• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

My first trip to Mt.Washington Sept. 03 - 05 2005

zelmergobi

Website
www.foottrailmarker.com
Date(s) Hiked:09/03-05/2005

Trails(s) Hiked:Edmond Path,Crawford Path,Lion Head trail,Tuckerman Ravine trail,Dry River trail,Mt.Eisenhower trail

Total Distance:not sure 10-20 miles

Difficulty:easy to moderate

Conditions:windy,muddy

Special Required Equipment:sturdy hiking boots,gators

Trip Report:

(Intro)
Labor day weekend is a great time to rest, relax and enjoy last warm days of summer. That sounds great to lots of people- but not to me. This is when my backpacking season starts. I can’t wait to leave crowded streets of New York and spend some time in the mountains. Unfortunately I always have trouble to plan my escapades. I never know for sure where I’m going and how I’m going to get there.
This year I wanted to go to New Hampshire’s White mountains, and climb Mt. Washington. The plan was simple. Find the best transportation route, the best time, get tickets and go. After checking Amtrak and Greyhound schedule it was obvious that it’s not so simple. Train and bus were leaving only in the morning. I would have to go on Saturday AM, arrive Saturday PM and then come back Monday AM. That would leave me with only one day and two nights of backpacking. Not a lot of “fun” time. My second option was to go to Adirondack’s High Peaks and climb Mt. Mercy. That also didn’t work for the same reason. The only other alternative was to go either to Catskills or to Delaware Water Gap. I already went to Catskills many times before and I love that place, but I was ready for something new.
(Day 1)
Finally it was Friday September second, when I was still at work that I got a great idea- I would rent a car (I don’t own my own) and I could go wherever I wanted. The race to find a car was on, but I couldn’t find any available cars in Manhattan on Friday before a long weekend. That’s when I called 1-800-RENT-A-CAR and I found one dealer in Queens that had some cars still available. When I finished work I got to the dealer at about 4:30 pm. The car that I reserved was a compact Kia. There was nothing wrong with that car except I love American cars. That’s when I found out that there was a Jeep Liberty still available. I took it without hesitation. After I got home, my wife Jola and I loaded our packs and we finally drove of at approximately 6 pm. The road to NH was pretty easy, but after working all week the drive was taking it’s toll. Quick shot of Red Bull and I was back in action. When we got of the interstate 91 and got on the state highway 302 the signs were a little confusing. At one point, while going through a small town just after midnight we were stopped by a police officer .He thought I was going a little too fast through the town where the speed limit was 30mph. I got a little nervous. I explained where I’m heading and that the signs were a little confusing and it made me disoriented. The officer offered his help. He showed me which way to go and let me of with a warning (Thank You). We finally arrived at about 1 am on September 3 at the Edmond path parking area. The night was short and a little uncomfortable for us. After all we just drove nearly 400 miles and slept on the back of a Jeep. We woke up at 7 am, but did not start the hike till 8am.Even thou we didn’t backpack since last year, we felt pretty confident. Edmond’s path is a moderate hike even without heavy packs. It is mostly below tree line, but once we got to about 4300 feet, we realized it was nothing compared to Catskills. We did not know Saturdays forecast, but we were about to find out. Just before the tree line ended, we were gritted with a warning sign. It recommended turning back if the weather was bad. We pushed on only to experience very strong wind (70-77mph) and cold temperature (48F). This meant we had to stop and add some layers of clothing. We could only see 30-50 feet in front of us so we didn’t even imagine how far we’ve climbed. Once on the ridge, we passed through Mt. Franklin, Mt. Monroe. The wind was playing with my wife by pushing her left and right. At last we descended down to the Lakes of the Clouds Hut. There we had some vegetable soup for 2$ a plate and we ate our sandwiches. While we ate we enjoyed brief views of the Ammonoosuc Ravine. There were many poorly dressed hikers arriving at the hut. It only shows why so many people died on this mountain.
After leaving the AMC Hut we started our hike to the summit of Mt. Washington. We passed two small lakes that looked like small teardrops compared to the vast mountain ranges around us. As we got higher the wind got stronger and the temperature got lower. We finally conquered the summit at 12pm.We could barely see the antennas and couple of buildings through the clouds. I stopped to pose for a picture at the summit’s top.
