• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mountain Lions

Connecticut

Website
www.ctxguide.com
I'm just curious about mountain lion sightings in New England. I have never seen one myself, but I just recently heard rumors about one that may have been traveling through eastern Connecticut and western Rhode Island.

Within the last 10-12 years, Connecticut has gained a stable black bear and coyote population and are just now accumulating some breading pairs of moose. It seems as though the wild animals have become adapted to areas of higher population. It would be unusual to think that mountain lions are migrating south as well.

At the same time, there was a rogue eastern grey wolf shot and killed in Mass, I think last year.

wa-loaf

People are still debating whether they are in Northern New England. I'd say possible, but unlikely. I think we had a thread about this before.

bigbog

Suburban Sprawl becomes Rural Sprawl...

Suburbs, with large acreage yards...expanded, becomes rural sprawl.... The more woodlands cleared, the more animals have to move. What are now yards...used to be meadows/stashes for denning and/or food for the wild animals. I think most all the animals mentioned don't migrate to any great degree...just to different terrain.
The NE mountain lion is pretty solitary...ie high and secluded terrain...(EDIT: ..just info that's evident in Maine)
$.01

Last edited:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
There have been sightings in the Nassahegan area of CT (Burlington/Bristol line). My former boss also has seen one in the Salisbury/North Canaan region.

Greg

Staff member
Bobcats in Southbury CT as well. There was also a supposed sighting of a MTN lion in the area as well.

Bocats are fairly common. We have one in our neighborhood too. My guess is any mountain lion "sightings" are bobcats mistaken for a mountain lion. Bobcat - 25 lbs. Mountain lion - 150 lbs. BIG difference. :-o

Grassi21

Bocats are fairly common. We have one in our neighborhood too. My guess is any mountain lion "sightings" are bobcats mistaken for a mountain lion. Bobcat - 25 lbs. Mountain lion - 150 lbs. BIG difference. :-o

I agree with you and know the difference. But the account I read from S'Bury said that the cat in question was quite large and had a long tail. Bobcats have those short stubby tails.

Beetlenut

There have been reports in South West RI about mountain lion sightings, and several horses have been killed by "something big". Vets in the area think it was done by a large cat, but the DEM does not want to acknowledge that because they would have to spend money on it!

Grassi21

Before everyone rights off big cats in the area.... just remember, Steve-O spotted several cougars in the Nass area.

Greg

Staff member

The Lamson Corner cemetery is haunted too... :lol:

Seriously, totally possible, I guess. If I see one in there while mountain biking, I'm going to crap myself.

Connecticut

Website
www.ctxguide.com
I have to admit that there are some nitwitted people out there that see a golden retriever and think it's a mountain lion, but the difference between a bobcat and a mountain lion is the same as the difference between getting a chill and having the crap scared out of you. There is no comparison. A mountain lion is ... well, a lion. Even though it is considered a member of the small cat family, it weighs between 100-200 pounds. A bocat is still scarey, especially if cornered, but you don't have to worry about it tearing your head off.

There have been lots of reports and I'm just curious if anyone on the forum has actually seen one.

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
Haven't seen any mountain lions or bobcats, but four fox kits are living under my porch! They were out playing in my yard today:

Fox.jpg

Trekchick

I believe that there is a lot of wildlife in our surroundings that was unimaginable a few years ago. Why not Mountain Lions?

When Black Bear was sighted in a womans back yard 10 years ago, just a few miles from me, many thought she was nuts, or that it was some kind of large dog. Nope, it was a bear.
We see them frequently when we ride mt bikes and have had them on our front porch more than once. Its a fascinating thing.

Talisman

Southern New England could use a few apex predators like mountain lions and wolves to thin out the deer herds. To have a breeding population of mountain lions locally would make trail running and mountain biking a little more thrilling with occiasonal attacks on humans like in California. The coyotes and bobcats I've seen in the woods usually can't get away fast enough.

Connecticut

Website
www.ctxguide.com
To have a breeding population of mountain lions locally would make trail running and mountain biking a little more thrilling with occiasonal attacks on humans like in California.

I respectfully disagree. I had lived in the Black Hills of South Dakota which is said to have the highest density of mountain lions in any area in the United States (estimated at 120) and there has never been an attack even with trail runners and mountain bikers. The biggest difference is that the mountain lions' food source was plentiful in the Black Hills and scarce in California. I think the food source is plentiful enough here to avoid attacks. Even so, I was always a bit weirded out when mountain biking through the Black Hills and I will now be more often glancing over my shoulders.

An article about mountain lions in the northeast can be found here: http://ctxguide.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=887

sLoPeS

I have not seen any bobcats or mtn lions in the CT area but I did see a full grown black bear crossing 185 simsbury road last summer on the simsbury side of the ridge heading south. she didnt even blink at us, just keep on going. we decided to hike north that day...

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I've seen a few coyote's here in Westchester county. I'm sure they munch on small varmets and the occasional deer. We have seen some deer quarters and leg remains in various states of decomposition in our local woods. Our buddy, who's house abuts the woods, said that they see multiple coyotes in their yard often. No bobcats or mountain lions down here. :) (at least not that I know of).

oh, and skidiva...awesome looking fox pup!