• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Liberty University building 1st Snowflex ski/boarding slope in US

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think something like what Liberty is doing is great for the sport. Maybe some of the Nelsap areas near urban centers could look at this as an option for re-opening and to help grow the sport. I don't think it would make sense to offer this type of 'skiing' up in the mountains themselves as it's doubtful people would drive very far to experience it, but if you had this available a short ride outside of Boston, NYC etc it might be a great thing for the industry.

campgottagopee

Has anyone from AZ ever actually skied/boarded on this stuff?

I never have but a guy I taught wih was from England and he used to practice on the stuff all the time. He told me there's no such thing as catching an edge on it---you pancake and fast---needsless to say that due had mad skills as a skier.

I think something like what Liberty is doing is great for the sport. Maybe some of the Nelsap areas near urban centers could look at this as an option for re-opening and to help grow the sport. I don't think it would make sense to offer this type of 'skiing' up in the mountains themselves as it's doubtful people would drive very far to experience it, but if you had this available a short ride outside of Boston, NYC etc it might be a great thing for the industry.

yeah, think of all those landfills that we could reclaim in the name of recreation! There must be hundreds of old landfills around the metro areas...snowflex summer sliding parks!

pretty cool...I'd love to be able to go play in the pipe and park in the summer...maybe I'll try and talk watercountry into putting one in...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Did you ski on the snowflex stuff or the old stuff? It sounds to me like the technology has improved greatly. Well, that's according to the company's marketing video :lol:

Depends on if it was available in 2002. That's when I skied at Hillend in Scotland.

From another thread I started four years ago:

The most oddest that comes to mind is the Hillend Dry Ski Area just outside Edinburgh, Scotland. You could 'hire' skis and a lift ticket by the hour to ski the dry ski slopes via a chairlift and two T-bars 365 days a year. Just be careful if you fall--it really hurts on the mats, which are like giant toothbrushes :x

hammer

Why do they show pictures of people in ski clothing? If it's cold enough to have to wear winter clothing, I'd think that most people would much rather be sliding on real or frankensnow...

SkiDork

Why do they show pictures of people in ski clothing? If it's cold enough to have to wear winter clothing, I'd think that most people would much rather be sliding on real or frankensnow...

I'm thinking its to protect from carpet burns, and keep dry

Highway Star

Depends on if it was available in 2002. That's when I skied at Hillend in Scotland.

From another thread I started four years ago:

The most oddest that comes to mind is the Hillend Dry Ski Area just outside Edinburgh, Scotland. You could 'hire' skis and a lift ticket by the hour to ski the dry ski slopes via a chairlift and two T-bars 365 days a year. Just be careful if you fall--it really hurts on the mats, which are like giant toothbrushes :x

That looks like some of the old stuff. Not that much fun.

From what I read, snowflex was developed to address the shorcomings of the older dryslope tech. Key selling points are a smooth consistant surface and padding underneath. From those videos, it looked like people were taking pretty big falls off some of the jumps without a problem.

thetrailboss

Staff member
That looks like fun! And as to Hillend, they might have had some of this material at the small terrain park, learning area, and the base, but the upper slope was the older, honeycomb version of the brush material. It was interesting to ski on and there was grass growing up in some spots. There was not much traction and you could really get going fast.