• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

MTB Tire Pressure

bvibert

Staff member
I found these sentences amusing:

:blink: I never thought of grass as being "rough ground"... :lol:

Well, I don't think they meant someones yard. Sounds like it was more like the grassy area next to a road. It's not necessarily flat under that grass. They should have tried the test on rocky and/or rooty terrain though.

bvibert

Staff member
It depends on how anxious I am to change a pinch flat. I like around 35, but it's usually more like 40 to help keep the pinch flats down...

I lowered my pressure in the rear a bit today, since I'm on the HT now, and sure enough I got my first pinch flat since switching to 40psi last year. :(

Greg

Staff member
I lowered my pressure in the rear a bit today, since I'm on the HT now, and sure enough I got my first pinch flat since switching to 40psi last year. :(

You owe me a beer. I predicted that as soon as you started releasing air.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
You have to be smooth to take full advantage of low pressure...you can't just sit and spin thru everything.

bvibert

Staff member
You have to be smooth to take full advantage of low pressure...you can't just sit and spin thru everything.

Smooth is something I've never been accused of being. However, I was far from just sitting and spinning through everything today. I was up out of the saddle quite a bit. The pinch flat happened when I was descending a rocky section and the rear tire inadvertently came down on a jagged rock.

But, yeah smoothness is definitely something to work on.

Greg

Staff member
You were running way too low on the rear on Sunday Brian. You probably released 10+ PSI. I've found a quick half second tap on a presta valve releases easily 2 PSI. When I was riding behind you, that tire was all squashed.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Smooth is something I've never been accused of being. However, I was far from just sitting and spinning through everything today. I was up out of the saddle quite a bit. The pinch flat happened when I was descending a rocky section and the rear tire inadvertently came down on a jagged rock.

But, yeah smoothness is definitely something to work on.

Didn't meant to sound like a dick there....sometimes it just happens.

bvibert

Staff member
Didn't meant to sound like a dick there....sometimes it just happens.

I didn't think you were being a dick, sorry if I came off too defensive sounding. I definitely have to work on smoothness.

For now I'm just gonna stick to 40 psi, even if means a rougher ride.