• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The carnage thread

powpig2002

hollowell not 100 yards onto fire rd.by that well thats full of water. went back to togus today to get cast changed. ortho md thinks it might need plate and screws.know more in a week. if all works out should be back riding in oct.

gorgonzola

cracked chainstay on my 2nd run at blue mt pa this morning
blue082810006.jpg

rented a big bike. ton of fun before smacking up my elbow pretty good.
blue082810003.jpg

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
Blew up another freehub on yesterday's ride. Time to start shopping for a more substantial rear hub...

MR. evil

Blew up another freehub on yesterday's ride. Time to start shopping for a more substantial rear hub...

I would ask over on MTBR what are clyde worthy hubs. My Hope Pro 2's are nice and reasonably priced, but I am still not sure they could stand up to your power and size. My gut reaction is Chris King. Kings seems to be the go to hub for trials riders, and not too many riders abuse hubs like trials guys.

bvibert

Staff member
Not much chance of getting a Chris King. Hope 2 looks to be about the only choice even close to being my price range, and even that's a big stretch for me right now. I'll probably end up riding my backup wheel for the rest of the season (hopefully) and get something over the winter...

MR. evil

Not much chance of getting a Chris King. Hope 2 looks to be about the only choice even close to being my price range, and even that's a big stretch for me right now. I'll probably end up riding my backup wheel for the rest of the season (hopefully) and get something over the winter...

I know the King's would be able to hold up, but you have to be willing to pay for that. The Hope's are nice, love mine, but I am not sure they would do any better than what you have been using. I would consider them a upper end mid level hub, not high end hub. It would suck to spend a couple hundred bucks on a Hope hub and have that blow on you.

I have read that the DT Swiss & hadley hubs are pretty bomb proof, but also not cheap.

bvibert

Staff member
It's not that I'm not willing to pay for better stuff, it's that I can't afford to. Big difference.

BackLoafRiver

Hmmm.....

Bent my rear derailleur all to hell today in a fall. Opinions please...how bad is it?

Since it is a SRAM X.0 I'd love to not have to replace it if I don't have to.

Doesn't look so bad from this angle...just a slight bend:

DSC01319.jpg

From this angle however:

DSC01318.jpg

MR. evil

The first picture clearly shows that your derailure hanger is bent pretty good. That will need to be replaced, should cost anywhere from $15 to $30. Get two of them so you can keep a spare with you when you ride.

From your second pic I can't tell if the derailluer is all bent to he'll, or if it's fine and the picture was just taken from a funky angle.

MR. evil

The cage is bent so it is angled toward the spokes

If the cage is metal you should be able to take it apart and bent it back. I also think you can buy cage rebuild kits for the upper end SRAM stuff. If not, go to your bike shop and ask if you can cannibalize some of the busted deraillueres they have in their parts bin. My shop has a milk crate full of busted Der's they hold onto for parts, bet yours does to.

BackLoafRiver

If the cage is metal you should be able to take it apart and bent it back. I also think you can buy cage rebuild kits for the upper end SRAM stuff. If not, go to your bike shop and ask if you can cannibalize some of the busted deraillueres they have in their parts bin. My shop has a milk crate full of busted Der's they hold onto for parts, bet yours does to.

Yeah...I am gonna ride a friends bike tomorrow and wait til the LBS opens Tuesday to have them take a look at it. Since the bike is a loaner from the shop down the road, I am hoping they will be able to strip it and bend everything back together.

bvibert

Staff member
It's hard to tell from the pic, but the cage doesn't look bad. I think if you replace the hanger you'll be in good shape.

BackLoafRiver

It's hard to tell from the pic, but the cage doesn't look bad. I think if you replace the hanger you'll be in good shape.

Got the bike back Thursday. The downside is that the hanger was a custom thing that they put on the steel frame and they don't have any more. The upside was, they could bend it back without much effort and the cage was only slightly bent. The did all the work and didn't charge me. Nice of them!!! Bike is riding great now.

drjeff

Just got back from the LBS, I dropped my bike off last Friday after a decent tumble I took, knowing that I was both overdue for a routine tune up and that I had some issues with my rear derailleur (a "quick" shift up through the gears was taking about a minute :eek: ) turns out I crashed pretty well last week!

Bike still at my LBS - carnage total so far - new cable to the rear derailleur - the old one was kinked in 3 places and almosted severed in another spot :eek: Bent drive side crank arm and a just about shot front drive bearing. New front drive/cranks from Shimano on order, and a couple of more days of rest for my bruised self is appreciated!

gorgonzola

cracked chainstay on my 2nd run at blue mt pa this morning
blue082810006.jpg

rented a big bike. ton of fun before smacking up my elbow pretty good.
blue082810003.jpg

just want to shout out some props to jamis and my lbs (fitness central schnecksville pa) for getting me back on the trail in 3 days! :beer:

gorgonzola

as i'm getting ready to load the bike for an early morning jaunt to swatara state park i squeeze the brake lever and the line pops! right out of the lever spraying hydro fluid. really wanted to ride so i load up the trusty gt and roll it old's kool

IMG00033-20101003-1031.jpg

haven't ridden it much this year except for a little commuting early in the season. took a little while to get comfy on the trail with the steep head angle, no brake modulation and feeling every little root. the park was nice 10 mi loop of smooth flowy buff singletrack so if you gotta roll the hardtail its the place to be, not making me want to switch back though. blackbeary wheat does make a great early morning post ride breakfast beer! :beer:

powpig2002

got cast off oct 15. twisted it up again yesterday. hurts like an s.o.b. BUT it's not broken. back on crutches and vicodin. think i might hang it up for the season. road bikin', here i come.