• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How do you ski so much?

Eski

used to get about 20 days in a season ... a few years ago after I had my stroke, I used skiing as my therapy, it took a while but once I got back into the swing, decided to ski my age in days, that really upped the numbers ... now that I retired, I started skiing every day because I could, and I have fun doing it ... I made it to 108 days in a row and came up lame, I took some time off and it killed me to be sitting around so I'm back out there working my way back into shape ... today was 114 for the season, certainly not all full days, but I don't need that as every day is a workout and requires much more stamina than work ... some folks question my time out on the hills, I could care less, I'm having the time of MY life!

vcunning

My wife and I have been avid skiers for 24 years. So we've always had the bug, but early on, could never afford to go skiing as much as we wanted.

So now with 2 kids (9 and 2), it's a little tougher, but we've been doing seasonal rentals and committing our vacation dollars to the winter months. The 9-year old skis with us and the 2-year old has a season's pass into daycare (although I've just started to bring him out on the slopes).

Like a previous poster, it's a lifestyle decision. There are a bazillion around the house projects. But we just stop doing that stuff around November and don't resume until May.

We ski every weekend and every school break. We hit 56 days last year and I actually lost count this year, although I believe it's lower.

I'm blessed that my wife loves skiing. And despite the fact that she was unable to ski this year due to a medical condition, she absolutely insisted that we're in Vermont every possible second.

snoseek

I choose not to breed (you're welcome), and try like hell to live my life so I'm never owned by my career. That is sometimes tough.

I also choose to work more in the summer, hell I used to do all my work in the summer and take Nov-May off.

skidbump

I work pt as instructor.My commitment is 2 weekends a month and all holiday periods so it was XMAS day thru new years weekend,MLK,25 dollar week,and Presidents week.I am semi retired so i usually can ski 5 to 7 days a week.I have a fulltime job that really doesnt start till april but the hours are flexible so i can work after skiing untill end of season.Then hours drop arround labor day to 3 to 5 over winter.I also do some contract work "POS,telecom,and data" and most jobs are less than 3 hours so i can still ski on a work day.

if not, pm me and i'll give you tips on playing all the angles with an uncooperative wife.

My wife told me that if I wanted kids, (she was not into it) and "we" planned on skiing like we were used to (100 days in 1994) then I had better pony up. Voila, ski house purchased at the base of Hunter Mountain. Best investment we ever made.

Now we have 2 boys 9 and 12 and we still manage well over 50 days per year. i have had 50+ every year since 1981.

Sparky

Until I became an instructor 12 years ago I was lucky to get out 8or9 times a year. This year I'm at 43 and expect to end up around 46. I was lucky that my daughter was an instructor at our local mountain and got me clearance (wife) to go and give it a try. when I retire (hopefully very soon) I expect to be in the triple digiti range.

By the way, if anyone wants to up there count by becoming an instructor, Jiminy usually has their hiring clinic in November. If you watch their web site in the fall you should be able to get the details.

ctenidae

I'm a little jealous, and a little in awe of the high day counts. I think I've been out 6 days this year, and am only comforted by the fact that I've gotten out pretty much every day I could (I think there's only been one day that we could have gone, but didn't, and one day we went for a half day, took too long to get there, couldn't find parking, adn decided that starting skiing at 1 pm and paying full fare for 3 hours just wasn't worth it at that level of crowdedness). No vacation this season, either, which is a drag, but them's the breaks, right?

All I can say is keep skiing, all of you- that way there's still a mountain there on the off chance I can get out.

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
I have 60 plus days so far, but that's because that's pretty much what I do. I ski most week days and work at a ski shop weekends and holidays. So I guess that makes me a ski bum.

skibum9995

I work nights during the week so I can usually ski until 2:00 or so, then go to work. This will be the first year since 01-02 that I don't hit 100 days, but I should finish somewhere around 75-80.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I expect to end the season in the low 30's. Not sure if the qualifies as a lot but I'm happy with that #. I basically will do whatever my wife wants to do every weekend during the off-season, like it or not. She understands my passion. Being dinks helps also ;)