• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How long do you think it could last?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I wonder how far north you have to go on the East Coast to find year round snow. Are their places in the Chic Chocs that hold snow year round?

Highway Star

I'm with you sikskier. Combine snowmaking from the fall, spring and winter and the snow magic ice technology in the summer..

Snowmagic is inefficient and doesn't produce a worthwhile amount of snow.

Take a look at the IDE snowmaking I have posted about in the past. Serious equipment with possibly enough capacity to mantain a trail or two.

Highway Star

It's just an incredibly rudimentary calculation. Anyone in a high school physics class could do it. h x g x m

What? I'm talking about the electricity required to pump that amount of water up onto superstar, spread it around, etc. What rate could you pump at vs. temp vs. area to allow it to freeze solid? Feel free to figure it out for us.

snoseek

I think if you took a high elevation mtn. like Wildcat, Cannon, Saddleback ect... and ran a specific lift just serving that one very north facing trail it could go at least well into summer. Can you imagine if they really blasted a trail like Upper Lynx all winter?

dmc

You could just build a covered a slope and use air conditioning to... umm...for the summer... ummm... nevermind...

skiadikt

bob luv the enthusiasm. i'd sign up for it. but even in a good year you'd need about 100' to get er done on a trail like upper downdraft that has better snow retention than supe ...

one thing to remember about k's record of june 22 in '97 was the weather was extremely cooperative. very cold spring with snow in the mtns. i think mt. washington received a record 95" that may. if you haven't seen it, here's my vid comparing that season with '07. on memorial weekend supe was still edge-to-edge with monster bumps top-to-bottom. we're skiing a closed double dipper that had excellent coverage top to runout and skye lark had bumps t-t-b as well. you can see launch pad and the old lighthouse still buried in snow. but that season was really a freak of nature. btw for those who say there's no interest in late season skiing, there's a good crowd of skiers on supe and there's a shot of a packed kbl parking lot.

drjeff

Take some of the big traditional snowfall places for example. Alta/Snowbird that have altitude and will usually max out somewhere in the 15 foot range of setlled snow - they'll finally melt out usally in August. Mount Hood (Timberline ski area) will have the Palmer Snowfield and it's usual 20 or so feet of base at 8,000 or so feet melt out in late August/Early September and every so often make it until the fall's first snow. East coast, even in a big snow year when Tucks gets really blown in, you're talking late July/Early August.

The East coast's hot, humid summer air + low elevation and usually lower angle slopes almosts gets you to wonder, even with a full out, full season snowmaking commitment to one trail, could an area make enough snow to have it last until the next season?? Since as we all know, late season once the adjacent ground starts warming up, the snowpack melts almost as fast from below as above, and very often that run-off water from below can be the big culprit, especially if the hill isn't steep enough to QUICKLY get it out and away from under the snowpack??

Vortex

Kind of like the end of a sad story, I use to make the late season trips. I remember always seeing the news casts when the mountain closed. I remember seeing in the valley news a June 14th slalom. It must have been 97. K use to get all the marketing by just being open. Word of mouth and vibe. I still believe if its marketed well at bare bones cost... late season can work.

Great job. Something we should see on PBS.

I

Greg

Staff member
bob luv the enthusiasm. i'd sign up for it. but even in a good year you'd need about 100' to get er done on a trail like upper downdraft that has better snow retention than supe ...

one thing to remember about k's record of june 22 in '97 was the weather was extremely cooperative. very cold spring with snow in the mtns. i think mt. washington received a record 95" that may. if you haven't seen it, here's my vid comparing that season with '07. on memorial weekend supe was still edge-to-edge with monster bumps top-to-bottom. we're skiing a closed double dipper that had excellent coverage top to runout and skye lark had bumps t-t-b as well. you can see launch pad and the old lighthouse still buried in snow. but that season was really a freak of nature. btw for those who say there's no interest in late season skiing, there's a good crowd of skiers on supe and there's a shot of a packed kbl parking lot.

That is an amazing video. Thanks for posting that. I would be on Superstar if it was like that right now in a heartbeat.

drjeff

'97 was about a perfect a "spring" as you could get for EC snow. a) it snowed, and quite regularly in the mountains into May b) Below average temps for about 97% of the spring c) prevalant cloud cover - only way I remember the details is I got married in early June of '97 and we had an outdoor ceremony and having the back-up rental event tent was a MUST.

I skied K that year on June 5th (a couple of days before my wedding) and thought that it was a riot that about 2 weeks later when I got back from my honeymoon in Hawaii that it was K's closing day :rolleyes:

Geoff

Kind of like the end of a sad story,

A pretty pathetic story, actually. It's not surprising that an awful lot of the core Killington skier base has moved on. With a 7 month season, the resort had a great value proposition. If you're metro-Boston, you can do better with Boyne. If you're metro-NYC or driving up I-91 from Connecticut, it's now worth the extra drive to keep going to the Mad River Valley where you get the same season length, a much better midwinter surface, and far lower costs.

skiadikt

That is an amazing video. Thanks for posting that. I would be on Superstar if it was like that right now in a heartbeat.

those days are what some of us are passionate about seeing a return to. though i think memorial weekend could be done, it's a tough sell. mid-may would be nice. they're moving in the right direction. hopefully we won't be hearing any more pre-announced april 15 closings. and yeah leave superstar all bumps as it was in that video.

SIKSKIER

I think if you took a high elevation mtn. like Wildcat, Cannon, Saddleback ect... and ran a specific lift just serving that one very north facing trail it could go at least well into summer. Can you imagine if they really blasted a trail like Upper Lynx all winter?

Not likely.Tucks can have more than 30 feet of snow at a higher elevation and it doesn't make August.

Highway Star

Not likely.Tucks can have more than 30 feet of snow at a higher elevation and it doesn't make August.

True, but it is east facing, natural snow which melts faster, and is undermined by running water.

Trust me, a 50 ft deep solid block of ice covering a ski slope, with proper drainage underneath, and perhaps tarps/blankets to cover it from rain and heat........now that would stick around for a looooong time.