The carnage thread - Page 18

AlpineZone

Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Nice work! I can't believe you didn't damage any spokes!

Also, welcome to the forums, great 1st post!

Brian

Same bike, Appalachian logging road. Pedaling up a long grade I flipped an inch thick stick in the same rear wheel. Seven spokes went "bye bye" along with the tube's valve stem. The one day I left my spare tube at home. Fortunately for my lazy, frustrated self I was near the top. So I coasted gently down the mountain ( I think maybe I wanted a new wheel?). Back on paved roads with the disk brake rubbing and riding on a flat tube, laziness kicked in again and I called for a ride.

SpokeOops.jpg

After pulling all the spokes it was apparent that the rim was still true. So I bought some spokes, a freehub tool, a nicer spoke wrench and rebuilt the wheel (educational experience, easier than some people make it sound).

Thanks, the bike shop where I got the bike and the parts was also a bit amazed.

So, i went into the shop today to have my road bike looked at. During my charity ride this weekend, I had noticed some "popping" sound when I was stopping. (turns out it was the headset...that's not the real issue) Also, whenever I stood to pedal, I was getting another odd noise.

The owner threw the bike in the stand and, while he walked away to help another customer, I happened to notice a crack in the frame!!!! I will get a pic of it tomorrow but, the long and short is that it SOUNDS like Spesh is going to warranty out the frame. I am going to keep my fingers crossed as I haven't heard back from them yet but, the head tech and the owner both made it sound like something they will honor.

Specialized warrantied Bviberts mountian bike frame. I don't recall them giving him any troubles.
    2009/2010 - 28

2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

2008/09 - 33

Yup, no issues whatsoever getting my Specialized MTB frame warrantied when it developed a small crack at the bottom of the seat tube. I was even able to upgrade in the process (for some extra $$).
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    Yup, no issues whatsoever getting my Specialized MTB frame warrantied when it developed a small crack at the bottom of the seat tube. I was even able to upgrade in the process (for some extra $$).
    That's good to know. I will keep my fingers crossed and I'll update as soon as I hear.

No bike carnage, but the trails are getting to dry behind my house. About four times last night, I barely recovered from the bike fishtailing in the loose sand and gravel at a pretty good clip.
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

So...hopefully this doesn't jinx it, but the shop called. Specialized is giving me a 2013 Tarmac sl4 frame as a replacement for my sl2. Here's to hoping!!!!!!!

Nice!
    Brian

Thread Information