• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The carnage thread

bvibert

Staff member
Jesus...how wide?!? I do like the low sweep but, man, I'd be clipping my bar 90% of the time.

800mm! I have wide shoulders, so I wanted to start wide and adjust accordingly. I'm pretty worried about clipping all the time, but I won't know until I try. If I cut them down right away then I'd always wonder how they'd be wider.

buellski

I won't know until I try.

Beautiful bike! 800 does seem wide, but I agree. Try them first. My Kona Process came with 740mm bars. It took a little while for me to get used to them, but I love them now. In the two seasons I've had the Kona, I've only clipped the bars twice and both times were more my fault (target fixation) than them being too wide.

I like the orange by the way. If you don't mind me asking, what brand are they and where did you get them?

bvibert

Staff member
Beautiful bike! 800 does seem wide, but I agree. Try them first. My Kona Process came with 740mm bars. It took a little while for me to get used to them, but I love them now. In the two seasons I've had the Kona, I've only clipped the bars twice and both times were more my fault (target fixation) than them being too wide.

I like the orange by the way. If you don't mind me asking, what brand are they and where did you get them?

They are Race Face Atlas 35 bars. I got them from Amazon of all places. The prices were competitive with Jenson and Pricepoint, and we have Amazon Prime, so I was able to get them quickly. I matched them up with a Race Face Turbine 35 70mm stem.

http://www.raceface.com/components/thirtyfive/atlas-thirtyfive/atlas-thirtyfive-twenty/
http://www.raceface.com/components/thirtyfive/turbine-thirtyfive/turbine35/

I can be kind of a klutz, I'd occasionally clip my old bars, which are only about 650mm. Tonight's ride will be interesting!

bvibert

Staff member
Got the new handle bar in last night. Holy crap, I think I may have gone off the deep end! They are extremely wide, it feels like I'm piloting a school bus or something. I'll give it a few rides, but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up cutting them down. They put the shifter so far out on the bar that the cable is a tad short now, so I'll be redoing that in the near future. Not crazy about how the orange goes with the rest of the bike, but I'm not returning them just for that.

Here they are on top of the old bars for comparison.
View attachment 17481

First ride on them is after work tonight, which will mostly be a night ride. If I don't report back tomorrow it's probably because I smashed my fingers on tree and can no longer type. :lol:

First ride with the wide bars went fine last night, I didn't smash any fingers, and only clipped the bars a few times on trees. They felt way more natural then I thought they would.

BackLoafRiver

Here's a question:

I was doing some more research into tires. I've been running 2.4's on my bike for a few years. Does going to a 2.3 make any noticeable difference with regards to handling?

bvibert

Staff member
Here's a question:

I was doing some more research into tires. I've been running 2.4's on my bike for a few years. Does going to a 2.3 make any noticeable difference with regards to handling?
Used to always run 2.35 tires on the 26er, never had anything as wide as 2.4. For my last build I went with 2.3 and I'm not disappointed. The width of your rim is going to make a big difference on how different tires handle too. Not to mention the volume of the casing, which can vary quite a bit between different tire models of the same size.

Unfortunately, it's one of those things that you just have to try out for yourself. Everyone's experience is different. Kinda like ski widths/designs I suppose.

bvibert

Staff member
Not immediately. Gonna give it a few rides at least. We rode through some of the tighter stuff we have at Nass last night, and I managed without any trouble.

So, to bring this thread back to carnage.. I took a mental health day on Friday to do some riding on the new bike. Midway through my ride I clipped a tree with the enormous bars, and went down hard! It's funny how things seem to slow down as your hurtling towards a large rock. My first concern was the bike, didn't want it getting scratched up already, or worse, damaged. Luckily I managed to keep my body, specifically my shin, between the bike and rock. I'm now sporting a big gouge from just below my knee to just above my ankle.

So, yeah, I might be shortening those bars after all. :lol:

Puck it

So, to bring this thread back to carnage.. I took a mental health day on Friday to do some riding on the new bike. Midway through my ride I clipped a tree with the enormous bars, and went down hard! It's funny how things seem to slow down as your hurtling towards a large rock. My first concern was the bike, didn't want it getting scratched up already, or worse, damaged. Luckily I managed to keep my body, specifically my shin, between the bike and rock. I'm now sporting a big gouge from just below my knee to just above my ankle.

So, yeah, I might be shortening those bars after all. :lol:
I was noticing how much wider mine are now on the new bike. I may narrow mine also.

buellski

What do YOU do after you fall off a cliff?

[video]http://www.redbull.com/uk/en/bike/stories/1331754023802/red-bull-rampage-2015-nicholi-rogatkin-crash[/video]

bvibert

Staff member
Not true carnage, but I managed to destroy another freehub the other day... :smash: