• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 10/25 - 10/26 Storm Discussion Thread

Joshua

Vermont NWS is saying it too...

.LONG TERM (TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY)...
COULD SEE A SIGNIFICANT PRECIP EVENT LATE TUES INTO
WEDS...WITH A PROLONGED UPSLOPE SCENARIO TO FOLLOW ON THURS THRU SAT. ATTM WL CONT TO MENTION CHC POPS WEDS INTO THURS AND KEEP
FRIDAY AND SATURDAY DRY AS SFC HIGH PRES BUILDS INTO FA. ALSO...THERMAL PROFILES AND FCST SOUNDINGS SHOWS ENOUGH COLD AIR TO SUPPORT SNOW...ESPECIALLY ACRS THE HIGHER TRRN.

John84

They're calling this chart a "Worst Case Scenario". I don't know about everyone else, but it looks like a best case scenario to me

Treeliner

LOL, I'm all for being optimistic, but this is pushing it. :lol: We can only hope I guess...

I wouldn't exact call it a Worst Case Scenario either, if you know what I mean.

Edit- John beat me to the worst case thing :roll:
Edit2- accuweather must have changed their link to the weather map...

Zand

Looking at that accuweather map, it looks like the rain/snow line would be right over my area. However, my town is always one of the coldest in the state. For example, my town's station currently has the coldest reading and the only one in the 30s. Looks good for me and for the ski areas.

Joshua

Accuweather loves to hype, but this thing has real potential

plus....IT has happened before where tropical systems turn into huge non-tropical lows and bring snow storms to NE

Joshua

ETA model at 84 hours...thats a big snow storm

eta84hr_sfc_prcp.gif

eta84hr_sfc_ptyp.gif

Zand

It's a small Day After Tomorrow (that storm was the size of the country, don't see that happening too soon).

I'll be back later. I'm headed to Six Flags. Nothing better than riding coasters in this glorious weather.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Powderhound21 said:
Joshua said:
ITS ON, SEE YOU ALL AT KILLINGTON ON THURSDAY WHEN THEY OPEN

:beer:

7 days and counting...

:blink: Didn't realize that today was November 4th. Despite all of the snow, K-Mart has made it abundantly clear of its intention to open on November 11th. Okemo, however has said November 4th.

Here is K-mart's report filed as of today saying that the opening is coming soon, but not within seven days as cited above:

Killington Snow Report said:
Report Date: 10/23/2005

We are less than four weeks away from the 2005-06 ski and snowboard season! Opening day is scheduled for Nov. 11.

Snow is falling right now. All we need is some sustained colder temps and we'll throw the switch on the world's largest snowmaking system!
New Snow: 2-4 Inches
Base Depth: 0
Weather: Snowing! Temps in the low 30s.
Rates: -
Open Trails: 0
Open Lifts: 0
Miles of Skiing: 0
Surface Conditions: -
Grooming: -
Terrain Parks/Halfpipe: -
Weekend Projection: -
Upcoming Events: Opening day for the 2005-06 Ski and Snowboard Season scheduled for November 11th.

And here is their press release from this morning which can be found on our site here which confirms what I have said:

Killington Marketing said:
KILLINGTON, Vermont — The earliest winter storm in more than 20 years dumped more than a foot of new snow at Killington Resort overnight and the forecast is calling for more.

"Winter has arrived and this is only a taste of what we'll see when we open for the season with top to bottom skiing and snowboarding on Nov. 11th," said Nick Polumbus, brand manager for Killington Resort.

More than 300 snow guns are ready to fire on Rime, Reason and Great Northern trails as temperatures and more snow are expected to drop this week when another low pressure system combines with moisture from the remnants of Hurricane Wilma.

"This was a bit of a shock to a lot of folks to see a winter storm this early in the season, especially considering the warm weather we have had this fall," said Eye on the Sky meteorologist Steve Maleski with the Fairbanks Museum in St. Johnsbury, Vt., "… and there is also another chance for more snow Tuesday night into Wednesday."

According to Maleski, Sunday's snowstorm was the largest since October of 1982 when up to 18 inches of snow fell throughout Vermont.

Killington Resort averages 250 inches of snow each season, complemented by the world's largest snowmaking system covering 750 acres of the resort's 1,209 acres of total skiable terrain.

1.jpg

Early winter snow on Superstar
(Photo: Killington Resort)

So what I have cited are the current facts that we have from K-mart.

Powderhound21

Covington,VA (70 miles SE of Snowshoe,WV)
Website
winter.6.forumer.com
Ok. Good to see trailboss.

Most natives here say that they try to have the best opening day coditions as possible. That must be why they wait- so they can get a good base and T2B. But with that, at the cost of a little hikink, you will most likely be able to get some pre-opening turns in.

But good to see someone embracing the window of opportunity in opening ASAP.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Powderhound21 said:
Ok. Good to see trailboss.

No problem and no offense intended. Just bringing to light the facts of the situation. :wink:

Most natives here say that they try to have the best opening day coditions as possible. That must be why they wait- so they can get a good base and T2B.

Yes this is the relatively new attitude of the industry--having top to bottom open as opposed to a strip of snow to ski on. If this was taking place ten years ago, we would not be running our mouths in here but would be skiing instead. :roll: Times change.

But with that, at the cost of a little hikink, you will most likely be able to get some pre-opening turns in.

Absolutely. :beer: Many are doing that now...I would be but law school gets in the way :roll:

But good to see someone embracing the window of opportunity in opening ASAP.

Okemo had that date marked ahead of time I believe...things can and still may change though...we're in New England. Best of luck on your trek up here...just wished it was later so that you'd have definite snow.

Greg

Staff member
Joshua said:
ITS ON, SEE YOU ALL AT KILLINGTON ON THURSDAY WHEN THEY OPEN
Riiiiiiight.... just like they were supposed to start making snow on 9/29 and again on 10/20, right? :roll: No offense, but your credibility on these matters is pretty weak and it doesn't benefit anybody to start such rumors without any facts at all. Your "predictions" to date have been simply speculation, at best. Trust me, if Killington plans to open ahead of the November 11 date (anything is possible), they are not going to be keeping it a secret. I will be among the first to know and you all will get early word right here.