• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown Bump or Bust III - 3/22/09

bvibert

Staff member
Carrie, thanks so much for taking those pictures and working so hard to get them up so quickly! They came out great. :beer:

I was in bed, fast asleep, by the time she posted up the third picture... :oops:

Also a big thanks to Jeff for shooting video the whole time! I haven't looked at it yet, but I'm sure there's some good shots in there.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
And more (sorry I skipped over the kids last night!):

Spencer:
3378582107_ea66e57fa1_o.jpg

3378582845_64e3009041_o.jpg

3379398250_aaac2abb60_o.jpg

2knees

How long has Sundown been maintaining bump runs? Anyone ever think that they would have these types of events?

they started doing this 3 years ago on lower nor'easter. a short shot with a little drop at the end. the next year, they started from the top of that trail which basically doubled the length. the top of that trail is very flat though. then they seeded bumps on a section of the bottom mixing bowl trail for people to learn on, very flat run. then last year, they seeded nor'easter again but sometime in february, they switched over to temptor which has a decent pitch to it. they left the top of noreaster bumped up also which is the trail you use to get to temptor. This year, they seeded temptor right from the beginning of the season, basically opening day, and then moved over to gunbarrel, their steepest trail, in march once the race leagues were done. they left the beginner bumps on the flatter section of the mixing bowl too. until this weekend but that was due to snow loss.

Sundown used to let trails mogul up naturally but that just wont happen anymore. for whatever reason, we dont get the type of skier there to form them up. they used to hold comps years ago, but i have no clue how they were. i never attended them.

And no, not in my wildest dreams would i think Sundown could pull off an event like yesterday. It was unfreakinbelievable.

bvibert

Staff member
It was nice to meet some new AZers; Skidork, tyrolian skier, iceman, daughter (I forget her name), creaky knees, ZOG (a long time Sundown employee who is impressed by AZ's support for Sundown), madriverjack (who I met briefly the Sunday before).. I think there was more, but I'm drawing a blank.

Nice to see JimG again, who I haven't seen in a long time, I wish I got to ski with you Jim. Good to see MRGisevil out and having fun, she's either been avoiding us or working too hard lately and hasn't made too many apperances. It was nice, as always, to hang out with the rest of the crew too. I was gonna try to list everyone's names, but I'm sure I would forget someone.

I hope that Robin's injury isn't too serious, please keep us updated Al. We were all so bummed when we realized it was her that got hurt...

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Last batch! :D

Shea
3379425456_bb9b2853e4_o.jpg

Shea
3379427722_ae13de6b2b_o.jpg

Shea
3378612007_811df7ca1c_o.jpg

3378603985_ddaabb4e60_o.jpg

Robin
3378604893_b0abf042c6_o.jpg

3379423458_b0d13eb06e_o.jpg

It was a pleasure! Nice to meet so many AZers yesterday! Nice to hang out, drink some brews and chill, and great to see so much talent. So glad I could be there!

Last edited:

Tyrolean_skier

It was nice to meet some new AZers; Skidork, tyrolian skier, iceman, daughter (I forget her name), creaky knees, ZOG (a long time Sundown employee who is impressed by AZ's support for Sundown), madriverjack (who I met briefly the Sunday before).. I think there was more, but I'm drawing a blank.

Nice to see JimG again, who I haven't seen in a long time, I wish I got to ski with you Jim. Good to see MRGisevil out and having fun, she's either been avoiding us or working too hard lately and hasn't made too many apperances. It was nice, as always, to hang out with the rest of the crew too. I was gonna try to list everyone's names, but I'm sure I would forget someone.

I hope that Robin's injury isn't too serious, please keep us updated Al. We were all so bummed when we realized it was her that got hurt...

It was nice meeting you and the rest of the AZoners as well. My daughter's moniker is Snow Princess. We had an awesome time and the people that work at Sundown from the owner on down are very nice and friendly.

BTW, great pictures Severine - as others have already said, you have a great eye for taking photography - great action shots. Does Sundown have an official photographer? If not, maybe you should apply and it could become a little business for you.

Chris Sullivan

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Yesterday was a lot of fun. A big thanks to the AZ community and the other fanatics that showed up.
We learned a lot and will improve on our performance next time. We could be better at tabulating the qualifying rounds, resulting in a smoother flow. Not hosing 180 would be a good idea too.
#701 Eric Cole is 18 years old. The kid lives 20minutes away and I’ve never seen him before. He, zipper lined ice bumps at about 8:30 in the morning.
Iceman has it all, good kid and a great skier.
I don’t think it was Kevin #722’s first competition that guy tears it up.
It was cool to see a field of competitors ranging in age from 8 to old. It is clear that bump skiing has a future here at Sundown.

