• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The carnage thread

bvibert

Staff member
Not true carnage, but I managed to destroy another freehub the other day... :smash:

So, after much internal debate with myself, I finally got my ass in gear and ordered a new hub. Winter came and went so quickly this year, or maybe I should say it never really started down here, that I found myself with perfect biking conditions and no bike to ride. That lit a fire under my butt.

The new hub arrived on Thursday, and on Friday I started building my first wheel. I took my time, but it turned out to be easier than I thought it would, which is making me nervous that I over looked something. There were no obvious problems in my first 9 mile shakedown ride though!

bvibert

Staff member
It's not a very exciting picture, but there it is, all built up, tensioned, and ready to go!
97046dd6620b57b696d0d83709cd3d28.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

BackLoafRiver

There are so many things to love about that picture. I've always been super sketched out to build my own wheels because it seems like a whole lot can go wrong. (and I am an idiot) Was it really that easy?

What did you end up getting for a hub?? Are you setting it up tubeless?

bvibert

Staff member
There are so many things to love about that picture. I've always been super sketched out to build my own wheels because it seems like a whole lot can go wrong. (and I am an idiot) Was it really that easy?

What did you end up getting for a hub?? Are you setting it up tubeless?

It took me a while to do, but it wasn't really difficult. I should preface that by saying that I've done plenty of truing in the past, using the stand and on-bike methods. I'm pretty comfortable with turning the appropriate nipples the right way to get the rim to move where it needs to go at this point. Several years ago I completely de-tensioned a machine built wheel I bought that came out of the box with very uneven spoke tensions and not particularly true. I'm sure I could have just gone through it and trued it, but wanted to go through the whole process of tensioning the wheel from nothing. I guess that means I already had some experience in one of the aspects of wheel building, but I still hadn't laced a wheel. I've also been reading about wheel building on and off for probably 10+ years, so I had a pretty good idea of the process before hand. There's plenty of info online, some contradictory, so you have to decide what makes sense for you.

The proof will be in the pudding, we'll see how long the wheel lasts!

I ended up going the budget route and trying a hub that's been getting a lot of good press online. It's the MTB270 from bikehubstore.com, who are distributors for Bitex hubs, though these hubs are unbranded. I built it into my existing rim. When the budget allows I'd like to build better hubs into wider, tubeless ready rims and keep these as backups. I'm still running tubes with these rims. I've read that some people have tried to set these rims up tubeless, but the results were less than desirable. If I go tubeless I want it to work.

I enjoyed the process, it has me itching to build up another one!

skiMEbike

Anyone seen or heard of breaking the bridge on a front suspensions fork (2012 29'er Rock Shox Reba RL)? "Conveniently" 2 year warranty has expired. I am not even sure when/how/where the damage occurred...I haven't had any serious falls/impacts where I even think it could have happened. It was only noticed when I was bringing my bike into the LBS, and told them my headset felt loose & wanted them to check it out.....That's when they said, "Ahhh, it's not your headset".

The only fall I've had recently (3 rides prior to noticing it was cracked) was when I was coming in a "little hot" into a skinny & my front wheel slipped off the edge of the skinny dropped like 6 inches into some muck, immediately stopped me in my track & threw me over the bar....Nothing I would even thing could do that kind of damage.

BrokenBridge_rockshox.jpg

bvibert

Staff member
Anyone seen or heard of breaking the bridge on a front suspensions fork (2012 29'er Rock Shox Reba RL)? "Conveniently" 2 year warranty has expired. I am not even sure when/how/where the damage occurred...I haven't had any serious falls/impacts where I even think it could have happened. It was only noticed when I was bringing my bike into the LBS, and told them my headset felt loose & wanted them to check it out.....That's when they said, "Ahhh, it's not your headset".

The only fall I've had recently (3 rides prior to noticing it was cracked) was when I was coming in a "little hot" into a skinny & my front wheel slipped off the edge of the skinny dropped like 6 inches into some muck, immediately stopped me in my track & threw me over the bar....Nothing I would even thing could do that kind of damage.

View attachment 20192

Wow, that's crazy! Looks like a manufacturing defect to me. I can't imagine any impact that would cause that and not do damage to other parts of the bike.

Luckily, you should be able to get new lowers for that fork, without spending a ton of money.

skiMEbike

Wow, that's crazy! Looks like a manufacturing defect to me. I can't imagine any impact that would cause that and not do damage to other parts of the bike.

Luckily, you should be able to get new lowers for that fork, without spending a ton of money.

I thought about replacing the lowers, but two reasons why I am a little hesitant: 1. First quote for lowers only was a little over $200, 2. Wondering about the uppers with over 3+ years of wear on them being combined with a brand new lowers...Could I be asking for trouble with things not being "perfectly" in sync between upper & lowers?