On the way down through lion head trail, we had a couple of breaks in clouds. The views ware spectacular. All those clouds were running through the ridges, mountaintops and down the ravines. Once we’ve got to the hermit lake shelters (reservations recommended 6034662727), we learned that we would share our shelter with some other hikers. Two families occupied shelter #1 –a woman with her daughter and a man with his young son. They greeted us very warmly and asked where we came from. After we told them where we started that morning, they were amazed. Slowly we started unpacking and preparing for the night.
(Day 2)
Next morning we had a small breakfast and we left at around 7:30 am. We decided to go up the Tuckerman Ravine trail to the Lakes of the Clouds Hut. We felt pretty good, even thou our bodies ached. Tuckerman Ravine is one of most popular trails to the summit of Mt. Washington. Therefore it was very crowded, but amazingly there were many kids with parents climbing it. Weather was much better than the day before, which made this a great hike. When we got to the Hut, it was full of hikers. This time I made our own soup. After consuming it and resting for a while we headed out to the Dry River Trail. It started with a nice walk next to one of the lakes. Unlike the name the trail was pretty wet, narrow, muddy and slippery. Not many people decided to hike it that day. The trail was poorly marked up on top, but down on bottom it got wider and easier. Once we got to the Dry River we picked up speed and got to the Dry River shelter #3 in no time. I would like to point out that there are 3 designated tent sites on the Dry River Trail that are not marked on any of the maps. All tent sites are in close proximity to the river, which makes them a perfect resting place. This time we didn’t have to pay and we were all alone. Jola started preparing our sleeping mats and bags and I went to filter some water from the river. We ate sapper and went to sleep. My wife fell asleep soon, but I couldn’t sleep. I gathered some wood and made a fire. The night came quickly and without moon it was very dark. When I looked up, I saw beautiful night sky lit up by millions of stars. That’s when I got one of those feelings that we are a tiny little dot compared to the universe. With that felling I went to sleep.
(Day 3)
It was Monday, our last day in the White Mountains. We woke up with a sound of cascading water, much better than noise of a big city. The sky was clear and we were ready to go. This time we’ve got through our morning routine quickly. After packing our backpacks we started our last hike of this journey. This time we had no trouble going back on trail. It was following the river, which we had to cross it twice. One of the attributes of this trail was a beautiful Dry River Waterfall. Unfortunately it wasn’t marked on the trail and we passed it. At first my wife objected, but after a little reasoning she agreed to go back. Well to her surprise the sight was astonishing, but she was still reluctant to agree with me. She doesn’t like to show when she is wrong. Anyway if you pass it by accident, it is worth to go back and shoot few photos.
Once we crossed the river for second time, we were at 2600 feet. At that time our climb begun. We ascended Mt. Eisenhower Trail. It connected with Crawford Path at about 4500 feet. From there we could see mountains almost one hundred miles away. It was perfect day for pictures. There was only one problem- we finished our last roll of film. I wasn’t angry, because it gave me one more reason to come back to White Mountains. It was 10am, when we started descent Edmands Path back to the parking. We passed many hikers on their way up. Jola thought it was pretty late to start the hike considering the road ahead. They had one advantage- no heavy packs on their backs.
At 12pm we were at the bottom. The parking lot was full. We were in joy that our shoulders were free of weight. At the same time it was hard to say goodbye to this beautiful place. Soon we were back on the road heading back home. It took us almost eight hours to go back. As soon as we unpacked, I started thinking about our next trip-and this time I hope to plan it in advance.
(The End)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
welcome to the forums! i looked at the trails you hiked before the date and i was thinking "is this guy crazy?!?!"

:beer:

then i noticed the TR was for september :lol:

i actually bailed on a shot to get a few turns in today. a number of factors just didn't line up. the rock pile is a fascinate place to hike for sure!

zelmergobi

Website
www.foottrailmarker.com
Am I crazy?

Thanks for the comment....I think I was crazy that day....but considering that I usually do 30-40 miles across Catskills in three days ,I was very disappointed..on the other hand this was more challenging hike especially on my knees .This was my fist trip to White Mountains, next time I'll come more prepared