• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

09 king of spring

09' king of spring(last to close)

• sugarbush

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • sugarloaf

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • mount snow

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • killington

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • jay peak

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • stratton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
The dusting of snow at Killington looks pretty, but 107" of snow at Sugarloaf in April of 2007 looked a bit different:

IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/loafer89/Buriedsign.jpg[/IMG]IMG]

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y238/loafer89/Buriedsign.jpg[/IMG]

Yep, mountains covered! :) What was their closing date that season?

Angus

sugarloaf hands-down this season but I bet saddleback could give them a run if they had any intention of competing which they don't

Stache

Website
WWW.SKIWITHSTACHE.COM
I will bet my last paycheck that Killington goes to Easter.
I am scheduled to teach a group of Brit Uni kids from Madras College the 4th - 9th.
They are not gonna turn their backs on that.

Zand

I will bet my last paycheck that Killington goes to Easter.
I am scheduled to teach a group of Brit Uni kids from Madras College the 4th - 9th.
They are not gonna turn their backs on that.

I'd hope they'd make it to Easter...lol. That would be real sad if they didn't.

My bet is we'll see a slew of April 26th closings and one resort opening up a lift for mudding on May 2nd and 3rd. We'll see how Superstar lasts, I wouldn't bet against Killington going for May 3rd.

Geoff

IMHO the motivation to be the last resort open will the resort that makes the decision to lose some money in the name of customer service to claim the honor.

While the northeastern resorts are fairing better this season in the economic crisis hanging over the current ski season than the western resorts, a big year businesswise it has not been for most.

After last years uptick in both Vt and NH, I think this season's final tally will be down from last year and once again, way down from the glory years of the late 80's. At least in Vermont. The west was down overall last season.

This year the balance sheets at most resorts are tight in the northeast, staying open until May will cost money, money no resort wants to spend. Which resort will decide that winning the crown is worth more than what it will cost them to stay open. If making/pushing extra snow on SS at kmart can be confirmed by someone than I say they will close last.

Killington has an April 30th season pass early purchase cutoff date. They have already announced "Early November through Early May" for next season. If they have enough snow to stay open, I doubt they would close before April 30th since that labels them as "not to be trusted". Superstar doesn't have the Memorial Day glacier but it does have a pretty substantial base. At the moment, I'd put my chips on a May 3rd closing though I'd bet they go week-to-week after April 19th.

2Planker

No Contest -- MAINE WINS

K-town is hurting... Both the Loaf and the River have set their "last day of REGULAR operations" for Sunday 4/26. After that it's going to be weekends only, at least thru 5/2 5/3

Rogman

If the snowpack on Superstar holds out, Killington, if not, Sugarloaf. I expect both to make a run at May 3rd. Can't see either one going beyond that. Sugarbush and SR will probably go to late April. Snow, Stratton, Jay, etc., will exit before that.

Right now, Killington has the most to lose by closing early. They've staked their credibility on May (for next year). The guns and hoses are already gone from SS, and I don't see any signs of life for a late season snowmaking push, but Nyberg has shown he'll reverse course when necessary.