• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 4/5/09

drjeff

Date: 4/5/09

Resort: Mount Snow

Conditions: Temps in the 30's/low 40's, mainly sunny, an inch or two of wet snow overnight, windy, spring conditions

Report: First thing this AM, the winds were causing problems in the Main Base Area/Northface with wind holds on Canyon, Grand Summit and Northface. I used this as an advantage to break out the big lens for my DSLR, and take ALOT of pics of my kids lapping the Discovery Triple

Picture_099.jpg

My 3 year old son practicing his power wedge

Picture_077.jpg

My 5 year old daughter displaying some good form

Finally about 10, the wind let down enough to get Canyon spinning (and the kids had to get to their respective programs) so my wife and I went out for a few runs

Picture_137.jpg

My wife harvesting the corn on Snowdance

About 11, they started spinning the Grand Summit, but the Northface was still on wind hold

Picture_159.jpg

My wife quit around noon to head back to CT, and since it was turning into a GREAT spring day, I figured I'd go check out Carinthia. Whether or not today was the "official" gaper day, I'm not sure, but the 80's/90's neon was out in force and made for some very entertaining rides on Nitro watching the sessioning going on!

Picture_141.jpg

Picture_143.jpg

Picture_145.jpg

Picture_144.jpg

Picture_142.jpg

Lastly, a view of the mountain from my back deck about 3PM

Picture_164.jpg

The fan gun trails are in decent shape, the "classic" snowmaking trails are variable, some with very good coverage and some with sketchy coverage, and the natural snow trails that I saw (due to weather I never did get to the Northface this weekend) are done. The mountain is closing this Monday - Thursday due to a generally wet forcast, and reopening Friday through Sunday atleast. After that?? Who knows, definate talk around the mountain about next Sunday being the last day :( However, if atleast the Carinthia side pulls crowds next weekend like it had today, I wouldn't be suprised if there's atleast 1 more weekend of Carinthia after Easter, and potentially more as there's ALOT of snow available to push around over there, and they've also been moving piles of snow from adjacent already closed trails into position for even more available snow. We'll have to see!

Last edited:

vcunning

Great photos!. E looks like she is an expert carver! I bet it's hard to keep up with her.

And it's amazing what a warm sunny day does to the outfits people wear.

loafer89

I skied at Mount Snow yesterday with my son. Conditions where highly variable from mountain face to mountain face, even from trail to trail. We did get over to the North Face and we skied Challenger which is a nice trail that still had very good natural cover. The new snow however was extremely sticky and made fluid turns very difficult.

Fallen Timbers had great groomed snow for 50% of the trail, before the wet sticky natural snow slowed things down. The runout sucked and was painfully slow.

The main face is okay, Lodge has lots of thin and bare areas about halfway down and the snow was suprisingly thin for a fan gun trail. Ridge had good corn snow but is down to base ice in lots of places and it's days are numbered. Carinthia was good with huge whales and hits.

Overall, Stratton has better coverage on a majority of it's trails than does Mount Snow, at least they did as of last tuesday.

Glenn

Great pics with the SLR!

We never made it over; just too much to do in Dummerston. I was hoping Euler was going to show up to help move some furniture....or help rake two years worth of wet soggy leaves. HA!

your daughter has better form than 95% of the skiers at Blue...and nice park pictures..I love a good train in the terrain park..JEA!!!!

Euler

Great pics with the SLR!

We never made it over; just too much to do in Dummerston. I was hoping Euler was going to show up to help move some furniture....or help rake two years worth of wet soggy leaves. HA!

HA indeed...I spent Sunday trying to clear out some swales/ditches around my property. I must have been quite a sight - the one armed ditch digger!

Glenn

Oh man! That must have been a tough task with one arm!