• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best mogul skiing in north east?

gmcunni

curious to know which North East mountain is considered the 'bump mecca" of the North East?

Travel distance aside, which resort is generally considered to have the most/best bumps over the course of an average season?

Reading another thread it sounds like Sugarbush North might be that place but I've not skied 90% of the mountains in the NE so i have no first hand knowledge.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Of the places I've skied, I would rate it something like this

1. Sugarbush
2. Mad River Glen - though this would be tops if more consistent
3. Sugarloaf
4. Killington
5. Okemo - hard not to include them when they probably seed the most.

2knees

i'd agree with dhs list.

in the good old days, there was killington and then everyone else waaaaay down the list.

2knees

for sugarbush do you discriminate between North and South?

BMM can and will disagree, but i'm stating that in the case of south. I've only skied north a couple of times. castlerock has always been a bump lovers heaven when i've skied there along with a slew of other runs. but the pics posted by BMM of north this year are incredible.

actually, reviewing dhs list again, i realize i havent even skied 2 of the 5, but i trust his judgement. :lol:

jaywbigred

Havent skied everywhere but from what I've seen:

1. Mt. Ellen
2. Okemo
3. Lincoln Peak (Castlerock)
4. Killington
5. Mt. Snow

deadheadskier

Staff member
You're both forgetting about MRG. They have some of the best bumps in the East when conditions are right. Of course, you're entitled to your opinion but I would lump MRG in with those 2 at the very least. Just sayin'.

agreed, when conditions are right, I think MRG is tops in the east. The whole place is a giant great mogul field on a good day.

kingslug

You're both forgetting about MRG. They have some of the best bumps in the East when conditions are right. Of course, you're entitled to your opinion but I would lump MRG in with those 2 at the very least. Just sayin'.

Ok, never been though. Maybe next year, I think I'm ready to really explore the place.

Greg

Staff member
Based on my experience, and from what I've heard, the MRV is tough to beat for bumps. Ellen looked great this year. MRG is pretty much a given for good bumps. Lincoln Peak is much more than just Castelrock. Twist, Mall, Spills, Paradise, Morning Star usually also all have great bumps.

I know DHS was kinda being tongue in cheek with the Sundown reference, but it seemed to me to be a pretty solid place for reliable bumps this month. Before things softened up north, Sundown had sweetness going on down here.

The thing about bump skiing is you really don't need much variety. One run of great bumps is usually enough. Looking forward to Okemo soon. Sunapee seems to seed good bumps too. Loon used to be among the best at it around 5 years ago.

boston_e

I agree pretty much with that list up top...

IMO it is hard to beat Bubblecuffer at The Loaf!

jack97

.....which resort is generally considered to have the most/best bumps over the course of an average season?

with the qualifier over the course of the season, you have to consider how they take care of the bumps. Over at sunapee and okemo, I know they have reseeded their bump field after a prolong thaw and ice cycle. In addition, been to Sunapee enuf times to experience first hand that they will blow snow over the bumps when they get too firm.

What I like to know if other places will do the same tho. Quite honestly, a place like MRG (their black diamond) or other place where they call their natural trails are really treated as low maintenance.