• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown Bump or Bust III - 3/22/09

mondeo

"70% Backscratcher"? Looks more like a dumper backscratcher to me. Nice work! :cool:

skipping rope maybe???
It's what happens when you plan for an iron cross but just do a plain backscratcher. Knees have the proper bend, didn't arch the back which leaves the waist bent.

As far as my lower air goes, if a combined spread-daffy is a spraffy, what's a combined spread-twister? Sprister?

But I'll take the patent on the "Jump Rope," thank you very much.

2knees

It's what happens when you plan for an iron cross but just do a plain backscratcher. Knees have the proper bend, didn't arch the back which leaves the waist bent.

As far as my lower air goes, if a combined spread-daffy is a spraffy, what's a combined spread-twister? Sprister?

But I'll take the patent on the "Jump Rope," thank you very much.

actually, you drew your legs up into your body which is the cardinal sin on any kind of backscratcher, mule kick or cross. once you do that, the squat look is what follows.

its hard to believe, but i used to throw all kinds of airs when i was a youngen. my best was the good old daffy twist. would've liked to have had that in my arsenal yesterday but its probably been 15 years since i did one.

Greg

Staff member
shot some video from the top of the course while i was waiting around.

The johnnypoach duel had me pissing my pants! :lol: Backseat right out of the start, somehow manages to pull a sick twister-spread, then right back into the backseat, rolling down the windows while launching into orbit off the second kicker, and then flailing the rest of the way to the bottom. That run was priceless entertainment. :lol:

I forgot that I pulled a dumper air in my duel with Bart. :blink: Skiing looked okay though and I tried to throw a monster nossack off the bottom when I felt I lost it. I wish I remembered to lose the fleece though to rock the Sundown tee. Instead I looked like an unkept tool. :lol:

Nice job on that vid Gary!

MR. evil

I was carring WAY too much speed after that jump :blink:. If my bindings didn't release and I somehow managed to stay on my feet (very unlikely regardless of DIN setting) I would have killed myself off that 2nd jump.

Greg

Staff member
I was carring WAY too much speed after that jump :blink:. If my bindings didn't release and I somehow managed to stay on my feet (very unlikely regardless of DIN setting) I would have killed myself off that 2nd jump.

Oof. :blink: I watched that a few more times and you're lucky you didn't pull a downhill04 and faceplant on your binding. That ski was close when you smacked down.

MR. evil

Oof. :blink: I watched that a few more times and you're lucky you didn't pull a downhill04 and faceplant on your binding. That ski was close when you smacked down.

Ya, it was kind of close. I won't lie, that fall did feel so good!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Nice vid, Gary! Hey, I even appeared in it and I didn't compete. ;) Didn't remember the JP run being that funny the first time around, but WOW! :lol: Still, he kept it going; how many could do that under the circumstances?

gmcunni

The johnnypoach duel had me pissing my pants! :lol: Backseat right out of the start, somehow manages to pull a sick twister-spread, then right back into the backseat, rolling down the windows while launching into orbit off the second kicker, and then flailing the rest of the way to the bottom. That run was priceless entertainment. :lol:

The JP run was really funny. :lol:

Didn't remember the JP run being that funny the first time around, but WOW! :lol: Still, he kept it going; how many could do that under the circumstances?

Here is the JP solo, with the crowd noise instead of music.

wow..amazing that he held it together..lol..what degree pitch do you guys think the slope was?? Some mad steezy air!!!! I've never skied a bump run with a kicker in the middle..did they have some kickers set up for practice???

Greg

Staff member
wow..amazing that he held it together..lol..what degree pitch do you guys think the slope was?? Some mad steezy air!!!! I've never skied a bump run with a kicker in the middle..did they have some kickers set up for practice???

The top of the course and the stretch below the lower kicker are moderate pitch, dunno exactly, maybe 20 degrees? The middle and runout are flat. The kickers were open during practice starting a bit after noon.

bvibert

Staff member

Nice! We were going crazy at the bottom when when he was coming down. :beer:

I hope Skidork doesn't have the volume turned up too loud when he's reviewing the video he shot, for part of the time he was setup right next to my loud mouth. :lol:

Greg

Staff member
Nice! We were going crazy at the bottom when when he was coming down. :beer:

I hope Skidork doesn't have the volume turned up too loud when he's reviewing the video he shot, for part of the time he was setup right next to my loud mouth. :lol:

I meant to mention this. The crowd at the bottom, seemingly lead by the drunk AZers :lol: was extremely supportive. I was shocked by the roar after my two runs. That was a cool feeling. Thanks for the support everybody!

Zand

That johnnypoach vid is priceless... can't believe he stayed up through that. Hopefully a lot of this group can get up to Mt Snow closing day this year again.

Highway Star

ROFLMAO......I feel really bad that all the Killington bumpers showed up and stole your A-zone spotlight....the second place guy and the guy in the green jacket in the 3/4 heat are both Killington regulars.

MRGisevil

I meant to mention this. The crowd at the bottom, seemingly lead by the drunk AZers :lol: was extremely supportive. I was shocked by the roar after my two runs. That was a cool feeling. Thanks for the support everybody!

you are welcome, good sir.

bvibert

Staff member

The crowd roar was impressive! It was a nice additional element that you don't get on Temptor.

I'd say that beer definitely helped liven things up a bit. ;) As Randi alluded to in an earlier post; if we didn't know either of the people coming down we'd just make up names and cheer them on! Good times! :beer:

bvibert

Staff member
ROFLMAO......I feel really bad that all the Killington bumpers showed up and stole your A-zone spotlight....the second place guy and the guy in the green jacket in the 3/4 heat are both Killington regulars.

The Killington folks were encouraged to come down, that was the reason for the $1000 purse. No spotlight was stolen, we wanted to show them that Sundown had better bumps than Killington. Everyone that I talked to agreed!

The only person you should feel bad for is yourself, for missing out on a great day. We understand though that you didn't want to be exposed for the sub-par skier that we all know you really are.