• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf, April 13, 2009

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
[FONT=&quot]Wall to wall snow coverage, but only skiable trails were groomers. LGR, groomed smooth trails was it. Very easy to ski. While temps were in the high 30s to low 40s even on the upper mountain and very sunny, only the very bottom softened. The sun shined on all the trails all day, even though it’s north facing. That made a big diff. Skied the day with the fellow I met from Skowhegan. I got the full inside scoop on the Maine areas, the politics, real estate, etc. Really nice place, I really enjoyed myself. Rockstar parking and service. Wind holds kept us from the top and some other terrain it was very gusty, but the sunshine and temps made it no problem up high. Limited lift service had me riding the Tbar for a little bit. The Super quad was the only real lift running, and in the afternoon the winds were so gusty that it was causing the sensors on the towers to keep tripping. By 230 they had shut down the not so super quad. Then relegated to the double runner and to the tbar since even timberline wasnt running.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The lodge is really quite nice, up to date and easy to get around. I understand that having only one base lodge makes things quite crowded during high season. The cafeteria only had the "Beach" grille running, which frankly wasn't very good. Steak and cheese (looked like Velveeta, ick!) on a very burnt roll.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Views were sensational, especially of the Bigelow range. Had to be maybe 100 people on the slopes total![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It was amazing how wall to wall the coverage is. The only brownouts were right around the loading zones for the lifts. For some reason the cell phone camera went into ultra-crappy mode, so here's what there is:[/FONT]

b0413090947a.jpg

b0413091151.jpg

b0413091151a.jpg

b0413091302.jpg

b0413091444.jpg

b0413091501.jpg

b0413091503a.jpg

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Afterwards, I found a Pisten Bulley 300 for sale and brought it home. It’s a beauty! Fits well next to the tram and in view of the chairlift.
[/FONT]

pb0414090803.jpg

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Even the radio stations get into the moose thing![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
rad0413091654.jpg

[/FONT]

wa-loaf

Nice report, looks like they can go well into May.

The cafeteria only had the "Beach" grille running, which frankly wasn't very good. Steak and cheese (looked like Velveeta, ick!) on a very burnt roll.

You should have hit The Bag for a burger.

shpride

Love the Piston Bully. I got one while I was up there too. Was the box all in French on yours? Ours was and we were wondering if they sold it just in French or in both French & English.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Love the Piston Bully. I got one while I was up there too. Was the box all in French on yours? Ours was and we were wondering if they sold it just in French or in both French & English.

The manufacturer is SIKU, in Germany.

German, French, Italian, Ukranian, Greek and other languages.

bigbog

At least the Tbar got you up billski! :lol: ..Yeah...these early Spring days with the wild Maine winds can often put some of the lifts to rest pretty quickly...:angry:. I most always come with my AT setup once into April(just in case). Indeed..sounds like they really scaled down grooming...for mostly the wkends....anything over near King Pine open..?...*probably saving that for ReggaeFest..ARRGGGHHH! If I remember correctly?..there was a skiing death close to-if not during ReggaeFest last season...plus the Richardson death probably has more than one mountain staying on the lame side.

STeveD

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
At least the Tbar got you up billski! :lol: ..Yeah...these early Spring days with the wild Maine winds can often put some of the lifts to rest pretty quickly...:angry:. I most always come with my AT setup once into April(just in case). Indeed..sounds like they really scaled down grooming...for mostly the wkends....anything over near King Pine open..?...*probably saving that for ReggaeFest..ARRGGGHHH!

STeveD

It's kinda weird. All the trails are "open", but you would have been major stupid to even test trhe non-groomers, they were that iced. I guess that's what marketing departments do... The trails will be damn sweet once it does get up to let's say 50.

King Pine was entirely closed up. Looked good though.