• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mountain Lions

Talisman

I respectfully disagree. I had lived in the Black Hills of South Dakota which is said to have the highest density of mountain lions in any area in the United States (estimated at 120) and there has never been an attack even with trail runners and mountain bikers. The biggest difference is that the mountain lions' food source was plentiful in the Black Hills and scarce in California. I think the food source is plentiful enough here to avoid attacks. Even so, I was always a bit weirded out when mountain biking through the Black Hills and I will now be more often glancing over my shoulders.
[/url]

Like California, Southern New England has a much higher human population density than South Dakota if a an apex predator was to get a little hungry.

bigbog

friggin coyotes....

I've seen a few coyote's here in Westchester county. I'm sure they munch on small varmets and the occasional deer. We have seen some deer quarters and leg remains in various states of decomposition in our local woods. Our buddy, who's house abuts the woods, said that they see multiple coyotes in their yard often. No bobcats or mountain lions down here. :) (at least not that I know of).

oh, and skidiva...awesome looking fox pup!
Coyotes eat anything..without much fear of anything = bad news for the rest of the local inhabitants. Should be bounty on em' = $$$ in every state...imho.

catskills

I definitely had a mountain liion sighting. The mountain lion crossed the road 20 feet in front of my car as I was making a left turn off Route 30 enroute to Plattekill ski area to teach an NSP OEC class on a Sunday morning. I had a student/friend in the passenger seat. He saw him too. There is no mistaking those big claws, long body, extremely long tail, and cat like running gate. My buddy's first response was that was definitely a very large cat. After the class we came back looking for some fur he may have left but we could not find any. It was a once in a life time privilege to see the big cat. It was also very convenient that we were in the well protected security of my car at the time.

Connecticut

Website
www.ctxguide.com
I definitely had a mountain liion sighting. The mountain lion crossed the road 20 feet in front of my car as I was making a left turn off Route 30 enroute to Plattekill ski area to teach an NSP OEC class on a Sunday morning. I had a student/friend in the passenger seat. He saw him too. There is no mistaking those big claws, long body, extremely long tail, and cat like running gate. My buddy's first response was that was definitely a very large cat. After the class we came back looking for some fur he may have left but we could not find any. It was a once in a life time privilege to see the big cat. It was also very convenient that we were in the well protected security of my car at the time.

- Good story.

You demonstrated the problem of scientifically proving the range of the eastern mountain lion. They have a way of disappearing without a trace (no prints or hair).

MR. evil

I've seen a few coyote's here in Westchester county. I'm sure they munch on small varmets and the occasional deer. We have seen some deer quarters and leg remains in various states of decomposition in our local woods. Our buddy, who's house abuts the woods, said that they see multiple coyotes in their yard often. No bobcats or mountain lions down here. :) (at least not that I know of).

oh, and skidiva...awesome looking fox pup!

How big do coyote's get?

A couple of months ago I was driving thru Suffield CT on my way to work. I was in pretty woodsy near the Metacomet trail, and area where my wife and I always see deer and wild Turkeys frequently. Almost every morning. I was at an intersection and what appeared to be a very large dog crossed to road very slowly. It was about the size of a large german sheapard and had a redish color furr. I would estimate it was about 100lbs to 120 lbs. The way it looked, its size and the way it moved had me thinking it was a wolf for bit. I assumed it was a coyote. But I didn't think they got that big. I can say with certainty that it was not a domestic dog.

Connecticut

Website
www.ctxguide.com
How big do coyote's get?...
It was about the size of a large german sheapard and had a redish color furr. I would estimate it was about 100lbs to 120 lbs. The way it looked, its size and the way it moved had me thinking it was a wolf for bit. I assumed it was a coyote. But I didn't think they got that big.

It's funny that you say that. I saw an ENORMOUS coyote near Messerschmidt Pond a few months ago. It was definitely a coyote, but it was very large. If I were to guess, it appeared to be 60 pounds, but very tall and well above the norm.

It got me thinking about how the coyote is the apex predator here in CT and perhaps the coyotes are growing larger because of the abundant food source. The coyotes in the Black Hills were never that big.

Connecticut

Website
www.ctxguide.com
There have been reports in South West RI about mountain lion sightings, and several horses have been killed by "something big". Vets in the area think it was done by a large cat, but the DEM does not want to acknowledge that because they would have to spend money on it!

A mountain lion is the only animal capable of bringing down a horse. Coyotes may nip at their legs, but this usually is due to a bleeding injury the horse already had.

Are there any news articles or public meeting memos about this?

skizilla

Coyotes

I too live neard suffield and at the bottom of the montain at 168 saw a run over coyote that was like the size of a small geman shepard. They are fluffier though depending on the time of year so i can totaly see the upper weight limit but according to a book I have read the upward range of weight is 60 pounds or so. Mountain lions i will believe when people start running them over. I commute through the barkahamsted resevoir area about as wild an area as you will find in lower new engl;and and have seen everything alive on that road and in most cases flat and have yet to see anything resembling a big cat.

Connecticut

Website
www.ctxguide.com
I commute through the barkahamsted resevoir area about as wild an area as you will find in lower new engl;and and have seen everything alive on that road and in most cases flat and have yet to see anything resembling a big cat.

That's what I said about the tooth fairy! :lol:

Any black bears as road kill along 168?

The weird thing is that many of the returning wild animals have become very adapted to the human population. For example, black bears will occasionally shack out under a backyard deck for hybernation and coyotes don't care where they end up. So just because an area is for wilderness-like doesn't mean that all of the animals are naturally attracted to that spot.

Check out this link: http://farshores.org/c_mlion2.htm

Last edited:

bigbog

....Food supply not used to coyote addition..

Yep,
The two coyotes I've seen in the last six years have been a bit bigger and fatter than any images of western coyotes. They'll also mate with dogs that are loose, roaming in woodlands. Coydogs are supposed to be the ultra-mean...
Hope coyote hunters have been having good luck. Hate the damn things....disruptive to natural NE food chain.

catskills

Oh man, I didn't know that. Hmmm, I wonder what a coyote would look like if it mated with a pitbull or a poodle - or a great dane! Better yet, a weiner dog!
Actually coydogs were thought to be the reason why the Coyote is now larger than it was last century. Through DNA analysis they found out that Coyotes have been bread with wolves. the 150 lb Wolves are just a tad too big to live in well populated areas. The new coyote with wolf blood line at 50 to 70 lbs is perfect for living in around people with the ability to kill deer, rabbits, house cats, domestic dogs, etc. I hear the coyotes up on the mountain in back of my house about once a month. I live in West Hurley near Woodstock, NY. The dear are now bedding down at night near the houses. Fortunately, the coyotes don't come down to hunt dear in between the houses.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
How big do coyote's get?

A couple of months ago I was driving thru Suffield CT on my way to work. I was in pretty woodsy near the Metacomet trail, and area where my wife and I always see deer and wild Turkeys frequently. Almost every morning. I was at an intersection and what appeared to be a very large dog crossed to road very slowly. It was about the size of a large german sheapard and had a redish color furr. I would estimate it was about 100lbs to 120 lbs. The way it looked, its size and the way it moved had me thinking it was a wolf for bit. I assumed it was a coyote. But I didn't think they got that big. I can say with certainty that it was not a domestic dog.

Sounds like it was a big coyote. They are hairy..and get stragly and I think appear bigger than they are. I saw one that, at first glance, looked just like a german shepard as well. I was driving in my car right around the corner from my house..when I saw it I stopped...and made eye contact with it and it stared me down for a while, before calmly turning and walking into the woods.