I am looking at getting a new ride (which is indirectly weighing in on what I do with this fork), however I definitely want to get this fixed and be able to ride this bike....Other thought is to get a brand new cheaper fork (for about the same money as the lowers), that would be a spring/coil shock vs air suspension. Just not sure how "different" it will feel & whether I will eventually trash that kind of fork.

bvibert

Staff member
I thought about replacing the lowers, but two reasons why I am a little hesitant: 1. First quote for lowers only was a little over $200, 2. Wondering about the uppers with over 3+ years of wear on them being combined with a brand new lowers...Could I be asking for trouble with things not being "perfectly" in sync between upper & lowers?

I am looking at getting a new ride (which is indirectly weighing in on what I do with this fork), however I definitely want to get this fixed and be able to ride this bike....Other thought is to get a brand new cheaper fork (for about the same money as the lowers), that would be a spring/coil shock vs air suspension. Just not sure how "different" it will feel & whether I will eventually trash that kind of fork.

I don't know if these will fit your fork, but Universal Cycles has some Reba lowers for just over $100:
https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=9947

I wouldn't be worried about putting new lowers on your existing uppers at all. The only thing that's in the lowers are the seals at the top, which people replace all the time, and bushings. Unless there's some other issue with the uppers I would go with that option over getting a lower quality replacement fork. Replacing the lowers is a 10 minute job by itself, though it might be a good idea to service the damper in the uppers while you're at it.

BackLoafRiver

hmmm...

Found a couple of gouges (nothing big but clearly more than a surface scratch) on my frame while giving it a cleaning the other day.

It's carbon...wondering if it is something to look in to or if it is more cosmetic. Im freaked that the carbon could fail. Thoughts?

bvibert

Staff member
hmmm...

Found a couple of gouges (nothing big but clearly more than a surface scratch) on my frame while giving it a cleaning the other day.

It's carbon...wondering if it is something to look in to or if it is more cosmetic. Im freaked that the carbon could fail. Thoughts?

I think it depends on the depth of the gouge. I'm no expert though. It's probably worth the piece of mind to bring it into the LBS to let them take a look.

BackLoafRiver

I think it depends on the depth of the gouge. I'm no expert though. It's probably worth the piece of mind to bring it into the LBS to let them take a look.

Brought it in yesterday. Apparently it isn't big enough to cause failure but it was good to notice. He wasn't sure it would get bigger but advised me to keep an eye on it.

He did, however, pick up on an issue with my reverb lever. For whatever reason, the post wasn't returning to the up position despite depressing the lever. He thought it needed a bleed but that didn't solve it. Ended up replacing the whole assembly (lever, hose, etc) but only charging for the hose. He's going to contact SRAM and see if they warranty it but, regardless, he replaced it.

Here's to hoping today's weather clears up so I can get out for a bit later

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

bvibert

Staff member
Brought it in yesterday. Apparently it isn't big enough to cause failure but it was good to notice. He wasn't sure it would get bigger but advised me to keep an eye on it.

He did, however, pick up on an issue with my reverb lever. For whatever reason, the post wasn't returning to the up position despite depressing the lever. He thought it needed a bleed but that didn't solve it. Ended up replacing the whole assembly (lever, hose, etc) but only charging for the hose. He's going to contact SRAM and see if they warranty it but, regardless, he replaced it.

Here's to hoping today's weather clears up so I can get out for a bit later

I'm glad the gouges weren't that big of an issue! Also cool that you got Reverb fixed while you were there.

bvibert

Staff member
I almost forgot to post this. Another rear hub bites the big one.

c5446533b2439c04d1a83a65f9a58d14.jpg

This is the first time I've broken an axle..

BackLoafRiver

I almost forgot to post this. Another rear hub bites the big one.

This is the first time I've broken an axle..

I feel like there is a story behind it. Massive hit? What number hub is this for you? Do you have a spare?

Sorry buddy. That blows.

bvibert

Staff member
I feel like there is a story behind it. Massive hit? What number hub is this for you? Do you have a spare?

Sorry buddy. That blows.

No big hits. I took the rear wheel off to do some maintenance and the cassette/freehub fell off when I put the wheel down. I found it last Wednesday, but I don't know how long it was cracked before that since it was held together by the through axle. The freehub body also shows signs of wear indicating that it was flexing under load. I have a replacement axle on the way, but it's not looking too good for me to get in my Thursday ride again this week either. The new axle is the short term solution, I'm in the market for yet another new rear hub.

BackLoafRiver

I've got a set of DT Swiss 350 built to a set of WTB i23 rims (27.5) just collecting dust. Too lazy to post them online.

Puck it

No big hits. I took the rear wheel off to do some maintenance and the cassette/freehub fell off when I put the wheel down. I found it last Wednesday, but I don't know how long it was cracked before that since it was held together by the through axle. The freehub body also shows signs of wear indicating that it was flexing under load. I have a replacement axle on the way, but it's not looking too good for me to get in my Thursday ride again this week either. The new axle is the short term solution, I'm in the market for yet another new rear hub.
I thought I was tough on shit. We all know road biking is way cheaper. Right?