• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Chainsaws....

TheBEast

Any one have any picture stoke? Borrowed a Husqarvarna 455 Rancher from a buddy and got some wood for next winter.....there's just something about working with a chainsaw that's gratifying.

drjeff

Ironically enough, I'm watching Axemen right now on my DVR as I'm reading this :)

Glenn

Saws are fun! The exhaust smells great too. Just to need to respect that they can really bite you if you're not careful.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Cue Marc and the safety orange chaps.

Yo!

101_0384.jpg

0104091115.jpg

My go to saw is my Husqvarna 372 xp (71.5 cc), 24" b&c, full comp, round ground semi chisel.

hammer

Bump...bought a HD special to cut down and clean up some small trees around the yard. Used it once but all I had for protection was jeans and safety glasses.

What is the minimum set of safety gear?

ctenidae

Bump...bought a HD special to cut down and clean up some small trees around the yard. Used it once but all I had for protection was jeans and safety glasses.

A cod piece and common sense.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

I won't saw without cut resistant pants or chaps, steel toes or chainsaw boots, safety glasses and hearing protection. No felling without a suspended hardhat of some kind. Some folks won't do with less than a full chainsaw helmet and integrated mesh face shield, but I prefer without.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
A cod piece and common sense.

This too. Saw with a sharp chain, a well tuned saw and a clear head. Always best to prevent an accident.

Always know where your bar tip is and don't let it do the cutting, especially the top part of the tip. Always check that your inertia brake works before use. Use the chain brake whenever the bar isn't cutting through wood.

tjf67

I won't saw without cut resistant pants or chaps, steel toes or chainsaw boots, safety glasses and hearing protection. No felling without a suspended hardhat of some kind. Some folks won't do with less than a full chainsaw helmet and integrated mesh face shield, but I prefer without.

HAHA. It always worked ok when the chain was sharp and you didn't touch yourself with the spinning part. Engineers crack me up.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
HAHA. It always worked ok when the chain was sharp and you didn't touch yourself with the spinning part. Engineers crack me up.

Have you ever seen a saw injury in person? I don't ever want that to happen to me. They're never minor.

Anyone I've worked with and operated a saw safely wore their PPE. Anyone I've seen who scared me with a saw or had no clue what they were doing were similarly lax with their PPE. The two always seem to go hand in hand.

hammer

Thanks...do you also wear gloves?

Seems like the safety gear is going to cost as much as the saw (yes, it is an inexpensive saw). I liked how the saw saved a lot of time but I didn't feel safe, so yes, I do plan on making the purchase.

Interesting how HD sells the saws but I didn't see the safety gear anywhere nearby. :roll:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Yes, mostly leather work gloves, but really just for vibe damping and enhanced grip and warmth in the winter. If you keep both hands on the saw at all times as you should, your hands should stay in relative safety.

I've had some old grizzled cutters tell me they'll only wear cotton gloves because they'll slip off easy if they get their hand caught up in something, but just as many guys tell me there's not a good reason for doing that other than because everyone does it.

PPE isn't cheap (paid $50 for my chaps) but still cheaper than rehabbing a wound or doing permanent damage.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Some type of hard boots, hiking boots work well, is a good idea. When I depended on getting my 5 cords every fall for winter heat, no central heat in the old cabin I lived in for 12 years, one time I was cutting some stacked deadfall in the NF, it was raining and I slipped. The saw hit my boot and trimmed the toe part of my boot an inch or so. No damage to my foot but if I was wearing sneakers or worse yet, sandals I would be known now as Joe "toeless" Jackson.

Even with light cutting it's also a good idea to at least have someone else around just in case. If your accident prone like Tim Taylor an ambulance on call would be good too.

Glenn

Looks for a local Stihl dealer...they should have chaps.

Speaking of which, I need to pull the trigger on that MS250 soon. I've got some pine rounds that need to be cut so they'll fit in the stove.