• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Proper Ski storage?

automagp68

Just wnated to see if you guys had some ski storage tips? Any special sutff to put on them for the off season or recomendations on places/tempatures to store them in.
Thanks!

Greg

Staff member
Toss them in a basement closet. Pull them out in the fall. Maybe get them tuned. ;)

hammer

Toss them in a basement closet. Pull them out in the fall. Maybe get them tuned. ;)
Good question, and one I think about at the end of each season...

If I know I'll be bringing my skis in for a tune before the beginning of the season, is there really anything else I have to do? I keep reading about making sure you wax them, etc. but is it really needed?

automagp68

Yea i wasnt sure what to do, i figured the basement, = dry and cool

But i wasnt sure if you should take the wax off, put it on, wrap them in plastic rap lol or anything special

Angus

I was told to wax but don't scrape off until next fall - helps the surface. this applies to both downhill and x-c skis

dmc

Your transformation is almost complete..

I have a ski locker at Hunter(dry/cool)... So I toss my A and B decks in the locker after Tucks...

I'll get one of them tuned before the season starts the other I'll just trash on opening...

Warp Daddy

I apply a hot wax BUT don't scrape til fall

I also apply a wax over the edges by crayoning it in to prevent any oxidation.

Then in fall scrape summer storage wax then do a hot finishing wax, re-scape and buff it out

dmc

But i wasnt sure if you should take the wax off, put it on, wrap them in plastic rap lol or anything special

Waxing is probably a good idea to keep the base from getting too dry...

wa-loaf

Yea i wasnt sure what to do, i figured the basement, = dry and cool

I usually put a coat of wax on them, more to keep the edges from rusting than to protect the base.

automagp68

Your transformation is almost complete..

I have a ski locker at Hunter(dry/cool)... So I toss my A and B decks in the locker after Tucks...

I'll get one of them tuned before the season starts the other I'll just trash on opening...

What do you mean after tucks?

automagp68

I figured you were talking about tuckermans ravine. Just wanted to make sure. Speaking of that, why is tuckermans the best to ski later in the season. Ive heard more then a few people say that. Does it keep the snow the longest.
Ive never been there and no nothing about it. I was looking at cannon for this weekend. Any thoughts!

Last edited:

sLoPeS

ill tune my edges and hot scrape unitl the bases are clean. then ill throw on a thick coat of hot wax. let them sit, then strap the skis together and put them in my room. come fall, just scrape the wax and ski. skis should be stored where the temp and humidity are fairly consistant. so like an attic is not the best place or garage. the key is to throw wax on them so they dont dry out and instead can absorb some wax.

Glenn

I apply a hot wax BUT don't scrape til fall

I also apply a wax over the edges by crayoning it in to prevent any oxidation.

Then in fall scrape summer storage wax then do a hot finishing wax, re-scape and buff it out

That's pretty much what I do. I also hit the topsheets with some Meguire's quick detailer...because that how I roll. OCD.

automagp68

That's pretty much what I do. I also hit the topsheets with some Meguire's quick detailer...because that how I roll. OCD.

So do you guys have the tune shop do this or is this something you can do on your own?
Sorry, i just got back on the boards this season sense i was 10 years old and wasnt sure so please forgive the foolish questions.

Talisman

So do you guys have the tune shop do this or is this something you can do on your own?

I do my own tuning it is faster and cheaper than going to a shop. The shop is used for a stone grind mid-season which is hard to recreate with a riller bar. The end of the season routine is the typical base repair of torn, gouged and shredded p-tex, sharpen the edges and a hot wax. I scrape the waxed skis so they are ready to go. The old scrape the wax in the Fall routine is silly if you are storing your skis at room temperature. Do you think Voilkl, K2 and Rossi are storing the new skis with a special wax that is scraped at the shop?

Waxing recreational skis is pretty easy: clean the bases with a clean rag dipped in degreaser like citrus-solvent, yard sale iron (travel irons are best) set to wool, hold the ski brakes in place with a thick rubber band, wide temperature ski wax dribbled on the base of the ski (I'm partial to Hertel's Hot Sauce), ironed in to the bases with the warm iron (watch for smoking), allow to cool and scrape with a ice scraper until the wax is almost gone, use a bronze wire brush to put some structure in the wax and buff with a cork. If you race the process is more complicated..

Madroch

I clean bases, thick coat of wax (no scrape) and drop them in the basement (cool and dry). I tune my own out of enjoyment, but can't vouch for the quality (can't beat the price, save the ever increasing cost of wax). The guy (owner I beleive) from a local shop (Fatty's in Canton) was kind enough this last fall to walk me through a complete tune after I told him I hadn't done it in many years. Nice guy.

Edit-- I will do base repair and file before wax.