• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Monty thought that those who ski on groomers were wusses!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
In 1950, Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery penned a letter to the Times of London. He was one of the most admired Military leaders of WW2. I have excerpted his major points.

"...I first began to ski in 1925 and in my opinion the general standard of ski-ing was far higher in those days than it is to-day. By "ski-ing" I mean of course real ski-ing and not rattling down prepared pistes.
In 1925 a man was regarded as a good skier if he could find his way about the mountains, and if he could run fast and steadily in all kinds of snow - soft snow, breakable crust and unbreakable crust. To-day, the one standard of excellence appears to be speed down a prepared course from which every vestige of natural snow has been removed; the result is that most modern skiers are for the most part incompetent in soft snow and therefore inferior to their predecessors.
The Inferno Race (Murren) starts from the summit of the Schilthorn and finishes at Lauterbrunnen, 7,000 feet below. The course from start to finish is on natural snow as shaped by the sun, and wind, and frost. As a soldier this type of race appeals to me immensely; it calls for quick decisions; these have to be taken almost instinctively, ...

I appeal to the leaders of the Alpine schools to do something to arrest the decadence of a noble sport."

Sir Monty, I couldn't agree with you more!

mondeo

I'm not sure if it's just that I'm more aware of different parts of the sport than I used to be or what, but it seems like we're coming full circle. Or at least, people now appreciate all different forms of skiing more now than they have in the past. Skiers even get along with snowboarders these days. Especially at MRG. ;-)

frozencorn

"I mean of course real ski-ing and not rattling down prepared pistes."

That's awesome.

Mildcat

Monty was a vertically challenged egomaniac who suffered from delusions of grandeur :D

Maybe if they invaded the Alps instead of the beaches of Normandy he would have been Supreme Commander instead of Ike.

Warp Daddy

Maybe if they invaded the Alps instead of the beaches of Normandy he would have been Supreme Commander instead of Ike.

LMAO -----Nah faced with THAT possibility Monty would have been too damn busy figuring out what to wear , how to posture his PR and then take forever to make the damn decision all the while while Georgie Patton ( 'nother egomaniac, but an impatient one ) would have already taken Hitler's Alpine Redoubt strategy out and kicked some major Nazi ass -- :D :D :D Those 3 guys HATED one another and Patton was a friggin junk yard dog and one who WAS NOT afraid to buck authority