• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Star Trek (2009)

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Who saw it, and what did you think? I'm particularly curious to hear from those who would not consider themselves lifelong Star Trek fans. Likewise, those who are Trekkies/Trekkers, what did you think about JJ's approach?

bvibert

Staff member
I thought it was pretty good. I was a bit disappointed by the story line though. I don't consider myself a Trekkie, but I have enjoyed watching all the different series (including Enterprise, which I was sad to see end so soon) and movies.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I am not a Trekkie. I liked it. It's been a long time since I found a movie that interesting. The special effects were pretty good (I'm always looking for the seams in the scenery and they were not really obvious). I did find myself wondering what would happen next a few times, which is a bonus for me. Brian knew enough to see flaws in the story line (even though he says he's not a Trekkie ;) ); I do not. I did watch Next Generation in the late 80s/early 90s and Enterprise when it was on, but I was not an avid viewer of either program. I do like this one more than the other more recent Trek movies that have come out.

bvibert

Staff member
I am not a Trekkie. I liked it. It's been a long time since I found a movie that interesting. The special effects were pretty good (I'm always looking for the seams in the scenery and they were not really obvious). I did find myself wondering what would happen next a few times, which is a bonus for me. Brian knew enough to see flaws in the story line (even though he says he's not a Trekkie ;) ); I do not. I did watch Next Generation in the late 80s/early 90s and Enterprise when it was on, but I was not an avid viewer of either program. I do like this one more than the other more recent Trek movies that have come out.

I didn't say I saw flaws, I was just disappointed by some things.

thorski

In the flatlands of Ct. for a little bit longer.
Well made movie, diora baird was great.
Should have had more action with the spaceships. Enterprize should have had a bigger role with phazers, photon torpedos and the BAM of space battle. The badguys ship was not good at all.Not having the old romulan bird of prey was like a ski mountain without a small to medium sized halfpipe=LAME
Time travel ruined this movie. Should have let the new versions of the original cast stand on their own. They did not need to bring in nimoy to legitimize this movie.
Grade = B-

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
The secret romance between Spock and Uhura didn't fit in well with the "bigger picture" story lines.

That one left me scratching my head...

My thoughts are as follows: well produced movie, by movie standards. Mediocre by Trek standards. I will proudly admit to my status in Trekdom: I am an avid Trekkie. And a picky one at that. But I was more than willing to watch JJ's film with an open mind. I think he succeeded in one big way... he reinvigorated to the franchise (>$100MM opening weekend!), to the extent that the future is wide open for tons more Trek. However, the movie certainly plenty of disappointments and headscratchers. I'll sum it up in a table below.

Pros:

>Solid Acting (especially Urban as Bones... absolutely phenomenal!)
>"Big" -- attracted a wide audience with its "bigness"
>Tastefully updated Enterprise, both inside and out (they had to do it, obviously)
>Vulcans remain logical as ever, perhaps even moreso than in TOS
>Regardless of the now alternate timeline, Kirk, Spock, Bones, & company are all stationed on the Enterprise. The crew we know and love lives on.
>Good visual effects
>Characters were probably closer to Roddenberry's original sketch than TOS
>Most importantly, people enjoyed it - it was fun, and exciting
>Some great humor
>Some other emotional moments... George Kirk's death was stirring, for example

Cons:

>Too much action/too fast paced - So much happened so quickly and so loudly, it was almost annoying at times
>Nimoy's part could have been written better. He was too soft.
>Kirk was too adventuresome and wild, to the point that it was no longer believable (a 60s Corvette into a quarry that looked like the Grand Canyon? Really? No.)
>Spock & Uhura? Not sure here...
>Almost a little too "Star Wars-ish" at times
>WTF was up with the engine room on the Enterprise? Doohan's Scotty would be pissed.
>I really hate the "Nemesis-esque" Romulans. Speaking of which, I'm just kinda sick of Romulan storylines. Let's get back to Klingons and such.

I could elaborate more, but that'll do for now.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Great assessment BMM. Good to see more Pro's then Con's. Hopefully all the lurkers in Hollywood will be reading this and take notes for the next movie ;)

Pros -
Operational details
Scotty's entrance

Cons -
Too much time traveling, At least they didn't fly around the sun backwards while hopping on one foot and singing "Camptown Races" to "correct the time line".

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Great assessment BMM. Good to see more Pro's then Con's. Hopefully all the lurkers in Hollywood will be reading this and take notes for the next movie ;)

You joke about it, but Bob Orci spent hours on the discussion posts at Trekmovie.com, and even took the time to respond to a lot of comments, questions, discussion, etc. They may not care what we think, but at least they're listening!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
You joke about it, but Bob Orci spent hours on the discussion posts at Trekmovie.com, and even took the time to respond to a lot of comments, questions, discussion, etc. They may not care what we think, but at least they're listening!
The door is VERY wide open at this point. Hopefully something good will happen.

I'd love another quality series, but I'll take a movie every couple of years.

Vortex

I really liked it. As soon as we got out my wife, son and I wanted to make plans to see it again. I enjoy all the Star Trek shows and Movies. Glad to see a bit of a tie to the past in the movie with Spock. Might not ever see that again. Originals cast are old or passed on. Fun to watch how the characters developed. I loved it.

Philpug

I understand that the main crew are signed on for 3 movies. It is great to see this series has been reinvented a la James Bond. I can't wait to see what the Klingons are like.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I understand that the main crew are signed on for 3 movies. It is great to see this series has been reinvented a la James Bond. I can't wait to see what the Klingons are like.
That's the key for bringing in a new generation of viewers. I found the original series to be incredibly boring. While I am not an action fan normally, I did enjoy this one. I would see it again.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
The original series boring????
Put your dunce cap on and go sit in the corner for the rest of the day, and do not speak. :dunce:
The acting was terrible, the fight scenes were woefully poorly performed, the scenery blah. I don't think I'm alone in this opinion.

dmc

All Star Trek rules.... All of it... :)

And in true DMC fashion... I love the series everyone hates... Deep Space 9... And Enterprise...
I own the DS9 DVD set... total geek... admit it...

Live long and prosper...

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
The acting was terrible, the fight scenes were woefully poorly performed, the scenery blah. I don't think I'm alone in this opinion.

Almost all of these problems were budgetary constraints. They couldn't afford the good effects or the good stunts actors.

And some of the acting was pretty good. Bill Shatner was always over the top, but that's part of what defined his character. Nimoy settled into the role by the second season, and was quite a dynamic actor. I thought DeForest Kelley and Jimmy Doohan always played their roles well (Bones and Scotty), and Nichelle Nichols was a great as Uhura.