• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Washington info needed

catbird

Looking for average hike times/length - how many hours up and down...

if you have stayed in the huts, which is the best one?

Is the famously unpredictable weather stable by June?

Also, if nearby peaks are preferred to Mt Wash - which ones? Thanks!

dmc

it snows every month on Mount Washington...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Looking for average hike times/length - how many hours up and down...

Depends on which approach you take. Plan on at least a day hike...

if you have stayed in the huts, which is the best one?

I can only think of two that are considered "close," the obvious is Lake of the Clouds which is an experience. The other would be Pinkham Notch which is the main starting point for eastern approaches. Lakes of the Clouds is on the mountain while Pinkham is at the base. You could stay at the RMC huts on the Northern Presidentials or possibly Madison Springs or Mizpah.

Is the famously unpredictable weather stable by June?

The weather is unpredictable every month....be prepared.

Preferred in what way? The Northern Presidentials are not as crowded and offer some spectacular rugged terrain.

Talisman

I'm not a fan of the Mt Washington Summit because of the auto road, summit buildings, cog railway and large number of people. When on Mt Washington, I typically don't summit. I prefer Lafayatte, Clay, Jeffferson, Adams and Madison to Washington.

skibum9995

Good suggestion.

But any less crowded routes up Mt Wash recommended? Would like to try it since it's the highest.
For a less crowded route check out Nelson Crag Trail. I hiked it on a summer weekend a few years ago and didn't see anyone else until after the junction with the Alpine Garden Trail.

Mike P.

Weather in June may have T-storms & no place to hide if above trees & still a mile or 1,000 feet of vertical from summit.

least crowded routes are the hardest. Can you provide some background on what you've done? People do go there first because it's teh highest but some are miserable because they underestimated the elevation gain. A reasonably fit person can do the hike in 3/4 of a day, maybe less.

I prefer the Ammo, Crawford Path Jewell loop also hitting Mt. Monroe. Lakes is the hut closest & you pass it on my loop. It's teh most crowded & I won't stay there again because of the number of bunks. (90).

Strongest hikers could do Huntington or Great Gulf, longer, harder. using your hands required, a slip could kill you in spots.

catbird

Weather in June may have T-storms & no place to hide if above trees & still a mile or 1,000 feet of vertical from summit.

least crowded routes are the hardest. Can you provide some background on what you've done?

Mt Osceola in NH, et al - those types of one day hikes. Just hiked Equinox in VT this past wkend. I am pretty fit, though we found it strenuous, & obviously Equinox is much smaller than Mt Wash.

Given the advice here, the less crowded trails will be too hard for us, and we'll stick to easier ones recommended and probably later in summer to avoid worse weather.

I prefer the Ammo, Crawford Path Jewell loop also hitting Mt. Monroe. Lakes is the hut closest & you pass it on my loop. It's teh most crowded & I won't stay there again because of the number of bunks. (90). Strongest hikers could do Huntington or Great Gulf, longer, harder. using your hands required, a slip could kill you in spots.

holy %$#. That's not the kind of hike I want. I was looking for high peaks & long trails, not extremely hazardous trails. For some reason had thought Mt wash was just long, high, & only moderately strenuous/hazardous- mostly bc of weather.

Am taking notes of this, & was going to stay in Lake of clouds, but will be avoiding it for sure now!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
You can minimize (not eliminate crowds) by going midweek. I'm with Talisman. Better yet, go in September. I've never summited MW and probably never will specifically because of crowds. Nothing more disappointing than getting to the top and finding 100s of out of shape people, food concessions, electricity and parking lots full of cars. Go to Katahdin instead: a lifetime of memories without any of the above.

You can minimize (not eliminate crowds) by going midweek. I'm with Talisman. Better yet, go in September. I've never summited MW and probably never will specifically because of crowds. Nothing more disappointing than getting to the top and finding 100s of out of shape people, food concessions, electricity and parking lots full of cars. Go to Katahdin instead: a lifetime of memories without any of the above.

They sell food at the top of Mount Washington???

catbird

Nothing more disappointing than getting to the top and finding 100s of out of shape people, food concessions, electricity and parking lots full of cars. .

