top of Overlook is a 2 mile dirt road up 1700 feet to the fire tower. Some of the best views in the Northeast on a good day. Saturday and Sunday afternoon there will be Hang Gliders flying in Ellenville, about a half hour down 209. The Carriage roads in Minnewaska provide wonderful overlooks from the top of the Shawangunks.

Have fun!

Last edited: