• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon's Closing Date

thetrailboss

Staff member
didn't realize SkiNH was a membership site. No idea if tenney participates.

It's the state trade group, much like the Vermont Ski Areas Association. The organization represents the industry and promotes it. Much like VSAA, members pay dues. IIRC there was something said on here about 10e's lack of participation, in particular a couple years ago when they decided "not to open" for the season, folks had bought the SkiNH passes and had 10e tix which were no good. They burned a lot of people that season. I can imagine that SkiNH probably doesn't miss them.

Telemechanic

Well, I still hope it's wrong.

Sorry jerryg but its true. I'm a Loon employee. On Tuesday 3/31 we we're told the mountain would remain open until the 19th only if business picked up. The next morning the closing date was officially changed to April 12th. I think the rainy days in the weather forecast probably made the senior staff change the date so quickly. We have plenty of snow to ski for another week even with some rainy days but when the sunny days are very slow (like today) you know the rainy days will really hurt. The company is being very conservative these days. We year round employees are taking two weeks off immediately following last chair on 4/12. We've haven't been asked to do that in nearly ten years.

I'm looking on the bright side: I can ski a weekday at Tucks a week earlier than last year, I'm going backpacking in Massachusetts for a week, I might even get a couple days in at a sister area in Maine and I still have a job to go back to. :beer:

Vortex

Telemechanic... Please come up and join us. I enjoy reading your posts and keeping us up on loon events. My family went back for the vertical challenge last weekend and met up with some old friends. Good luck.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
I must say, today was pretty awesome at Loon!! Practically no one was there, haven't seen soooooooo many empty gondolas! Race City Trail was butter, hit it more time today than all season!

Telemechanic

Telemechanic... Please come up and join us. I enjoy reading your posts and keeping us up on loon events. My family went back for the vertical challenge last weekend and met up with some old friends. Good luck.

I skiied Sunday River a week ago today. It was really good spring skiing, one of the best days for me this year. When do they plan to close?

Loon was definitly quiet today. Except for a large ski school group of tweens (Brits I think) in over their heads on Ripsaw I didn't see more than half a dozen people on the South Peak Trails. Two of them were my parents.

AMAC2233

I must say, today was pretty awesome at Loon!! Practically no one was there, haven't seen soooooooo many empty gondolas! Race City Trail was butter, hit it more time today than all season!

Love that trail. If you go to the far right of Race City, at the end of the day on a powder day...jackpot! It's usually untracked the whole way because of the race course on the left.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Love that trail. If you go to the far right of Race City, at the end of the day on a powder day...jackpot! It's usually untracked the whole way because of the race course on the left.

Even today you could make fresh tracks far right (obviously not pow), my last three runs was off of the 7 Brothers Chair, and untouched snow at 3PM!

Vortex

I skiied Sunday River a week ago today. It was really good spring skiing, one of the best days for me this year. When do they plan to close?

Loon was definitly quiet today. Except for a large ski school group of tweens (Brits I think) in over their heads on Ripsaw I didn't see more than half a dozen people on the South Peak Trails. Two of them were my parents.

April 26th is SR closing Date. We usually have some good BBQ's going in barker Lot apres ski as well. The regular crew meets at 11.30 in barker lodge or deck.