• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

improvements 2009-2010

tipsdown

Saddleback
*Adding additional snowmaking capacity to the upper mountain. I believe Governor, Tightline, Warden's Worry, and possibly Frost Bite will get snowmaking (or upgraded snowmaking if it currently exists). Those that are natural will remain that way and snowmaking will be only to add base cover.
*Finish cutting the tops of Frost Bite and Black Beauty
*Cutting a blue cruiser off America which will likely be the most scenic run (over an old T-Bar line that hasn't been used)
*Cutting 1 or 2 trails on the OTHER side of Muleskinner (NICE).
* AND supposedly cutting a 55 ACRE Gladefield off the summit between Black Beauty and Muleskinner. I don't know if this is a go for sure or if it will be ready for next season but that was the rumor as of the last ski weekend of the season. If this is a go- Saddleback is going to give Jay a run for it's money for best trees in the East…
-Lots of other mountain improvements in the works as well, inlcuding a 1,000 seat exansion of the base lodge and a hotel adjecent to it, more real estate, huts on the mountain etc…Next summer will be a HUGE summer if things stay on track.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Saddleback
*Adding additional snowmaking capacity to the upper mountain. I believe Governor, Tightline, Warden's Worry, and possibly Frost Bite will get snowmaking (or upgraded snowmaking if it currently exists). Those that are natural will remain that way and snowmaking will be only to add base cover.
*Finish cutting the tops of Frost Bite and Black Beauty
*Cutting a blue cruiser off America which will likely be the most scenic run (over an old T-Bar line that hasn't been used)
*Cutting 1 or 2 trails on the OTHER side of Muleskinner (NICE).
* AND supposedly cutting a 55 ACRE Gladefield off the summit between Black Beauty and Muleskinner. I don't know if this is a go for sure or if it will be ready for next season but that was the rumor as of the last ski weekend of the season. If this is a go- Saddleback is going to give Jay a run for it's money for best trees in the East…
-Lots of other mountain improvements in the works as well, inlcuding a 1,000 seat exansion of the base lodge and a hotel adjecent to it, more real estate, huts on the mountain etc…Next summer will be a HUGE summer if things stay on track.
And even compete with Sugarloaf for "King of Spring" crown.
I thought the lodge at Saddleback was already to-die-for gorgeous.

tylerjames

First Post.. sweet

i'll share the little bit that i know, Mount Snow is planning on mainly improving there water lines, still trying to get the clearance for getting access to the lake but it's not looking it will be ready for 09-10. they are going to put in a few more guns where needed and clear out some trees next to beartrap.

nothing huge. at least not from the info ive been told

jerryg

The lodge really is sweet and while Saddleback has never been into the late season deal, they're already taking skier visits from Sugarloaf... Along with employees!

SIKSKIER

Is there an article or pictures for the Cannon expansion because I am getting a headache trying to make sense of what they are doing....

:blink:

Have not seen any.Basically they are supposed to blow the front of the building out towards the mountain and add on towards the Old Peabody lodge.The bar is supposed to be in it's own area instead of in the middle like it's been for the last 8 years or so.

drjeff

First Post.. sweet

i'll share the little bit that i know, Mount Snow is planning on mainly improving there water lines, still trying to get the clearance for getting access to the lake but it's not looking it will be ready for 09-10. they are going to put in a few more guns where needed and clear out some trees next to beartrap.

nothing huge. at least not from the info ive been told

Also looking to make Deer Run/Long John more beginner friendly by getting permits to widen from the summit down to Carinthia (hopefully will happen before this season) and blasting away and leveling out the ridge/kicker/jump on skiers/riders left on Deer Run a few hundred yards down from the top of Carinthia (almost certainly will happen). Lastly they're looking to install light on the beginner Grommet Terrain park and have some evening park sessions their next season (almost certainly will happen as the poles went in last season - just not enough time to install the lights).

Smallish, economically sensible things for this coming season.

tipsdown

This could put Saddleback at the top of "King of Expert Terrain" category too...Looking forward to checking it out next season...

deadheadskier

Staff member
This could put Saddleback at the top of "King of Expert Terrain" category too...Looking forward to checking it out next season...

I applaud what Saddleback is doing with their advanced terrain commitment, but they have a LONG, LONG way to go to take that crown from MRG.

Newpylong

Eh, I don't think so - besides having snowmaking (which inherently makes it much different than MRG), there is nothing at Saddleback anywhere near as tough as MRG.

tylerjames

Also looking to make Deer Run/Long John more beginner friendly by getting permits to widen from the summit down to Carinthia (hopefully will happen before this season) and blasting away and leveling out the ridge/kicker/jump on skiers/riders left on Deer Run a few hundred yards down from the top of Carinthia (almost certainly will happen). Lastly they're looking to install light on the beginner Grommet Terrain park and have some evening park sessions their next season (almost certainly will happen as the poles went in last season - just not enough time to install the lights).

Smallish, economically sensible things for this coming season.

no can do with the lights unfortunately, vermont has light pollution laws...

drjeff

no can do with the lights unfortunately, vermont has light pollution laws...

When did that come up? Since at the pass holders meeting it was said that a lit Grommet was a 99% done deal. The telephone poles for the lights were installed last fall also, and it was said that all that kept them from installing the lights last fall there was it became a time issue and getting Grommet wired for MORE ground based fan guns was a higher priority last fall than lights on the poles.

Plus, on a similiar note, they do from time to time turn the lights on the tubing hill for some evening sessions, and the Grand Summit and some of the condos in Snowtree aren't much further than the condos(whatever that complex next to Grommet is called) are.