• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bode Miller's Brother in Critical condition

noski

Did you catch that on the news? Motorcycle accident.
(edit- thank you mod for editing the title for me, I was just going in to do that)

noski

noski

noski said:
ChileMass said:
It's his younger brother - http://sports.yahoo.com/ski/news;_y...wLYF?slug=ap-millersbrother&prov=ap&type=lgns

Dude - get your facts straight - you scared the shit out of me...........!!!!!!! :blink:

Dudette. Sorry, I just found the article online- it was the radio station that reported it wrong. That is my next call. Sorry guys, really. I should have verified via a second source first.

I mean, really. Lostone is supposed to be the one dealing in rumor. I know better- sorry Lostone.

ChileMass

noski said:

Sorry dudette........you freaked me out! I am a HUGE Bode fan and the idea of him being hurt or - gulp - dead, is too much to think about. What a shame for his younger brother! 22-year-olds don't yet realize they aren't gonna live forever....

tirolerpeter

Bode's Brother

I hope the young man comes through this. According to the police report, he wasn't wearing a helmet. Without starting another "helmet war" here, I wouldn't dream of riding without one.

smootharc

Sad story....

.....and I always have mixed thoughts when I hear a helmet was not being used. As a rider, it's always a bit scary to read the headlines.

The Motorcycle Safety Foundation has 5 "golden rules" with regard to motorcycling safety....the crux of which is all about assessing, then mananging risk. It was inspired by a huge Californian study called the Hurt Study which found that the risk of death from riding motorcycles could be dramatically reduced - I forget the %, but death risk became a small fraction - by 1) not riding after drinking or using drugs - any amount. 2) Wearing a helmet, and wearing "full-on" protective riding gear. 3) Not riding at excessive speeds. 4) Assuming every motorist approaching a rider from the opposite direction would make a left hand turn in front of the rider (without "seeing" him/her). 5) And taking MSF courses - where things like anticipation, traffic situations likely to cause danger, etc. are ingrained specific to riding.

Other suggestions were practice of braking expertise (90% front, 10% rear) - due to the fact many accidents showed the rider to "panic brake" and slam the rear tire locked in an emergency situation. I practice controlled "tug downs (extra hard controlled braking)" each time out...where I get rolling pretty good, make sure I'm not being followed, and then imagine the deer or car cutting on front of me and, like I'm on a decelerating coaster I slough off say 40 to 50 miles an hour in a few short seconds. It's also helpful to practice "brake then steer", and "steer then brake" (never both at the same time) emergency bike manangement. Unless you do it in practice, it is unlikely you'll do it during an emergency. Much of this applies to, in my way of thinking, expert skiing, where you can be dicey safe, or dicey lucky/stupid.

I don't know the specifics of the accident or the skills of Mr. Miller, and I'm not suggesting anything in the way of specifics regarding his experience or skill, nor will I preach that anyone doesn't have the right to ride as they choose. Driving through NH a few months ago I passed numerous helmetless riders....and each time I got the chills. The few times I've had close calls, I've employed what I've practiced, and it's worked wonders.....leading to an adrenaline shot instead of a trip in an ambulance. Knock on wood.....

deadheadskier

Staff member
After what happened to the Hermanotor, I wonder if Bode strongly discouraged his younger brother from riding a motorcylce.

Tragic accident :(

deadheadskier

Staff member
In response to smootharc - those all seem like no brainers.

One thing that I've always felt was odd is that some states allow you to ride without a helmet, yet if you're a passenger in a car, you'll get a ticket for not wearing a seat belt. Ohio comes to mind. Granted, I'm not advocating that someone should not wear their seat belt, but having a seat belt law and not having a helmet law doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

tirolerpeter

Bode's Brother

I fully understand the thinking that some MC enthusiasts employ justifying their "right" to NOT wear a helmet. They feel they have the right to risk their own lives. Unfortunately, injuries that are worsened by lack of a helmet cost everyone extra money for medical systems. One of my buddies (A NYC fireman) "moonlights" as an ambulance medic (he is an advanced EMT and he also has quite a bit of experience working in hospital ER's). He says that the guys in the ambulance have a name for younger bikers who ride without helmets, or those little skullcap type helmets designed to circumvent the law. They call them "organ doners."