• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The carnage thread

BackLoafRiver

Frame came in today. 2013 Tarmac Pro SL4. She's sexy as hell.

The only issue is that it requires a bb30 which I don't have. Wondering if it is worth upgrading to a Force Crank or if I should just get the adapter.

The upside on the adapter is price but, as you have said before BVibert, forced upgrades are kinda nice....

BackLoafRiver

I realized I hadn't updated with a pic since I got her back. 2 things I need to change:

1) Saddle. The white isn't cutting it.
2) Crank. That'll have to wait.

IMG_0398.jpg

BackLoafRiver

How does it ride?
Actually, smooth and fast! I haven't noticed the stiffness that some people complain about. On descent's it is NOTICEABLY faster than the old frame.

I love the flat finished paint jobs.

Yeah, whats beautiful is some of the decaling contrasts nicely against the flat finish. I prefer the overall look of this frame to my last one.

ctenidae

Not traditional carnage, but I finally got around to taking my bike in for a tune up after it got drowned by Sandy. Not surprisingly, it's got some issues, since I wasn't able to get to the bike at all until about a week after the storm, and it had been washed out of our storage shed and was washed up against the fence, along with other stuff from the shed and about 200 pounds of seaweed and silt. But, I didn't think it would be quite as bad as it was, even accounting for bike shop upsizing to encourage new bike purchasing.

$400 to replace lower bracket, brakes, rear cassette, chain, and cables, rebuild both hubs, and tune all the derailleurs. They also recommend replacing both wheels, since the spoke nipples are corroding and fusing to the rims, and they don't even mention the front suspension, so neither of those are included in the estimate.

Maybe a bit much for a 2007 Specialized Hard Rock that barely cost $400 to begin with...

bvibert

Staff member
Not traditional carnage, but I finally got around to taking my bike in for a tune up after it got drowned by Sandy. Not surprisingly, it's got some issues, since I wasn't able to get to the bike at all until about a week after the storm, and it had been washed out of our storage shed and was washed up against the fence, along with other stuff from the shed and about 200 pounds of seaweed and silt. But, I didn't think it would be quite as bad as it was, even accounting for bike shop upsizing to encourage new bike purchasing.

$400 to replace lower bracket, brakes, rear cassette, chain, and cables, rebuild both hubs, and tune all the derailleurs. They also recommend replacing both wheels, since the spoke nipples are corroding and fusing to the rims, and they don't even mention the front suspension, so neither of those are included in the estimate.

Maybe a bit much for a 2007 Specialized Hard Rock that barely cost $400 to begin with...

$400 sounds a bit excessive for that amount of work. I do all my own work though, so I'm definitely not in tune with bike shop prices.

Regardless, from what you describe it might be time to write the bike off and get a new one.

Replacing the bottom bracket, cassette, chain, and cables sounds reasonable. I'd assume the pedals also need replacement as well. Does it have disc brakes? If so I could see replacing them too, if not then I'd be surprised if the v-brakes can't be serviced without replacement. Rebuilding the hubs sounds reasonable, however, if there's any corrosion in there then the hubs are probable toast. The bike uses Shimano hubs that utilize a loose BB and race configuration (versus a cartridge bearing), with the bearing race being built into the hub shell. If the bearing race is messed up then the hub is junk. Which leads to the next point, if they want to replace the wheels then the hubs get replaced anyway. I hope they wouldn't charge you to rebuild the hubs and replace the wheels?? If they didn't replace the wheels (and thus the hubs) then I hope the hub rebuild includes replacing the freehub, because that's likely crusty inside and isn't a serviceable part on Shimano hubs....

Anyway, sorry for your loss.

ctenidae

I thought the total was a bit high, too, even factoring in the upsell to convince me to buy a new bike. But, at the end of the day the bike still needs basically everything that is attached to the frame replaced, and that's always going to be pricey. Always nice to have new toys, too...

bvibert

Staff member
Crap... I guess it's been too long since I broke something. Might as well do it with some style.

bvibert

Staff member
The picture didn't attach to the previous post...

Attachments

• 1401763995685.jpg
    1401763995685.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 72

WoodCore

And to think this happened on the beginner ride! Can't wait to see what breaks on Thursday's intermediate ride.

bvibert

Staff member
What happened?!?

Just riding along.

Seriously, I wasn't pushing very hard, just riding on fairly flat terrain. The were no crashes that preceded the incident.

Either it was a manufacturing defect that just took a while to work it's way out, or something happened too it in its past.

I consider myself lucky that I didn't get injured.

dlague

tn_20090801085214206388061.jpg

That looks like it hurt!