• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The carnage thread

bvibert

Staff member
I'm looking to upgrade my fork and that is on the very short list. The Float 34 is not cutting it for me. Let me know how she rides!

Will do! I haven't found much bad press on the Pikes, so I expect it will be pretty good. I was able to find what I thought was a great deal on one, which put it not much more than a Revelation, so it really was a no-brainer. I'm not so sure I need the DPA, but all the reviews I found from people who had actually rode both there's no performance hit vs the solo air, and it was $100 cheaper in white.

Puck it

Got it together rode it. Huge difference. It rolls so much easier over the rocks and the front travel just takes everything. I knocked two minutes off my best time on my loop behind my house. I need to adjust the shocks better and the rear dérailleur needs to be tweaked. Overall very happy.

bvibert

Staff member
Got it together rode it. Huge difference. It rolls so much easier over the rocks and the front travel just takes everything. I knocked two minutes off my best time on my loop behind my house. I need to adjust the shocks better and the rear dérailleur needs to be tweaked. Overall very happy.
Awesome! What is your old bike?

bvibert

Staff member
Let the build begin! Okay, so that's about all the parts I have so far. I was still like a kid at Christmas though!
View attachment 17453
Got the frame tonight!

uploadfromtaptalk1442030549440.jpg

Started to build it up, but there's an issue with the crank/bb, so I couldn't finish it up. I'll need to take a trip to the LBS tomorrow to hopefully get it straightened out. It's starting to look like a bike at least!

uploadfromtaptalk1442030726133.jpg

Getting stoked!

bvibert

Staff member
DUDE!

That thing looks awesome. Any idea whats wrong with the BB?
It's kind of a weird setup. The bike is setup for a PF30 BB, but I wanted to run a regular 24mm shimano crankset. I had the lbs order an adapter BB, but there was some play when I installed the crank. They set me up with some spacers, and now everything seems good. The bike is built and ready to ride, though I have a wider handle bar on the way, which will finish it up for now.

bvibert

Staff member
It's kind of a weird setup. The bike is setup for a PF30 BB, but I wanted to run a regular 24mm shimano crankset. I had the lbs order an adapter BB, but there was some play when I installed the crank. They set me up with some spacers, and now everything seems good. The bike is built and ready to ride, though I have a wider handle bar on the way, which will finish it up for now.
Finished building it up last night (aside from the new stem and handlebar).
uploadfromtaptalk1442171393738.jpg

Today I was able to get out for a quick shakedown ride. Still have some tweaking to do, but loving it so far!
uploadfromtaptalk1442171415785.jpg

http://www.strava.com/activities/391557230

BackLoafRiver

Rad. Noticing a difference from the 26"? How's the geometry compared to what you had?

Glad you got out to test 'Er!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Puck it

Rad. Noticing a difference from the 26"? How's the geometry compared to what you had?

I am seeing a huge difference with 27.5". It is effortless over the rocks on the trails behind my house. Why did I wait so long.

bvibert

Staff member

My test ride was pretty short, 2.6 miles, so I don't have a ton do go on, but first impression is not a huge difference in the wheel size. The geometry is similar to my old bike, but the cockpit feels more compact, like I'm less stretched out, which is good. I still have some tweaking to do on the suspension settings, and I need to put some miles on before I can do a fair comparison.

bvibert

Staff member
Finished building it up last night (aside from the new stem and handlebar).
View attachment 17473

Got the new handle bar in last night. Holy crap, I think I may have gone off the deep end! They are extremely wide, it feels like I'm piloting a school bus or something. I'll give it a few rides, but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up cutting them down. They put the shifter so far out on the bar that the cable is a tad short now, so I'll be redoing that in the near future. Not crazy about how the orange goes with the rest of the bike, but I'm not returning them just for that.

Here they are on top of the old bars for comparison.
new bars.jpg

First ride on them is after work tonight, which will mostly be a night ride. If I don't report back tomorrow it's probably because I smashed my fingers on tree and can no longer type. :lol:

BackLoafRiver

First ride on them is after work tonight, which will mostly be a night ride. If I don't report back tomorrow it's probably because I smashed my fingers on tree and can no longer type. :lol:

Jesus...how wide?!? I do like the low sweep but, man, I'd be clipping my bar 90% of the time.

Puck it

Got the new handle bar in last night. Holy crap, I think I may have gone off the deep end! They are extremely wide, it feels like I'm piloting a school bus or something. I'll give it a few rides, but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up cutting them down. They put the shifter so far out on the bar that the cable is a tad short now, so I'll be redoing that in the near future. Not crazy about how the orange goes with the rest of the bike, but I'm not returning them just for that.

Here they are on top of the old bars for comparison.
attachment.php

I would definitely cut those before riding on them.