• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The carnage thread

BackLoafRiver

So, Specialized got back to me with a few options. They'll give me either a 29er or 650B Stumpjumper frame as an even swap for my busted pitch, or set me up with a 29er or 650B Stumpjumper complete bike for $1600 (retail is $2900).

At face value, getting the full bike seems like the best option, but I'm not super stoked on the build I'd get (it's the Comp which is base level). The wheelset doesn't look like anything special, and it comes a Rockshox revelation fork. I'm sure the fork would be much better than what I have now, but I think I'd be even happier to pick up a Pike for ~$800 and build up around that. I just replaced my drivetrain at the beginning of the season, which I'm in love with, so that would probably be going on instead of the mid grade SRAM stuff that comes with the full bike. It might cost more in the long run, but I think I'll be happier overall. It is tempting to take delivery of a shiny new complete bike though.

The other dilemma I'm facing is 29er or 650B? I've never been very keen on 29ers, and was thinking 650B was a better fit for me, but now that it's decision time I'm not sure. I haven't ridden a 29er in a couple of years, but when I demoed some I didn't feel like they rolled all that better than my 26er, and they didn't feel as nimble. I'm told the geometry has gotten better on them in the last few years? As a big guy at 6'4", riding an XL frame it kinda seems like the bigger wheel is the way to go though.

I demoed a 650B last year and really enjoyed it, but I think a big part of that may have been the lighter build than I'm used to (which I don't think would be sustainable at my size, I break a lot of stuff as it is). I don't really have an apples to apples comparison.

Updates?

bvibert

Staff member

Not really, it took me longer than it should have to come to a decision on buy complete vs build myself. Decided to build myself, now just waiting to hear back from them.

Okay, so the frame is picked out an on it's way. 2015 Stumpy 650b Evo frame. Now I just need to get all the parts for it! Pretty stoked, I like building bikes almost as I like riding them. So it's sort of a win-win for me. Now I can stop obsessing over frame geometry specs, wheel sizes, etc.. That part is done, onto obsessing over what parts to get with it! :lol:

BackLoafRiver

Okay, so the frame is picked out an on it's way. 2015 Stumpy 650b Evo frame. Now I just need to get all the parts for it! Pretty stoked, I like building bikes almost as I like riding them. So it's sort of a win-win for me. Now I can stop obsessing over frame geometry specs, wheel sizes, etc.. That part is done, onto obsessing over what parts to get with it! :lol:

Woot!!! That is exciting!

o3jeff

Why didn't you go 29"?

bvibert

Staff member
Why didn't you go 29"?

That's just a passing fad. 650b is where it's at.

At my size I've always been worried about the flex and durability of the 29" wheels. I have enough trouble keeping spokes intact on 26" wheels. Besides, the handful of 29er demos that I've ridden never did anything for me, but I had a blast on a 650b demo last year..

Puck it

At my size I've always been worried about the flex and durability of the 29" wheels. I have enough trouble keeping spokes intact on 26" wheels. Besides, the handful of 29er demos that I've ridden never did anything for me, but I had a blast on a 650b demo last year..
Agree. 29'ers are better out west where they are easier to maneuver. Not really practical for the east coast.

o3jeff

Did you get it yet? What color?

bvibert

Staff member
Did you get it yet? What color?

No, not yet. It's red, latest technology!

fsr2.jpg

http://www.roadczar.com/ebay/fsr2.jpg

Puck it

Just sent PayPal this morning for Mach 6. I know not right thread but there will some type of carnage eventually.
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 121