• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Golf Thread 2009

Warp Daddy

Just back from a nice round today got to walk 18 in 70 degree sunny weather awesome. The Canada Geese were flying overhead today and squawking !

Played fairly well 42/43/85 The hybrids and putter were working fine today got first birds of the season feeling good !

Warp Daddy

Just back from South Carolina and Florida. Played 5 times in 8 days.

Long Bay - (North Myrtle Beach) - gorgeous course right next to the burned-up areas of NMB. Hit miserably for my 1st round in a month (103). A pretty and difficult course. Surprisingly green considering how little rain they've had.

Myrtle Beach National (West) - played much better, shot 89. Relatively easy course with little water, some sand.

Heather Glen - Little River, SC - incredibly difficult course played when I was incredibly hung over. Shot at least 105 and lost at least a dozen balls.

Hawk Landing (Disney - Orlando): Played twice and shot 90 and 95. Nice course on the Marriott property. Lots of water and man, was it HOT. Blew up on the front nine on my second round, but recovered and shot 42 on the last nine, so finished well.

Hit my driver well, putting was mostly good, it's my irons that disappear if I don't play regularly.

All in all Chile NOT bad especially for EARLY season rounds !!!

Early on we all need to get our swing back in" the zone" Takes patience and huge amounts of SWING LUBE working !!!!

drjeff

Got out for 9 yesterday. Played well and finally was able to visualize how I wanted to play the hole and then hit the shots I wanted to! Shot 38 - didn't make alot of putts, but I'm just going to blame that on the greens that were aerated a few days ago and NOT the idiot that was holding the putter ;) :rolleyes: :)

Trekchick

Some days I just want to give up!
I've golfed (or attempted to golf) for 3 years(this will be my 4th).
I was improving a bit until last year when I hit a plateau...
Two games this year and I can not get my game under 120.
I need to call my golf pro for another lesson, or sell my clubs.

Warp Daddy

Some days I just want to give up!
I've golfed (or attempted to golf) for 3 years(this will be my 4th).
I was improving a bit until last year when I hit a plateau...
Two games this year and I can not get my game under 120.
I need to call my golf pro for another lesson, or sell my clubs.

Trek you are tenacious don't let this get to ya !!! Take another lesson it'll help if someone can analyze what you are doing wrong and help u get back on game

You just have to keep playing sometimes . How often do you play ?? -- Golf requires TIME /effort play 60 - 70 rounds a season and am still learning the game . There are as you know lots of variables in the mechanics .

Hang tuff -- and btw we ALL HAVE BAD rounds on occasion and WE ALL CONTINUE TO ADD CLUBS TO OUR GOLF QUIVERS -- LMAO in search of a magic fix

Warp Daddy

Trek you are tenacious don't let this get to ya !!! Take another lesson it'll help if someone can analyze what you are doing wrong and help u get back on game

You just have to keep playing sometimes . How often do you play ?? -- Golf requires TIME /effort play 60 - 70 rounds a season and am still learning the game . There are as you know lots of variables in the mechanics .

Hang tuff -- and btw we ALL HAVE BAD rounds on occasion and WE ALL CONTINUE TO ADD CLUBS TO OUR GOLF QUIVERS -- LMAO in search of a magic fix

OOP"s MY BAD-- i meant I play 60 -70 rounds a yr

Trekchick

There in lies the problem...
I like mt biking and golf in the summer and dedicate a lot of time to supporting my husband's dirt bike passion. The time spent splitting my interests doesn't allow for the dedication that golf requires to really make improvements.

I will say this, I tend to make improvements better if I nibble.
got my 9 hole game below 70, then 60, hoping to get it below 50....achievable goals for a 9 will help me achieve goals for 18, eh?

Last summer really sucked because I broke my wrist and I could only golf the first couple months, then only two rounds before the ski season was upon us.

Warp Daddy

Just back from playing 18 we walked today it was glorious sunny abiut 68 . I had my best round of the season a +10 40/ 42 82 My last 2 rounds have been strong for me feeling like i'm in the zone right now had 2 more birdies today and 6 pars so i'm a happy boy

campgottagopee

Yesterday was a "bit" windy here---sustained 25mph+ winds will really tell you if your hitting it solid or not. For the most part I did okay but still had a couple shots that really made me wonder "where the heck did that come from"??? I shot 78 and still lost 23 bucks but that's okay I've been on a good winning streak this year :smile:

Our usual game consists of a $5 Nassau, 2 down auto's and "press' when your pissed, double, triple or whatever else moght float your boat. We also play "barkies" and "blacktops".....if anyone hits a tree or a cart path they have to throw in a buck for drinking money after the round.....

What's your game??