Concessions & a parking lot?! God! Awful! Thanks again, am convinced to try Katahdin or one of the other presidentials.

I checked out some other sites after reading the replies here and found one that said:
Do you really want to spend your time hiking the Microsoft of NH’s mountains?
>>

No!

But too bad what state of NH has turned Mt Washington into. Had thought it was NH's pristine, mini-Montana. Obviously not.

Mike P.

Washington is Washington, I found germany's highest point to be more built up & crowded on the top. Even Katahdin is a bit crowded as day traffice enters the same time, most trails to the top are about the same length, therefore even though people start at differnt points, you get to the common goal around the same time.

On weekends in good weather, most summits over 4,000 ft. in the Northeast have people on them. I've used AC groups hikes published ahead of time to find places they were not going.

Mid-week rules, within reason, bad weather can rule also, it keeps crowds down. I've been on Washington's summit twice with almost no people. One October with freezing rain & fog which closed the road & made paying for a train ride silly. It was just me & the guy I was hiking with & Mike Pelchat who works at the park.

The Hut is a convenient place to use the John, get water & socialize. if i wanted a hut & more solitude, I'd pick Madison Hut on a weekday & do both Madison & Adams.

BTW, most trails up don't require hands, just those with headwalls. Presidentials are all covered with rock fragments up high. Rocky part of Osceola has different footing then Equinox. from the Seminary, the logging road is pretty steep for a road.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"A modern summit building houses a cafeteria, restrooms, gift shops, the Mt. Washington Observatory and its museum."

source: http://www.nhstateparks.com/washington.html
[/FONT]

So you can have an iced cold gatorade and a hot dog..good stuff..on the appalachian trail near me..you have to bring your own food and hike to the top..no ATVs allowed..

SIKSKIER

Concessions & a parking lot?! God! Awful! Thanks again, am convinced to try Katahdin or one of the other presidentials.

But too bad what state of NH has turned Mt Washington into. Had thought it was NH's pristine, mini-Montana. Obviously not.

It's been that way since the the first horse path was built in mid 1800's and the cog railroad shortly after.

Talisman

It's been that way since the the first horse path was built in mid 1800's and the cog railroad shortly after.

Another way to look at it is if the masses had no access to Mt Washington, there would be fewer people to apprecaite the view and support preserving mountains with parks like WMNF, GNF and Adk Park. I don't like the development at the summit of Mt Washington and just go to scores of other peaks instead, happy they don't all have communication towers, auto roads and restaurants.

Jonni

The other time to hit Washington would be early in the morning. Start hiking before sunrise and summit it just as the auto road and cog railway are opening. Just make sure you don't go on one of the days that the road is open for sunrises, though that only happens about twice a year.

For any that aren't all that familiar with the mountain (I know most of you are, but still) here's the Wikipedia entry for it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Washington_(New_Hampshire)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
don't go on one of the days that the road is open for sunrises, though that only happens about twice a year.

Don't go during motorcycle weeks either. Over 2000 summit Washington. And one or two occasionally wipe out :-o

"The Mt. Washington Auto Road welcomes motorcyclists throughout Laconia Motorcycle Week to “Ride to the Sky” and offers two motorcycle-only days on Monday, June 11 and Thursday, June 14, the latter sponsored by Meredith Harley-Davidson/Buell. Thursday also features a fundraising barbecue by the local Harley Owners Group with vendors and a band, the White Mountain Boys."

We were up there in June 3 years ago during that week. The peace and traquility of the mountains was shattered throughout the region for hundreds of miles. Glad to see they picked black fly season, since it's unusual to find me up there then. You could hear them from the other mountain summits and backcountry :(

While the majority of bikers are nice folks, there are always a few testosterone-laden youth who decide to see how fast they can go on narrow mountain roads. We were passed on a few occasions on road switchbacks and turns with oncoming traffic. Very scary. I'll just avoid the whole week.
http://www.biker-events.com/2008/04...enture-in-mt-washington-valley-nh-june-14-22/

Last edited: