• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown Bump or Bust III - 3/22/09

WJenness

Carrie,

Awesome pictures... Even if you have the right tools (DSLR), you have to have the skills to use it. You obviously do. Keep it up.

Looks like a good time was had by all... Great day for it weather wise too, by the look of the pictures.

I'm interested to know what happened (in more detail) with 180... As a guy who runs a lot of competitions (Fencing), I'm probably more intrigued than most as to how the competition is run, and what went wrong.

My basic understanding of the format is 1 qualifying run for everyone, judged individually, rank the competitors, top 24 proceed to a single/direct elimination bracket? Top 8 obviously get byes, 8 Matches in the 32, 8 in the 16, quarter finals, semi finals, bronze match, gold match?

-w

Greg

Staff member
That was funny when Jarrod said "There's Greg on a groomer, something he does very well"

When I was shooting vid from the side of the course, Jarrod said something like, "there's AlpineZone Greg in a prime location to shoot some video. At least he's good at something today." :lol:

2knees

Carrie,

Awesome pictures.

Looks like a good time was had by all... Great day for it weather wise too, by the look of the pictures.

I'm interested to know what happened (in more detail) with 180... As a guy who runs a lot of competitions (Fencing), I'm probably more intrigued than most as to how the competition is run, and what went wrong.

My basic understanding of the format is 1 qualifying run for everyone, judged individually, rank the competitors, top 24 proceed to a single/direct elimination bracket? Top 8 obviously get byes, 8 Matches in the 32, 8 in the 16, quarter finals, semi finals, bronze match, gold match?

-w

from my understanding, they somehow put one of the bib numbers from the under 18 category in the seeding for the over 18 category. Unfortunately, 180's bib number was the one that got replaced by the wrong bib number. We thought that they had fixed it, but when 180 went back up to take his place for the second round, (he had to have recieved a bye), they never called his bib. Not sure how or exactly what went wrong, but it did. It sucks, but things happen. the kicker is that 180 has supported sundown and has attended the frozen january comp, he's a great skier and a great guy and his wife was hurt earlier in the comp.

I just dont want to come across as negative about the whole thing. It was a big comp. tons of people, 4 categories with multiple runs and it went on for quite a while. All in all, i thought they did a VERY good job with the judging. I heard some complaints about not judging turns but i couldnt disagree more. I beat, in speed, the guy i lost to but he was a better skier. I have ZERO complaints about that.

bvibert

Staff member
Love the reflection in the goggles on this one:
3377414817_5e13c77be3_b.jpg
It's like peering into Greg's soul.

madriverjack (and MRGisevil's bunny helmet):
3377416125_6de667dbb5_o.jpg
Nice spread dude. MRJack is a real good skier!

bvibert's sick air:
3378234508_7946fb2f26_o.jpg

3378235562_55885d4a79_o.jpg
That was sick, sure am glad I threw on that orange jacket so everyone could see me real well... :roll: The second pic looks kinda cool considering that I was hanging on for dear life, trying to get back into some sort of line...

Nice shot, I unfortunately missed all but the finish of that run. I think I was trying to secure a beer or something... :(

MR. evil's qualifying run:
3377421749_4fe97ba7ee_o.jpg

3378240026_a0cee999e2_o.jpg

3378241008_92d667b973_o.jpg

3377424821_1876d0c2c7_o.jpg

Poor Tim!
3378243018_8ccc28fffe_o.jpg

Tim, aside from your binding issues you had a nice run. You collected yourself and finished strong. Nice work!

WJenness

from my understanding, they somehow put one of the bib numbers from the under 18 category in the seeding for the over 18 category. Unfortunately, 180's bib number was the one that got replaced by the wrong bib number. We thought that they had fixed it, but when 180 went back up to take his place for the second round, (he had to have recieved a bye), they never called his bib. Not sure how or exactly what went wrong, but it did. It sucks, but things happen. the kicker is that 180 has supported sundown and has attended the frozen january comp, he's a great skier and a great guy and his wife was hurt earlier in the comp.

I just dont want to come across as negative about the whole thing. It was a big comp. tons of people, 4 categories with multiple runs and it went on for quite a while. All in all, i thought they did a VERY good job with the judging. I heard some complaints about not judging turns but i couldnt disagree more. I beat, in speed, the guy i lost too but he was a better skier. I have ZERO complaints about that.

That really stinks for 180... I hope his wife is OK, or will be soon.

Did the under 18 competitor than ski in the 18+ event? Or did they just remove him and bump everyone up one slot and forget about 180?

Sounds like one of those errors that happens when you realize a mistake and do your best to fix it as quick as possible, and end up making another one... I've done that with fencing tournaments before... but we generally always go back and fix it. I can't think of a situation where we've (I generally run tournaments as part of a 4-6 person team) ended up just saying 'oops, we screwed you, sorry...' Granted, where they had probably already run the first 8 matches, it would be hard for them to say 'ok, everything we just did, didn't happen, we've got to start over'... Need to post more information in a viewable location through the event I guess...

Just growing pains / getting used to running these kind of events I'm sure... Next year they'll learn from their mistakes and do it better.

-w

Greg

Staff member
That really stinks for 180... I hope his wife is OK, or will be soon.

Did the under 18 competitor than ski in the 18+ event? Or did they just remove him and bump everyone up one slot and forget about 180?

Sounds like one of those errors that happens when you realize a mistake and do your best to fix it as quick as possible, and end up making another one... I've done that with fencing tournaments before... but we generally always go back and fix it. I can't think of a situation where we've (I generally run tournaments as part of a 4-6 person team) ended up just saying 'oops, we screwed you, sorry...' Granted, where they had probably already run the first 8 matches, it would be hard for them to say 'ok, everything we just did, didn't happen, we've got to start over'... Need to post more information in a viewable location through the event I guess...

Just growing pains / getting used to running these kind of events I'm sure... Next year they'll learn from their mistakes and do it better.

-w

Yeah, it really was too bad. I would have loved to know how far Alan would have gotten. It seemed like a simple mistake and should have been easier to correct. Shit happens, but it sucks it happened to a guy like Alan, especially after Robin got hurt.

powhunter

Great job on the photos Carrie!! Also the vids Jeff!!!! Also thanks to whoever was responsible for playing the Grateful Dead most of the day!!!

steveo

hammer

Great stuff all around. Real nice pictures.

How long has Sundown been maintaining bump runs? Anyone ever think that they would have these types of events?

SkiDork

Brian - y ou rocked. I didn't even have the nads to enter.... You're out there.

Congrats on the hoddie catch too!

Grassi21

Great job on the photos Carrie!! Also the vids Jeff!!!! Also thanks to whoever was responsible for playing the Grateful Dead most of the day!!!

steveo

Seriously, I think they had JamOn playing from XM/Serius radio.

WJenness

Yeah, it really was too bad. I would have loved to know how far Alan would have gotten. It seemed like a simple mistake and should have been easier to correct. Shit happens, but it sucks it happened to a guy like Alan, especially after Robin got hurt.

Things like that you HAVE to catch before you start the elimination bracket...

At fencing tournaments we generally have a round of pools (6/7 fencers per pool usually), and then we post round results (which are seedings for the DE table) and DE tables, it is at that point we hear about any mistakes that were made, while we're still prepping everything to send out and begin that round.

Sample of what we post in the venue:

Pool Results: http://www.prisedefer.com/syc2009/Results/Y14MFP.htm
Rank after Pools (DE Seeding): http://www.prisedefer.com/syc2009/Results/Y14MFR.htm
DE Table: http://www.prisedefer.com/syc2009/Results/Y14MFT.htm (Generally a table of 128 like this one would end up on 4 sheets of 8.5"x11" paper, and obviously only the first round + any byes are filled in)
Final Results: http://www.prisedefer.com/syc2009/Results/Y14MFF.htm (We need Carrie to come take our awards ceremony pictures)

-w

bvibert

Staff member
i want to take a second to give it up for Tim and Brian. You guys stepped up today and supported this shit with no fear. And both of you skied way better then i've ever seen. Tim, i was floored at your qualifying run. I kept looking back at Brian saying i couldnt believe it was you. You were nailing the line and going fast. the airs will come. Kudos to both of you! :beer:

+ 1,000,000

Thanks guys. I would have liked to have had a better showing, but I'm happy-ish with with my performance. Tim was mentioning yesterday how it sucks that he's finally starting to get the feel for bump skiing right as the season is ending, I feel the same way.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
:oops: Thanks, guys. That means a lot to me! :D

I hope I'm not repeating now... I skipped over quite a few last night to get AZ pics up.

3379358668_f044e04b1b_o.jpg

3378541929_13c3bb45fe_o.jpg

3379360398_7c9f6ece75_o.jpg

3379365720_67905e8be8_b.jpg

3379366728_670290af5b_o.jpg

Radio Ron:
3378550129_f10bba9b26_o.jpg

3379368318_50fd86b5f5_o.jpg

3379369112_473e6a57e0_o.jpg

Here's an example of what could have been a great shot...had it been composed better and been in focus. :(
3378552619_895c065c69_o.jpg

MR. evil

Tim, aside from your binding issues you had a nice run. You collected yourself and finished strong. Nice work!

Thanks B, I am little upset with myself about the wreck. I had no expectations of qualifying, but my one and only goal was to have a clean run and hit both jumps. Oh well, something to work on for next year. I hate to admit this, but I really didn’t get to watch you run Brian. I was getting ready for my run and not paying attention to the race at the point.

When it was getting close to my number being called I noticed that 181 (Dave, winner of the Jan comp) was two numbers lower than mine and there was a really good chance that I may have to ski with him. I am not ashamed to admit that scared the crap out of me. That guy would have crossed the finish line before I made it to the first jump. I was so relieved when they called Alan (180) to pair up with Dave. Those two guys killed it on that run.

mondeo

-w
As best as we could tell, they put the wrong number down for 180's bib. 180 was 713, I think his son was 714, but they had 714 in the bracket. I'm not sure how they couldn't fix it.

You got the format right.

The judging has come a long way since last year's competition, but still needs some work. Turns are supposed to be 50%, but my impression is that as long as turns were decent the judges didn't really pay attention to them; I know there was one dual in particular that I watched where the one guy's turns were much better than the other, speed was pretty close, but the guy with sloppy turns won because of "better air." That shouldn't happen. One thing that might work is seperating the judges' duties, like I believe they do in formally judged competitions. One for airs, two for turns. I think at the WC level they have 5 do turns and 2 do airs. So something with fewer judges along those same lines would probably be good.

SkiDork

Thanks! Next year you enter too!

If I lose 50 lbs its a guarantee...

Re: Radio Ron:

That guy is a trip

The whole way home (until the fell asleep) the kids were singing "doh doh doh doh" (the sound Radio Ron makes on each bump when he turns) - good times.

In fact they were watching the meathead films they got, and even in there is a segment with Radio making his signature bump sound!