• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe on St. Paddy's Day, 3/17

Skimaven

Website
www.skimaven.com
The luck of the Irish was with me today as I skied Stowe. Blue, blue skies. Corn snow. Warm temperatures. Soft bumps. Sunny deck at Midway. It was all good.

We skied the gondola all morning. Smooth corn snow skiing on Gondolier, Perry Merrill and Switchback. We figured it would take the Front Four a while to soften up, and we didn't see skiers on Liftline or National till late morning. (Starr and Goat were closed--as well as Chinclip over at the gondy -- probably still frozen over from previous rain and freezing.)

On some sections of trails such as Gondolier, Liftline and Nosedive, skiers had scraped the center of the trail down to a hard-to-edge linoleum, while the corn snow piled up on the sides. You had to keep on your toes due to the stop-and-go. Great bumps on Hayride and Lower National. Centerline was also bumped up.

Here are a couple photos from this super spring day. More details and photos at my Vermont skiing blog at http://www.skimaven.com.

3364206912_bdb3d9ed83_o.jpg

3363401147_59b3ce342a_o.jpg

Skimaven

Website
www.skimaven.com
Heh-heh. We rode up the gondola with a woman who wondered why Stowe's ice took on different colors such as green. I had to tell her that the green waterfall was special for the holiday.