Warp Daddy

Yesterday was a "bit" windy here---sustained 25mph+ winds will really tell you if your hitting it solid or not. For the most part I did okay but still had a couple shots that really made me wonder "where the heck did that come from"??? I shot 78 and still lost 23 bucks but that's okay I've been on a good winning streak this year :smile:

Our usual game consists of a $5 Nassau, 2 down auto's and "press' when your pissed, double, triple or whatever else moght float your boat. We also play "barkies" and "blacktops".....if anyone hits a tree or a cart path they have to throw in a buck for drinking money after the round.....

What's your game??

78 in any weather is great ----------- in a strong wind it's SUPER -- Campster -- nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday at Iron Lakes was not one of my better rounds. It was only my 2nd golf out of the season so I can't be too critical. I arrived at 830AM for a 8:53AM tee-time and my Dad was already shoe-ing up and his buddy Roger pulled in right beside me. Weekend greens fees including carts was a reasonable $44 and bottled water was only $1..and I left a 100% tip because I'm a baller.

We had time to practice putting and the greens were running slow due to all the recent rain. My tee-shot on the first hole was about 220 yards to the right leaving me a 150 yard 8 iron into the green..I went long and had a poor chip on and 3 putt..yucky 6 start. The next hole a par 3, duffed my tee shot..pitched on, and two putt for a 4. Then I shot a bogey on one of the tougher par 4's. Everything was pretty routine and on the first of the lake holes #6, I carried the water onto the green while both my Dad and Roger were in the pond and ended up being on in 3 with the penalty..I ended up with a par while the others got doubles..Then I shot a 7 on #7 due to being overly agressive from out of the trees..then on #8 the #1 handicap hole playing about 420 yards from the whites, I hit a nice 230 yard drive..then hit a 5-iron to almost the front apron and then a little bump and run and a 5 footer for par..JEA!!!!...than a double on the par 5 9th..49 front nine..

The back started out rocky with a flubbed sand shot and a bad bounce off a tree..I didn't get any pars and mostly had bogeys and doubles including one double where I three putt from 6 feet..yuck..Then on the par 5 16th which has an Island Green, I hit my drive about 200 yards to the right..then hit a pitching wedge to get to the 150 marker and then an 8 iron at the green..I got over the water but found a greenside bunker. My bunker play needs the most practice and my bunker shot went over the green and luckily had enough backspin that it held up just short of the water. Then I flubbed my chip..my second chip hit the pin and bounced 8 feet to the side and I pissed that putt and decided to stop keeping score..but anyway the 2nd round of the season I shouldn't be keeping score anyway..I'm just getting back into it..very frustrating but I'm not gonna quit....plus an almost 5 hour round and I got bad sunburn..but after golf we hit up Grumpys BBQ for beer and ribs..JADIP

drjeff

In no way do I intend this to turn into a skier vs. boarder rant, but it seems to me that on casual observation golf, which is argueable a TOUGH sport to learn to play atleast decently, atleast on this board is played by WWAAYY more skiers than boarders. Is it a coincidence that skiing is argueably tougher to learn to do decently than boarding??? Or is it just that us 2 plankers are into self torture??? ;) :idea: :rolleyes: ;)

In no way do I intend this to turn into a skier vs. boarder rant, but it seems to me that on casual observation golf, which is argueable a TOUGH sport to learn to play atleast decently, atleast on this board is played by WWAAYY more skiers than boarders. Is it a coincidence that skiing is argueably tougher to learn to do decently than boarding??? Or is it just that us 2 plankers are into self torture??? ;) :idea: :rolleyes: ;)

I think that golfers are generally pretty preppy and businesslike which fits a niche of the skier market and snowboarders are perceived as punks with piercings and mohawks and stuff..yet Glen Plake has a mohawk and is a skier and there are also lots of nerdy snowboarders..I don't know..good thing I don't have to write a report on this,.

Warp Daddy

Played a new ( to me ) course today had a Ok 44/41/85 . weather continues to be beautiful . A few fairways were a bit soaked from torrential rains over the weekend and had some "casual water " rules today :D

What i liked in addition to the scenery was the fact they had several elevated greens and many uneven or tilted fairways which made for a few challenges.No roll on any shots today ground is still soft

drjeff

Played a new ( to me ) course today had a Ok 44/41/85 . weather continues to be beautiful . A few fairways were a bit soaked from torrential rains over the weekend and had some "casual water " rules today :D

What i liked in addition to the scenery was the fact they had several elevated greens and many uneven or tilted fairways which made for a few challenges.No roll on any shots today ground is still soft

An 85 on a previously site unseen track is a very solid round there Warp! Solid playing!

campgottagopee

Nice---as DR J said, an 85 at a first look course is solid

Warp Daddy

Thanks Camp and Doc coming from YOU two guys who can really put down some SERIOUS scores -- it means a lot to an old duffer :D

One more day of nice weat, so might as well go for the 72 hole deal :D:D