• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Shortcut to Sugarbush

Zand

What's the route from 89 across that mountain to 100? Trying to find an alternative to going past Montpelier.

EDIT: 89, not 91. I'm not looking to add THAT much of a drive time haha.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Would like to know the same. My GPS took me through Bethel and Stockbridge last time, but I've heard of another route. If there is one, what kind of time savings can I anticipate versus going all the way up to Montpelier?

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Would like to know the same. My GPS took me through Bethel and Stockbridge last time, but I've heard of another route. If there is one, what kind of time savings can I anticipate versus going all the way up to Montpelier?

There are several routes from I89 and IMHO they are all about the same timewise. Bethel>Stockbridge is not one of them...:lol: Throw the GPS out the window and get a map, they don't work real well in rural areas. People are always being directed to driving on bad roads and even roads closed in the winter using them darn things. :wink:

Get off the Northfield exit, go left(west) down the hill, cross Rt 12 to Lovers Lane, left onto Rt 12A to Roxbury, take right to drive over Roxbury Gap. Other side of gap take left at 4 way to Warren Village.

Getting off I89 further north at the Middlesex exit>100B south is the same timewise plus doesn't beat up your vehicle as much.

Some people like the Bethel exit>Rt 12 north thru Bethel>Bethel Mtn Road(paved) > Rochester> north 0n Rt 100. When kmart ran SS into June it was cool to see a sliver of white among the sea of green driving over the top of this gap in May and June.

Others like getting off at the Randolph exit. Probably cause there is a mickee-D's right there, drive down hill into Randolph, north on 12A to Roxbury then over the gap.

Which one is the fastest....depends on the traffic and who you ask.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
My suggestion is Bethel Exit (Exit 3)--> Route 12 North through Bethel --> Camp Brook Road (I think) on the LEFT (about 3-4 miles north of town). Sign says "ROCHESTER 10") right there. Stay on this road...it takes you over Bethel Mountain...dumps you into Rochester and Route 100.

powbmps

I can't believe you guys are revealing these top secret driving stashes ;-).

I took the route skiresortobserver mentioned on the way home yesterday. Saved several miles and 5-10 minutes over the exit 9 route. All it takes is one slow car in front of you though. Take it easy on the dirt sections as there are a couple of "rough" spots.

There's quite a few construction zones on 89 in NH right now so look out for lane closures and Staties.

win

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Because of a permit condition, Sugarbush is not allowed to publish the route that my family always took from Connecticut and which I beleive is the fastest by five minutes in good weather. That is to get off exit 4 on 89 and take 12-A to Roxbury and follow the Roxbury Gap road into Warren and then take West Hill Road to the parking lot or turn right out of Warren onto Route 100 and take a left on the Access Road up to Lincoln Peak or Mount Ellen,

bobbutts

I took this route yesterday for my second annual Sugarbush 04/24 visit.. nice views of LP from up there from 1 year ago.

bush_panorama.jpg

ski220

Warning, Warning, Warning --- IMO

Unless you are prepared to get lost and or stuck behind a slow vehicle just to save 5 -10 minutes, stay on I89 to rt.100B south exit.

Zand

Warning, Warning, Warning --- IMO

Unless you are prepared to get lost and or stuck behind a slow vehicle just to save 5 -10 minutes, stay on I89 to rt.100B south exit.

Yeah, I just stuck to the beaten path today. If I'm bored one weekend next fall I might go check out some shortcuts and see if they're any good.

Lostone

Missing from the above is Exit 3, 107W to 100N, which I like a lot. There is a shortcut onto Blackmer Road, which goes to the right and down, off 107.

Unfortunately, I forget what landmark I used to find Blackmer Road. But as I recall, it is pretty easy to find. (Famous last words, :dunce:)

I like Roxbury Mountain Road in the summer, but not sure how recovered it is from mud season or how much you like your car.

Second fastest, IMNATHO, is Bethel Mtn Rd. (Camp Brook Rd, from that side), but I've recently been told there are a couple of really nice frost heaves at the top, so you should take that into consideration.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Never understood people getting off here in Northfield. You drive 10 miles north past randolph, then get off the highway and drive 10 miles south on rt 12a. Definitely faster to get off in randolph and take 12a N if you are heading towards Roxbury gap. Mid winter, you will be fine with snow tires. If you don't have snows, go around. Spring time you may need 4wd and descent ground clearance.

atkinson

Website
www.sugarbush.com
Another option is to try Northfield exit to Northfield Falls, left on to Cox Brook Rd/ Moretown Mountain Rd., over the Moretown Gap to Moretown village.

John

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Moretown gap is way longer then Roxbury Gap, exp. if you get off in Randolph..If you get of in Northfield, it's still marginally longer, but not quite as steep.

xwhaler

resurrecting an old thread....I'm heading up to Sugarbush Friday night. Wondering if the options on this thread are all still best practice given any potential flooding issues or anything more recent.
I will be in my Tacoma with All Terrains so I don't mind some bumpy roads if I can save some time.

win

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
All roads to Sugarbush are open. The State did a great job of getting all the roads repaired in time for Ski Season. See you here this weekend.

skimagic

I drove the Bethel-Rochester Route today.. do not take in snowstorm. I was behind schoolbus that could not get up the bethel side of the mountain. Lost a lot of time on this route. The snow ended mid-day and the ride back to 89 the same way from Lincoln peak was 48 minutes. minor construction in Granville gulf.

pepperdawg

A nice drive over the top if the weathers good....

Some people like the Bethel exit>Rt 12 north thru Bethel>Bethel Mtn Road(paved) > Rochester> north 0n Rt 100

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
All roads to Sugarbush are open. The State did a great job of getting all the roads repaired in time for Ski Season. See you here this weekend.

I'll be there. Saturday for sure. Maybe Friday or Sunday too.
How can I meet you and get your autograph?
I'm dead serious!