• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MTB shoe recommendations

Greg

Staff member
Probably going to need to replace the shoes this year. Mine are pretty funky and really weren't all that comfortable to begin with. I have a narrow low volume foot. Adidas sneakers fit me best. Any recommendations for SPD compatible shoes? Looking for something with decent grip for hike-a-bike sections. My Nike MTB shoes have a very rigid sole (treads) and are sketchy on wet rock ledges.

bvibert

Staff member
I was thinking that I was going to need new shoes this year as well, but with all the money I've spent on other bike crap lately I'm gonna have to hold off for a bit. I might have to get creative with gorilla glue and duct tape to make sure the current ones stay together.

I guess that doesn't really help you too much, sorry. I guess I would suggest going and trying some on, but I'm kinda conflicted about using a LBS's services if you're going to buy online. On that note Biker's Edge had a bunch of shoes at a good discount the last time I was in there.

sLoPeS

Go platform...

ive tried them all (toe-clip, clipless, platform) and ive been loving the platform setup the most. granted it really depends on the type of riding you are doing, but for all mountain with some freeride mixed in, nothing is more fun. i still get really good grip and not being clipped in allows me to push it a little harder. id check these out:

PD1022.jpg

3832-511798-d.jpg

o3jeff

I picked up a pair of Shimano MT70, but haven't used them yet. Feel a lot more comfortable than the "cleat type" shoe I was using last year.

MR. evil

ive tried them all (toe-clip, clipless, platform) and ive been loving the platform setup the most. granted it really depends on the type of riding you are doing, but for all mountain with some freeride mixed in, nothing is more fun. i still get really good grip and not being clipped in allows me to push it a little harder. id check these out:

PD1022.jpg

3832-511798-d.jpg

I switched to platforms mid way through last season after years on clipless and I love it. Platforms are just more fun plain and simple, and they also allow me to handle the bike better. I am also willing to take more risks. I feel like I am back on a BMX bike. My wife and I have the same pedals in that pic but mine are black. Right now I am wearing some cheap skate shoes that grip really well. When they die I am going to pick up some FiveTen Impact shoes

Grassi21

PD1022.jpg

3832-511798-d.jpg

i have these shoes. the snake skin is steezy. need to find new pair of platforms to stick them to.

MR. evil

i have these shoes. the snake skin is steezy. need to find new pair of platforms to stick them to.

The pedals pictures above are pretty nice, Welgo MG-1's. Did you pick those shoes up online or is there a shop that carries them near you? I am always hesitant about buying shoes online.

Grassi21

The pedals pictures above are pretty nice, Welgo MG-1's. Did you pick those shoes up online or is there a shop that carries them near you? I am always hesitant about buying shoes online.

Bought them off of Chainlove. I should probably try them on in case I have to exchange them. The folks at Chainlove have been good about another exchange I had to make due to the wrong size.

MR. evil

Bought them off of Chainlove. I should probably try them on in case I have to exchange them. The folks at Chainlove have been good about another exchange I had to make due to the wrong size.

One thing to consider is that riding platforms during a rocky technical ride will be much more difficult on a HT than a FS. A HT is going to get thrown around alot making it a hard to keep your feet on the pedal. I am not saying it can't be done as I have never tried it. Even with how much I love my platforms, if I was to take my HT out for a ride I would be using clipless. If you are going to use platforms I would suggest investing in some shin pads, taking one of these pedals to the shins hurts like a MoFo and will chew up your shin real good.

Jisch

I gotta get some shoes as well.

I've got a narrow foot and the Nashbar buckle shoes fit me well - incidentally the Nashbar and Pricepoint shoes are basically 661 shoes. Its hard for me to buy $200 shoes when these $65 ones fit me so well. That said they are not very durable and they usually last only 1.5-2 seasons. I gotta get out to the LBS and try some on - and the rule is if you try them on in the store, you have to buy them there. Not cool to try them on in the store (getting the benefit of the owner having to carry stock) then buying them on-line, bad ju-ju.

Shoes are one thing that you really need to try on, I have receipts from online purchases of shoes that don't fit to prove it. A friend gave me his old (very old and worn) Sidis, they fit like slippers yet are really stiff on the sole. They are really beat though... For $229 new I can get almost 4 pairs of those Nashbar specials. ugh.

John

Greg

Staff member

PD1022.jpg

3832-511798-d.jpg

Trying platforms is not totally out of the question. Obviously there is some trade-off giving up pedaling efficiency. So what is the benefit of platforms to be willing to give that up? I assume it's primarily a "more balls" factor, i.e. not feeling "trapped" by being attached to the bike, you're willing to try more things. Beyond that, are there any other pros?

