• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The carnage thread

bvibert

Staff member
That sucks....for both of you. Brian, did the freehub die on the way back as well or were you mid ride?

Less than 3 miles into the ride. Luckily it didn't totally die, but there were some chunks floating around in there that made it not freewheel too well sometimes. Aside from that and the flat I was able to ride it out without any issues. I probably did 1.5 or so miles on it after it made the big crunchy sounds...

WoodCore

Sunday afternoon/evening might work too.

Going to try and ride w/ the BSS @ Greyville around noon but might be up for a double dip! Brian if you can't find parts I have a loaner wheel you can borrow.

bvibert

Staff member
Going to try and ride w/ the BSS @ Greyville around noon but might be up for a double dip! Brian if you can't find parts I have a loaner wheel you can borrow.

Thanks! I'm gonna try to get the part tomorrow after work. I'll let you know.

bvibert

Staff member
Crap, I just saw how far away Grayville was. I don't think I could make a noon ride there. I can't leave here until 11:00 at the earliest, 11:30 is more likely...

BackLoafRiver

Quick update ( a little late) -

I have been cleared to start doing "stuff" again. Wednesday I saw the surgeon, he said it looked better, so that night I did a 10.1 mile ride. No singletrack - just double and dirt path. (but I was tempted by the more than 10 new trail entrances we found) Enough to get the blood flowing and start sweating.

Followed that up with a 4.5 mile walk Thursday and an hour long cardio session at the gym yesterday. I came to the gross realization that I am horribly out of shape. I still need to lose 5 lbs that I gained (out of 15!!!!) while in the hospital.

The good news is, as long as I can keep it clean, I should be good to ride/ exercise as much as I want. The hope is that in just about 2 weeks, this will all be a bad dream.

bvibert

Staff member
Quick update ( a little late) -

I have been cleared to start doing "stuff" again. Wednesday I saw the surgeon, he said it looked better, so that night I did a 10.1 mile ride. No singletrack - just double and dirt path. (but I was tempted by the more than 10 new trail entrances we found) Enough to get the blood flowing and start sweating.

Followed that up with a 4.5 mile walk Thursday and an hour long cardio session at the gym yesterday. I came to the gross realization that I am horribly out of shape. I still need to lose 5 lbs that I gained (out of 15!!!!) while in the hospital.

The good news is, as long as I can keep it clean, I should be good to ride/ exercise as much as I want. The hope is that in just about 2 weeks, this will all be a bad dream.
That's awesome news! Congrats!

BackLoafRiver

Sigh....

Haven't been able to get out for weeks now. Apparently, when I was finally cleared to ride this summer, starting with an 11 mile loop was a bad choice. The orthopedic doc says I have "jumpers knee" or patellar tendinitis. It is one of the most painful things ever and, unfortunately, is an overuse injury which means no riding, elliptical, or running. It was getting better until the last PT told me to do some lower body weight training. Flared it right up...awful. Couldn't bend my left knee for 4 days without excruciating pain.

The upside is that it is getting better and should be fine for ski season. The downside is, if it doesn't heal up soon, my riding for the season might be over. I don't want to rush it and am hoping I get cleared to do some more activity soon.

bvibert

Staff member
Sigh....

Haven't been able to get out for weeks now. Apparently, when I was finally cleared to ride this summer, starting with an 11 mile loop was a bad choice. The orthopedic doc says I have "jumpers knee" or patellar tendinitis. It is one of the most painful things ever and, unfortunately, is an overuse injury which means no riding, elliptical, or running. It was getting better until the last PT told me to do some lower body weight training. Flared it right up...awful. Couldn't bend my left knee for 4 days without excruciating pain.

The upside is that it is getting better and should be fine for ski season. The downside is, if it doesn't heal up soon, my riding for the season might be over. I don't want to rush it and am hoping I get cleared to do some more activity soon.

That's a real kick in the pants! I hope it heals up soon! Don't rush it though, it sucks enough to impact the biking season, I don't think you want it to impact skiing too...

wa-loaf

Sigh....

Damn dude, take it easy so you can ski this winter!