• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What are you riding this year?

Greg

Staff member
Maybe on the tires. If you bring them along next time we cross paths I can take a looksy.

I can bring them Sunday morning when you come riding with us. :razz: 2.24s. Almost new:

WTB411.jpg

bvibert

Staff member
Add a new fork to my list-o-parts this year. I couldn't help myself with the additional 20% code that Tim sent me. Now I'm done buying stuff for the year, I hope.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Evil Imperial frame number 18. I think this is the 8th season on it! Just got my 2003.5 forks back from Zocchi. Picking up a new wheel set and handlebars.
Can't wait for lush green foliage and the brown ribbon sniggling out infront of me....

bvibert

Staff member
Finally got all my parts in yesterday. I started building it all back up last night (in between battling my kids about bed time :roll: ). Everything seems to be going together well. I have the rear suspension put back together and the fork on the frame (though I didn't cut the steerer tube because I might want to raise my stem up a bit, so I put a bunch of spacers on top of the stem for now). I also got rim tape on the wheels and the rotors mounted up. I put the wheels on the bike to get the brakes mounted up, it looked a little funny sitting in my living room sitting on the rims with no tires. I purposely didn't mount the tires because I was working inside and they are still muddy from my last ride.

I still need to mount the tires, re-attach the rear derailer, run the shifter cables, connect the new chain, and adjust the brakes. Then I should be ready to ride! :D

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
The Frankenbike! Hahahaha! I give you a lot of credit, Brian. If it were me, I would just accept the fact that you break your bike entirely within a season and just buy a new cheap one every year; seems like you spent enough on parts to do that anyway. ;)

bvibert

Staff member
It's much more fun to buy parts and rebuild stuff. You know me, I like building stuff! :D

A pic of the new wheels:
brianswheels3.jpg

BigJay

Same setup as last year... new chain, chainrings and cassette... but that's it...

Transition Covert :: Perfect new england squishy. 140mm of travel each end. Pike fork... Crossmax ST... bits of carbon here and there and 28lbs.
Gary Fisher Rig SS 29er :: Bought a used Reba on ebay because the rigid fork was harsh for more then 2 days of riding... yeah, i'm a wuss!
Kona Jake The Snake :: My commuter... but on "summer setup" with Sram components and Shimano wheels... new bar tape and cables... it's been a rough winter!

Trail of Tears, MA
IMG_4201.jpg

Greg

Staff member
I still need to mount the tires, re-attach the rear derailer, run the shifter cables, connect the new chain, and adjust the brakes. Then I should be ready to ride! :D

Post a pic of the final result. White rims, huh? Kinda matches your ski helmet. :lol: ;) (I should talk given the Twisters with white bindings)...

Trail of Tears, MA
IMG_4201.jpg

Great pic. Now I'm getting psyched. I hope to do some more rides out on the Cape this year too.

bvibert

Staff member
Post a pic of the final result. White rims, huh? Kinda matches your ski helmet. :lol: ;) (I should talk given the Twisters with white bindings)...

Yeah, I know, I've had a think for white stuff lately, that and they were $50 or more cheaper than other color options. I'll be sure to post up a pic when I'm done.

bvibert

Staff member
Finally got a rolling chassis back together tonight. I got the brakes adjusted nice, the rear derailer mounted and cabled, the front derailer cabled, and some tires mounted. It's kinda funny, my old 2.00 wide tires look huge on the much wider rims.

Before I mounted up the rims I weighed them to compare to the old ones. I weighed each rim with no tires or skewers, just the rip tape/strip and, in the case of the new wheels, the rotors. While the wheels didn't feel appreciably different in my hands I was surprised there wasn't more of a weight difference in reality. The front was 438g heavier and the rear was 380g heavier, that's less than a pound a piece. If you factor out the rotors it's less than 3/4 of a pound difference per wheel. I understand that's a lot when you're talking about the rotating mass, but I was expecting it to be more since everyone says how heavy they are. My old wheels were relatively narrow XC type wheels, so I don't think they were particularly heavy.

Anyway, I'm babbling, I still need to adjust the derailers and cut the excess cables, install the chain, finish routing the brake hoses, and do all the final adjustments (cockpit adjustments, check headset again, adjust suspension, etc..). Then I should be ready for a ride, well I did roll it down the driveway tonight, but I don't think that counts. I almost fell a few times when I tried to pedal. :oops:

Here's a crappy pic of the progress so far:
040309_0825.sized.jpg

o3jeff

Looks good, can't wait to check it out at Nass tomorrow morning.

Do you know what the complete bike weighs?