I'm primarily an XC rider with some AM and very light FR/stuntry. I could see myself becoming more of an AM rider (natural drops/bigger rollers, etc.), but probably won't ever go bigger than 4 or so feet, at least that's what I keep telling myself. Mostly I like to trail ride fast and cover as many miles as possible. I think for that, I'll probably stick with clipless for now, but if I stumble on some good platforms uber cheap, I might throw them on for a ride to give it a try. Are there any shoes that are tacky and good for platforms, but also can take cleats?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
BTW, when I suggested trying them on, I was implying buying them there. I bought my MTB shoes at Biker's Edge last year for $79 +/-. They're the women's version of Brian's Specialized MTB shoes and I find them to be pretty comfortable. Then again, I don't log the miles you guys do. I think they're the Taho or something like that.

I considered MTB shoes (and running shoes, I've learned) to be like buying ski boots; you're best of trying them on in a shop to be sure they're the right ones for you.

Jisch

I have a bike with flats on that I ride every once and a while. It is different than riding with clips. You have to keep pressure on your feet to keep from disconnecting from the bike when you get it up in the air. Not a big deal at all, but it is a bit different. Personally I don't feel right heading into a techy section unless I'm clipped in, but I can see the benefit of being able to bail more easily if the situation arises.

I've ridden with some incredible XC riders on flats and likewise ridden with some guys who did incredible jumps and drops clipped in, it goes both ways. I know a guy who races expert class DH he says there are a significant number of guys who ride DH with clipless (all the guys who moved up to DH from XC).

John

Grassi21

One thing to consider is that riding platforms during a rocky technical ride will be much more difficult on a HT than a FS. A HT is going to get thrown around alot making it a hard to keep your feet on the pedal. I am not saying it can't be done as I have never tried it. Even with how much I love my platforms, if I was to take my HT out for a ride I would be using clipless. If you are going to use platforms I would suggest investing in some shin pads, taking one of these pedals to the shins hurts like a MoFo and will chew up your shin real good.

I have a big purple scar on my shin. I have rode with shin/knee armor since then.

sLoPeS

Trying platforms is not totally out of the question. Obviously there is some trade-off giving up pedaling efficiency. So what is the benefit of platforms to be willing to give that up? I assume it's primarily a "more balls" factor, i.e. not feeling "trapped" by being attached to the bike, you're willing to try more things. Beyond that, are there any other pros?

I'm primarily an XC rider with some AM and very light FR/stuntry. I could see myself becoming more of an AM rider (natural drops/bigger rollers, etc.), but probably won't ever go bigger than 4 or so feet, at least that's what I keep telling myself. Mostly I like to trail ride fast and cover as many miles as possible. I think for that, I'll probably stick with clipless for now, but if I stumble on some good platforms uber cheap, I might throw them on for a ride to give it a try. Are there any shoes that are tacky and good for platforms, but also can take cleats?

i think its all personal preference, but i am not a fan of being clipped into the bike. i have some Candy C's that i used for about a month and then ditched. if i rode buffed singletrack or was covering a ton of distance then thats the way to do it. with platforms i can bail much quicker, and knowing that lets me ride harder. there are sections that clipless is better, but then there are the fun sections where im glad i have platforms. i think i climb techy sections better on flats too. (knocking on wood) i rarely slip off the pedal. downhills are where i really like having platforms. i really cant believe people rock clipless on downhill. that to me is insane. i get it, some people love clipless, but things happen really quick. not being clipped in is once less thing to worry about. as far as shoes that are tacky and SPD....i think 661s might fit ur description.

SH_661_Filtersh.jpg

sLoPeS

really? i ride a HT with platforms and have no complaints. maybe im weird, but i like the rigidness of a HT. granted, if i had a lot of money id buy a FS, but u make do with what u got. as for the shins....ive gotten lucky and not so lucky. when they bite, they bite hard. im gonna invest in some knee/shin guards this season. thing is, they'll get the back of my calf sometimes too. gotta just be alert and toss ur feet out of their range.

Greg

Staff member
Any thoughts on these?

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/17...Shoes/Mountain/Sette-Outlaw-Mtb-Shoe-Grey.htm

Biggest pro for me is they are CHEAP. :lol: Seems like the sole might work on a platform too since it's not overly aggressive. Not sure how tacky the tread is though. Also the review on MTBR said they weren't the best for narrow feet so not sure how well they would work for me. Any experience with these or other Sette shoes?

o3jeff

I think the gray ones I got look a little gayer if that is the look you are going for! You are definitely on the right track with switching to a more sneaker type shoe.

Mine should match my gray and white helmet though.