Greg

Staff member
Meathead Films' "The Hammer":
3379216736_33aed94a1d_o.jpg

3378398901_559dc6a219_o.jpg

3378399577_faa3946bd1_o.jpg

3378400125_f5f5bdb929_o.jpg

Awesome Hammer sequence.

This one is awesome :D
3379220338_8307a59f0f_o.jpg

That shot is money, right there.

MR. evil's qualifying run:
3377421749_4fe97ba7ee_o.jpg

Just look at that sea of sweet bumps. So awesome.

How long has Sundown been maintaining bump runs? Anyone ever think that they would have these types of events?

they started doing this 3 years ago on lower nor'easter. a short shot with a little drop at the end. the next year, they started from the top of that trail which basically doubled the length. the top of that trail is very flat though. then they seeded bumps on a section of the bottom mixing bowl trail for people to learn on, very flat run. then last year, they seeded nor'easter again but sometime in february, they switched over to temptor which has a decent pitch to it. they left the top of noreaster bumped up also which is the trail you use to get to temptor. This year, they seeded temptor right from the beginning of the season, basically opening day, and then moved over to gunbarrel, their steepest trail, in march once the race leagues were done. they left the beginner bumps on the flatter section of the mixing bowl too. until this weekend but that was due to snow loss.

Sundown used to let trails mogul up naturally but that just wont happen anymore. for whatever reason, we dont get the type of skier there to form them up. they used to hold comps years ago, but i have no clue how they were. i never attended them.

And no, not in my wildest dreams would i think Sundown could pull off an event like yesterday. It was unfreakinbelievable.

Yep. We've come a long way. I remember a warm spring day at Sundown in the mid 90's when Gunbarrel was all bumped up. I couldn't ski worth crap back then, but that day left an impression on me. Shannon says he has some old VHS video of old school ripping at Sundown. We're going to try to figure out a way to convert those to digital and post them up.

With the limited terrain they have, I think Sundown did as good a job that could be expected in terms of offering bumps this year. We had one day without moguls all season, one that started on November 28. That my friends is truly rad. Gunbarrel this month was a real treat. The Hammer said to Pat and me last night that there is nothing really like that at Killington right now.

mondeo

I don’t think it was Kevin #722’s first competition that guy tears it up.
I've skied with Kevin a couple times at Killington (along with Frank, the second place finisher, and a few of the other Kmart guys,) and the guy rips. Forget HighwayGnar's top 30, he's probably top 10 if not top 5 at Killington. Basically straightlines O.L., very athletic guy. Frank's another top notch skier.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
BTW, great pictures Severine - as others have already said, you have a great eye for taking photography - great action shots. Does Sundown have an official photographer? If not, maybe you should apply and it could become a little business for you.
I think the shots ishovelsnow are posting are from their official photographer. They definitely had a dude on the snow yesterday taking pics. Thanks for the compliment though! :D

Finally had a chance to watch Greg's vid. I'm on my way out but I had to say that you did a nice job! Love the JP and Hammer interviews. You must have just finished up with the Hammer interview when I came upon you guys on the deck.

2knees

scratch everything i've said.

hands down, the best thing for me is that there will be NO 2knees Chokes III video coming out. Take your super slo mo' crap and stuff it Greg! :lol:

and i'm getting that quarter gold plated and framed up.

Greg

Staff member
scratch everything i've said.

hands down, the best thing for me is that they'll be NO 2knees Chokes III video coming out. Take your super slo mo' crap and stuff it Greg! :lol:

and i'm getting that quarter gold plated and framed up.

As I said to you privately, nice job staying cool and just skiing your runs cleanly. Getting seeded 11th in that field is a major accomplishment.

carbonXshell

Website
vimeo.com
Fox 61 had some video on last night, it wasn't a lot but they did show a girl that crashed head first into a mogul after one of the kickers... was she ok? And the girl from the Clinic on Wednesday... how'd she finish... she looked to me like a very good bump skier.

Greg

Staff member
Fox 61 had some video on last night, it wasn't a lot but they did show a girl that crashed head first into a mogul after one of the kickers... was she ok? And the girl from the Clinic on Wednesday... how'd she finish... she looked to me like a very good bump skier.

The only injury was Mrs. 180 that I'm aware of. Ellen couldn't make it down.