• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your best corn harvest?

Greg

Staff member
Me? April 2005, White Nitro Extension, Sugarloaf/USA:

DSC06235.jpg

Like with powder, corn is best skied with a lot of pitch, which Nitro certainly has. Nothing like pushing waves of corn down past you as you ski.

kingslug

Two years ago at Killington. Superstar was so deep that we all looked like speed boats throwing up 10 foot roosters behind us...it was 75 degrees!!

wa-loaf

You can't get a much bigger corn harvest than the bowls at Vail:
Groomed corn, bumped corn, deep rip your skis off corn . . .

IMG_4068.JPG

A couple seasons ago on a Friday afternoon at Blue..the sun came out after morning rain..and there was nobody there so it was just sa weet untracked corn everywhere..the bumps were fantastic and I got dozens of corn faceshots..the snow was was and smooth and soft and hero like and I skied about 30 runs..I feel like the best corn forms from manmade snow..

Zand

April 19, 2008 at Mt. Snow. 75-80 degrees, most of the main mountain and north face open (including some woods on north face), lots of bumps, a sick day. Looking forward to more of the same this April at Mt. Snow.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Honestly couldn't say. It's not like Powder in that you can quantify it with depth, how light it is, lack of crowds to get untracked deep into the day.

Today was a fantastic corn harvest at Sugarbush. 55 degrees, sunny, real nice.

Honestly couldn't say. It's not like Powder in that you can quantify it with depth, how light it is, lack of crowds to get untracked deep into the day.

Today was a fantastic corn harvest at Sugarbush. 55 degrees, sunny, real nice.

I'm looking forward to seeing the TR..

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm looking forward to seeing the TR..

I'm tired, I'll let rivercoil, Andyzee or Snowmonster take care of it at length :lol:. The gist of it, got on the hill at 9:30, skied a couple of hours by myself, met up with Andyzee and the rest around 11:45 at the base of Heaven's Gate. They were heading down to watch the pond skimming. Rivercoil and I skied until 3:30 with a break for lunch, unfortunately didn't run into the rest of the gang again. Skied primarily off of Castlerock and Heaven's Gate, only thing I didn't hit that I wanted to was the Mall, my legs were toast at 3:30. Rivercoil kept going after and was heading over there. Bumps were pretty good, though kind of erratic in size, lines, spacing; never really found the one line you could just let it rip down the zipper. It might have been a better idea to ski North today, but it was still awesome. Castlerock will be done after tomorrow if there's no new snow. Hopefully it stays reasonably dry for Burke tomorrow.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com

awf170

My last four days of skiing on Mt. Washington. 3/15, 3/17, 3/26, 3/28

I don't think I have ever skied so much steep, untracked snow in my life.

First tracks down the headwall and sluice in Tucks, east snowfields, multiple gullies in Oakes, and Airplane Gully in the Great Gulf. Everything else only had 5 tracks max, and could easily be an untracked run if you keep a tight line.

Geoff

The best spring conditions I've ever hit were at Squaw. There is a gate on far skier's left traverse off the Granite Chief lift to something called "Smoothie". I'm getting off Granite Chief and there's a sign that says "Smoothie Open". A jillion acres of unskied corn snow in the trees.

I also skied there quite a bit in May when you'd go far skier's right off Granite Chief to the nose. The corn snow would ooze down throught the troughs after you'd skied your line like lava. You'd hear the hissing noise as it flowed.

New England lift serviced has too few acres for too many people to get perfect corn snow. The best spots at Killington are hike-to or hike-out after they shut down lifts for sections of the mountain. Outer Limits is amazing when nobody has been on it for two weeks towards the end of April. Northstar and Great Bear are great after they stop running the Snowdon lifts.

drjeff

Probably in July of 1989. I was out at Mount Hood for a summer ski camp. One day near the end of the training session, one of the coaches asked if any of us wanted to hike up from the top of where the Palmer Chair ends upto the Volcano crater and then get a more than 3000 vertical foot decsent back down to Timberline Lodge. Pure sweet untracked harvest from the crater down to the lodge(even if we had to hike back over to the lodge with the line we took!)

The thing about it that I appreciate now, but not necessarily then, was how phenomenal a run that was

Geoff

I'm tired, I'll let rivercoil, Andyzee or Snowmonster take care of it at length :lol:. The gist of it, got on the hill at 9:30, skied a couple of hours by myself, met up with Andyzee and the rest around 11:45 at the base of Heaven's Gate. They were heading down to watch the pond skimming. Rivercoil and I skied until 3:30 with a break for lunch, unfortunately didn't run into the rest of the gang again. Skied primarily off of Castlerock and Heaven's Gate, only thing I didn't hit that I wanted to was the Mall, my legs were toast at 3:30. Rivercoil kept going after and was heading over there. Bumps were pretty good, though kind of erratic in size, lines, spacing; never really found the one line you could just let it rip down the zipper. It might have been a better idea to ski North today, but it was still awesome. Castlerock will be done after tomorrow if there's no new snow. Hopefully it stays reasonably dry for Burke tomorrow.

Andyzee showed up at Bay 1 in Killington Saturday around 3:30 with the biggest freakin' Dodge Sprinter I've ever seen. You could house about 20 homeless people in that sucker.

drjeff

April 19, 2008 at Mt. Snow. 75-80 degrees, most of the main mountain and north face open (including some woods on north face), lots of bumps, a sick day. Looking forward to more of the same this April at Mt. Snow.

There were about 3 or 4 days in a row during that stretch last April at Mount Snow that were mighty, mighty fine corn harvests!

frozencorn

Boy, a few. Blue Sky Basin in '04, Killington mid-April in '05 and '07. Stowe and Sugarbush last April. Hell, Stowe on Saturday.