• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What are you riding this year?

bvibert

Staff member
I know we've done this before, but I figure it's safe to say that some people have changed their rides, so I started a new thread to see what everyone was up to.

Myself, I'm still technically on the same bike, an '02 Specialized Rockhopper FSR, but it's gotten some upgrades for this season (or will shortly). The biggest thing for me was new wheels. My old wheels were really showing their age and required either re-truing or new spokes after every ride, plus the brake tracks were just about worn through. I took the opportunity to upgrade to a disc wheel set and get some disc brakes too, I was really sick of the v-brakes too. Since I'm a big guy I went with some Clydesdale approved wheels, Azonic Outlaws, yes they're a big heavy wheel meant more for going downhill than up, but I think I can deal with the extra weight. I got a pretty good deal on them (I think), and they're convertible to 20mm TA, which is a strong possibility on my next fork. I got a good deal on some lightly used Juicy 5s to go with my new wheels, which I'm pretty stoked about. Since I had integrated shifter/brake levers I needed to get some new shifters to go with the separate brake levers for the Juicys. I picked up a nice new set of LX shifters from eBay, I haven't cabled them in yet, but they feel way smoother than the worn out, 6 year old, Deores that I had been running. I also just ordered a new saddle, since my last one is severely mangled (again), the WTB Power V also comes Clyde approved, it's intended for DH, so hopefully it'll hold up to my weight better (it supposedly has beefy rails). I'm also in the process of replacing all the bearings in the rear suspension, as they were original and mostly didn't rotate anymore...

Throw in a new chain and middle ring and I should be good to go, I hope. :beer:

Is everyone else ready to go? Made any improvements, new bike, etc??

o3jeff

Same bike, Cannondale Rush, only upgrade I have so far is some lock on grips that I bought at a clearance sale.

Also got a new Fox helmet, gloves and shoes too.

Grassi21

Same bike as last year. This is a pic from last year. Yes, I already took the reflectors off. The only upgrade this year will be new pedals. All my new gear is clothing, shoes, and armor.

DSCN2248.JPG

MR. evil

As most of you guys know, I built up a new rig this winter. I purchased a left over 2008 Turner 5Spot frame and transfered over the parts from my old bike. Its finished for now, but I still need to order a new adjustable post. I can't decide between the Gravity Dropper of the All Mountain Post.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/50430-my-new-ride.html#post396472

Frame: 2008 Turner 5 Spot
head set: Chris King
Fork: Manitou Nixon Super Intrinsic w/ 20mm thru axle
Shock: Fox DHX Coil
wheels: Sun Single tracks
rear der: SRAM X7 medium cage
Front der: Shimano SLX for 2x9 drive trains
Shifters: SRAM X7
Brakes: Avis Juicy 5's
Pedals: Welgo MG-1 platforms

Greg

Staff member
Same bike, Trek Fuel EX7:

IMG_6390.jpg

Already replaced those shit Bontrager tires with some Moto Raptors, but I'm thinking about throwing some 235 Stick-E Nevagals on there. Leaning towards replacing the shoes with Sette Enduros which come with a pair of Wellgo WAM-B25 platform pedals. Looking at shin guards if I try the flats too. Otherwise, good to go for gear, I think.

2knees

I just bought a sweet huffy. it has a fake gas tank and some nasty high rider handlebars.

Greg

Staff member
I just bought a sweet huffy. it has a fake gas tank and some nasty high rider handlebars.

Does it have fenders too? Please tell me it has fenders.

2knees

Does it have fenders too? Please tell me it has fenders.

full on with a chain guard to boot.

speaking of boots, you should see the kicker i built in my backyard over the weekend. i've got the workbench beat by at least a solid foot.

gonna hit that shit tonight after dinner. not sure if the diamondback can handle this one.

bvibert

Staff member
Same bike, Cannondale Rush, only upgrade I have so far is some lock on grips that I bought at a clearance sale.

Also got a new Fox helmet, gloves and shoes too.

I love my lock-on grips! It used to drive me nuts how the old ones would rotate and move all over the place.

I thought I was going to need new shoes too, but I took my old ones out yesterday and they're not quite as bad as I thought they'd be, a little glue and they should be good to go. They didn't even stink that much, which is amazing considering that I put them away dirty...

Jisch

I got a new bike in July of last year - Enduro SL Expert. It is the shiznit. It's got Avid Juicy 7's, XT crank, real crap wheels and a Maverick Speedball adjustable seatpost. I guess it weighs in around 31lbs or so, not a lightweight, but 6" of travel front and back... all good.

Man, now I want to RIDE.
John

DSC07153.jpg

o3jeff

I love my lock-on grips! It used to drive me nuts how the old ones would rotate and move all over the place.

That ride we did in the light rain off Stone(you, Gary, Greg and me), my grips were not only spinning like there was oil in them, but they were also sliding off the bars too.

Anyways, just put them on, very nice set up and they seem pretty comfy and sticky. They are the ODI Rogues that I picked up at Country Sport going out of business sale for about $10 along with some misc. tools and a set of cleats for my shoes.

bvibert

Staff member
That ride we did in the light rain off Stone(you, Gary, Greg and me), my grips were not only spinning like there was oil in them, but they were also sliding off the bars too.

Anyways, just put them on, very nice set up and they seem pretty comfy and sticky. They are the ODI Rogues that I picked up at Country Sport going out of business sale for about $10 along with some misc. tools and a set of cleats for my shoes.

It was pretty sweet when I had to take them off to switch my controls around the other day, loosen two screws on each and they were off.

Grassi21

The only upgrade this year will be new pedals. All my new gear is clothing, shoes, and armor.

I just placed an order with Pricepoint. Candy Bros 50/50 pedals and Roach leg armor. Once my tires are shot I will make my last purchase of the season, tires.

Greg

Staff member
I just placed an order with Pricepoint. Candy Bros 50/50 pedals and Roach leg armor. Once my tires are shot I will make my last purchase of the season, tires.

Ha! Me too. Nevegal tires, Roach leg armor, Sette shoe/Wellgo pedal combo, 3 tubes, tire levers, and 2 pairs of those bad ass Price Point socks. :lol:

Wanna buy my Moto Raptors? i think I only have less than 5 days on them. $40 for the pair.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Same ride as last year. Only difference is that at some point, I need to pick up some slicker tires for use during the tri at the end of July. 10 miles on roads with my MTB tires wouldn't be much fun.

Grassi21

Ha! Me too. Nevegal tires, Roach leg armor, Sette shoe/Wellgo pedal combo, 3 tubes, tire levers, and 2 pairs of those bad ass Price Point socks. :lol:

Wanna buy my Moto Raptors? i think I only have less than 5 days on them. $40 for the pair.

Maybe on the tires. If you bring them along next time we cross paths I can take a looksy.