Mountain Lions - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mountain Lions

Before everyone rights off big cats in the area.... just remember, Steve-O spotted several cougars in the Nass area.

'04-'05 - 2 days
    '05-'06 - 11 days
    '06-'07 - 20 days
    '07-'08 - 19 days
    '08 - '09 - 23 days
    '09 - '10 - 16 days
    '10 - '11 - 12 days
    '11 - '12 - 6 days
    Lifetime Total - 109

Namaste you guys!

The Lamson Corner cemetery is haunted too...

Seriously, totally possible, I guess. If I see one in there while mountain biking, I'm going to crap myself.
    I ski double black diamonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Grassi21 View Post
    Before everyone rights off big cats in the area.... just remember, Steve-O spotted several cougars in the Nass area.
    I thought of that when I posted earlier.

Totally plausible. People didn't believe it when moose were first seen here.
    "Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own." ~ Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

I have to admit that there are some nitwitted people out there that see a golden retriever and think it's a mountain lion, but the difference between a bobcat and a mountain lion is the same as the difference between getting a chill and having the crap scared out of you. There is no comparison. A mountain lion is ... well, a lion. Even though it is considered a member of the small cat family, it weighs between 100-200 pounds. A bocat is still scarey, especially if cornered, but you don't have to worry about it tearing your head off.

There have been lots of reports and I'm just curious if anyone on the forum has actually seen one.

Haven't seen any mountain lions or bobcats, but four fox kits are living under my porch! They were out playing in my yard today:

I believe that there is a lot of wildlife in our surroundings that was unimaginable a few years ago. Why not Mountain Lions?

When Black Bear was sighted in a womans back yard 10 years ago, just a few miles from me, many thought she was nuts, or that it was some kind of large dog. Nope, it was a bear.
    We see them frequently when we ride mt bikes and have had them on our front porch more than once. Its a fascinating thing.
    Building a quiver is just foreplay for snowgasms

Southern New England could use a few apex predators like mountain lions and wolves to thin out the deer herds. To have a breeding population of mountain lions locally would make trail running and mountain biking a little more thrilling with occiasonal attacks on humans like in California. The coyotes and bobcats I've seen in the woods usually can't get away fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    To have a breeding population of mountain lions locally would make trail running and mountain biking a little more thrilling with occiasonal attacks on humans like in California.
    I respectfully disagree. I had lived in the Black Hills of South Dakota which is said to have the highest density of mountain lions in any area in the United States (estimated at 120) and there has never been an attack even with trail runners and mountain bikers. The biggest difference is that the mountain lions' food source was plentiful in the Black Hills and scarce in California. I think the food source is plentiful enough here to avoid attacks. Even so, I was always a bit weirded out when mountain biking through the Black Hills and I will now be more often glancing over my shoulders.

An article about mountain lions in the northeast can be found here: http://ctxguide.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=887

I have not seen any bobcats or mtn lions in the CT area but I did see a full grown black bear crossing 185 simsbury road last summer on the simsbury side of the ridge heading south. she didnt even blink at us, just keep on going. we decided to hike north that day...

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    I've seen a few coyote's here in Westchester county. I'm sure they munch on small varmets and the occasional deer. We have seen some deer quarters and leg remains in various states of decomposition in our local woods. Our buddy, who's house abuts the woods, said that they see multiple coyotes in their yard often. No bobcats or mountain lions down here. (at least not that I know of).

oh, and skidiva...awesome looking fox pup!

Thread Information