• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown Bump or Bust III - 3/22/09

Greg

Staff member
Sorry about the Highway Star intrusion. I sorta baited him I guess with my first post. Lesson learned.

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
Sorry about the Highway Star intrusion. I sorta baited him I guess with my first post. Lesson learned.

not worried dude. if it was taking away from how much fun everyone had that day it'd be different.

Everyone here agrees it was the best day of the year, beating out every comp we've ever put on here at sundown. wait till you see the footage. awesome stuff.

Meatheads had a blast and will feature it in the next flick. and with hammer winning...it should be a good section in the movie. super cool

by the way... if you guys see any of the K-town skiers that came, let them know we enjoyed their company and hope to see them at next years Super Stupendous Spring Sunday Spectacular. of which we're already shooting for more cash prizes

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
got 1 of Iceman in the midst of his triple spread...

johnresize.jpg
BTW, I meant to say it before: NICE shot! :D Your kid is a ripper!

by the way... if you guys see any of the K-town skiers that came, let them know we enjoyed their company and hope to see them at next years Super Stupendous Spring Sunday Spectacular. of which we're already shooting for more cash prizes
Since it was brought up, I think it's worth mentioning that I heard a few request a Saturday comp next year or starting the mogul comp earlier. I know you guys had some unexpected stuff come up that made the event take longer than planned, but I'm thinking the Sat request is either to make it easier for those traveling (so they don't have to rush to work the next day)... or maybe they're a bunch of drunks and didn't want to have to worry about going to work hungover on Monday. ;) :lol:

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
BTW, I meant to say it before: NICE shot! :D Your kid is a ripper!

Since it was brought up, I think it's worth mentioning that I heard a few request a Saturday comp next year or starting the mogul comp earlier. I know you guys had some unexpected stuff come up that made the event take longer than planned, but I'm thinking the Sat request is either to make it easier for those traveling (so they don't have to rush to work the next day)... or maybe they're a bunch of drunks and didn't want to have to worry about going to work hungover on Monday. ;) :lol:

noted... when we get to planning stages for next season we'll start a request thread ...

we've got some ideas to improve it as well...

bvibert

Staff member
was that some rob zombie? if so, nice. he just bought an old farmhouse the next town over.

Yes, White Zombie; Ratfinks, Suicide Tanks and Cannibal Girls

I forgot to do any sort of credits at the end. It was 12:30am when I finished and I was beat, that's why it just sorta ends... :cool:

bvibert

Staff member
Nice.. looking forward to the full length feature film!

Those sequences were some of the best clips that we got, but there's still plenty more video to work with. I think Jeff shot around 45 minutes worth.

SkiDork

BTW - to help identify who's coming down what you really need is a starter AND an assistant starter. The starter simply starts the competitors, and tells the announcer via radio who is in the gate (along with the judges) and the assistant is responsible for lining everyone up correctly and making sure they're ready for their starts. Not sure if thats how it was done because I didn't go to the starting area.

bvibert

Staff member
BTW - to help identify who's coming down what you really need is a starter AND an assistant starter. The starter simply starts the competitors, and tells the announcer via radio who is in the gate (along with the judges) and the assistant is responsible for lining everyone up correctly and making sure they're ready for their starts. Not sure if thats how it was done because I didn't go to the starting area.

There was two guys up there when I was there. I'm not sure exactly what roles they were playing.

gmcunni

other than an occasional missing skier it was pretty well organized up top, at least through the first couple of rounds i was there. two guys at the top, they'd call out the numbers of the next racers, radio down which number was on RED and which was on BLUE. once the racers got started they'd call out the next set of numbers. it was very easy during qualifying, they did it in bib order so you kind of knew when you'd be going. for the first qualifying round everyone racing seemed to know their order before it was called as they would drop into their spots as soon as the racers before them left.

Madroch

noted... when we get to planning stages for next season we'll start a request thread ...

we've got some ideas to improve it as well...

Shorter course, age 41 limited speed no air no mogul ski category, more cowbell..

SkiDork

other than an occasional missing skier it was pretty well organized up top, at least through the first couple of rounds i was there. two guys at the top, they'd call out the numbers of the next racers, radio down which number was on RED and which was on BLUE. once the racers got started they'd call out the next set of numbers. it was very easy during qualifying, they did it in bib order so you kind of knew when you'd be going. for the first qualifying round everyone racing seemed to know their order before it was called as they would drop into their spots as soon as the racers before them left.

then it sounds like maybe something went wrong with the comms to the announcer. Sounds like things were done properly at the start.

bvibert

Staff member
then it sounds like maybe something went wrong with the comms to the announcer. Sounds like things were done properly at the start.

Yes, the announcer definitely had radio issues at the beginning of the comp.

Madroch

More cowbell would be good.

The course was long, but I thought that was good, it added to the challenge.

Slightly shorter would not have removed too much of the challenge for me. ;-).

Greg

Staff member
OK, OK...I'll say it.

That was an awesome ski day. Proves you don't need major elevation or terrain to have a great event.

OK, OK...the bumps were spectacular. Great skiing. The weather made it perfect too. Well made, shows what some dedicated effort will do. Sundown could teach larger places a thing or two. I skied from 11 to 5:30 with 1/2 hour for some grub. I don't know what the other runs are like because I was on Gunbarrel all day. I guess the combo of very smooth lines and not too crazy pitch just made the day flow...I felt great today. Of course, I didn't compete so I didn't have that nervous edge about me. But I was thinking about skiing all those nice lines all day today. Great day.

Worth mentioning...

Johnnypoach: dude, the best series of linked recoveries I have ever been witness to. Probably the most exciting and entertaining run of the day.

2knees: most improved skier. All the work in the bumps shows. Maybe it was the homefield thing, but I don't think so. Nice job.

Greg: 2nd place in above category.

Robin: I hope you're OK. That was a hard fall.

Alan (180): you never disappoint. These guys are amazed that the 40 somethings dominated. I guess I'll have to enter the 50 something/old fogey category next year.

Radio Ron: cool guy, kind of like the ski version of the court jester.

Meatheads: impressive group.

Sundown: Great vibe. I found the shortcut home last night. Still an hour, but not so far away considering what a great time it was. Keep it up!!

Jim - thank you for coming out. I think you picked a great day to first experience Sundown. Like you said, at its prime. Sundown should be proud to hear such kind words about the hill from someone like you that's been around the sport for decades.

Johnnypoach always adds an element of hilarity to the day.And really that's what this is all about - having fun. Thanks for the kind words on my skiing. Lots of Sundown bumps this year.

One of my favorite moment from the day was looking over at you after the Al/Dave qualifier to see this big shit eating grin on your face. You were obviously proud of the Hunter representation there. Everybody was commenting on the speed of that run and the fact they were neck and neck the whole way. I've always said it - Hunter produces some incredible skiers.

2knees

Robin has indeed torn her ACL. We'll be making plans for her surgery in the next week. She is in good spirits and she will be back (her words). I will post updates as they happen.

+++++ vibes for Robin. unfortunately, its the dark side of skiing, especially mogul skiing. Hope she has a nice speedy recovery and keep on that rehab, but i'm sure you know all that from experience.

Greg

Staff member
A short video that I threw together tonight. I'm planning on putting together one more like what I did for the last comp too, with the sound of the crowd (Randi) and announcer (Jarrod) instead of music.

That's a sick teaser. Pat - was that you with the monster spread-twist up top? I just love huge airs that include a twist. The spins are cool, but like Pat was saying on Sunday, the old school tricks are just awesome. I love seeing a big double twister or monster daffy and then the guy just lands perfectly in his line and rips on. I need to spend more time in the park.