• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The carnage thread

BackLoafRiver

Last weekend I took the hardest crash I've had in years at Bradbury. 5 minutes in my tire let loose while going fast down a section I've ridden 100 times. It knocked the wind out of me and I couldn't talk for a while. I managed to get 11 miles in but I knew there was a problem.

Went to the doc and X-rays showed a fracture. Not sure how long it'll be before I can ride again. The season still has some life left in it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile a

bvibert

Staff member
Last weekend I took the hardest crash I've had in years at Bradbury. 5 minutes in my tire let loose while going fast down a section I've ridden 100 times. It knocked the wind out of me and I couldn't talk for a while. I managed to get 11 miles in but I knew there was a problem.

Went to the doc and X-rays showed a fracture. Not sure how long it'll be before I can ride again. The season still has some life left in it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile a

That's not good! Heal up!

went ass over head on a tight steep section of my usual that is littered with roots and rocks..hit a hidden root on the steepest part and it was like doing an endo on a parking block...got some nasty deep bruises, and sprained wrist...but bike was ok and i was able to ride away

bvibert

Staff member
went ass over head on a tight steep section of my usual that is littered with roots and rocks..hit a hidden root on the steepest part and it was like doing an endo on a parking block...got some nasty deep bruises, and sprained wrist...but bike was ok and i was able to ride away

At least the bike was okay!

bvibert

Staff member
I figured out what my persistent creek was the other day... another cracked frame... Yay me! Waiting to hear back from Specialized...

Puck it

No pics, but destroyed my chain, rear derailleur and hanger. A long four mile walk out of the woods back to the house.

skiMEbike

I figured out what my persistent creek was the other day... another cracked frame... Yay me! Waiting to hear back from Specialized...

That sucks !! Curious what type of frame & where it cracked.

I've had the unfortunate "luck" of breaking two in my lifetime. Suddenly my relatively new bike (2012) has started making an annoying "creaky" sound, and for the life of me I can not figure out the source (concerned something may be breaking).

WoodCore

Oh no, not again!!! Got a fatty tire bike you can borrow. Size large.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Well my youngest son let one of his friends ride my other son's (the one in the military) Specialized MTB and left it in the driveway only to have another son, between them in age, back all the way over it with his car. Bent rim, crushed fork and shock, broken pedal assembly and derailleur as well as a slightly bent rear fork. My youngest who inherited the bike is crushed and wants to fix it for sentimental reasons. Huge bummer and carnage.

bvibert

Staff member
That sucks !! Curious what type of frame & where it cracked.

I've had the unfortunate "luck" of breaking two in my lifetime. Suddenly my relatively new bike (2012) has started making an annoying "creaky" sound, and for the life of me I can not figure out the source (concerned something may be breaking).

It was a 2008 Specialized Pitch, though I got the frame new as a warranty replacement in 2011. It cracked on a weld at the pivot mount for the rocker arm on the seat tube.

Oh no, not again!!! Got a fatty tire bike you can borrow. Size large.

Thanks man! I don't know if the large will be big enough, but I'll give it a shot.

Sorry to hear it. How quick are they with a response?

Maybe they'll upgrade you?!

I brought the bike back to the shop on Sunday (I rode it two last times after finding the crack), and still haven't heard anything back. Hopefully they get back to me soon. I'm not very hopeful that they have a similar frame available, since everything current is either 29er or 650B. I'll probably be forced into an upgrade, but it will be at a cost to me.

bvibert

Staff member
Well my youngest son let one of his friends ride my other son's (the one in the military) Specialized MTB and left it in the driveway only to have another son, between them in age, back all the way over it with his car. Bent rim, crushed fork and shock, broken pedal assembly and derailleur as well as a slightly bent rear fork. My youngest who inherited the bike is crushed and wants to fix it for sentimental reasons. Huge bummer and carnage.

That sounds rough, probably best as a wall ornament at this point?

MR. evil

It was a 2008 Specialized Pitch, though I got the frame new as a warranty replacement in 2011. It cracked on a weld at the pivot mount for the rocker arm on the seat tube.

Thanks man! I don't know if the large will be big enough, but I'll give it a shot.

I brought the bike back to the shop on Sunday (I rode it two last times after finding the crack), and still haven't heard anything back. Hopefully they get back to me soon. I'm not very hopeful that they have a similar frame available, since everything current is either 29er or 650B. I'll probably be forced into an upgrade, but it will be at a cost to me.

that sounds like a failure of the front triangle of the bike and shouldn't fall under Spesh's rear triangle (aka suspension linkage) limited warranty BS. At the very worst they should be able to put you into new frame for very little $$$.

BackLoafRiver

If they do push you into a 650, I have a set of WTB i23's laced to Dt Swiss 350's that I might be able to part with. (If my new wheels ever show)

It does sound like Spesh should take care of you as it is clearly their issue. I've heard similar stories of weld faults (usually at the head tube though) that have been easily warrantied out.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

bvibert

Staff member

So, Specialized got back to me with a few options. They'll give me either a 29er or 650B Stumpjumper frame as an even swap for my busted pitch, or set me up with a 29er or 650B Stumpjumper complete bike for $1600 (retail is $2900).

At face value, getting the full bike seems like the best option, but I'm not super stoked on the build I'd get (it's the Comp which is base level). The wheelset doesn't look like anything special, and it comes a Rockshox revelation fork. I'm sure the fork would be much better than what I have now, but I think I'd be even happier to pick up a Pike for ~$800 and build up around that. I just replaced my drivetrain at the beginning of the season, which I'm in love with, so that would probably be going on instead of the mid grade SRAM stuff that comes with the full bike. It might cost more in the long run, but I think I'll be happier overall. It is tempting to take delivery of a shiny new complete bike though.

The other dilemma I'm facing is 29er or 650B? I've never been very keen on 29ers, and was thinking 650B was a better fit for me, but now that it's decision time I'm not sure. I haven't ridden a 29er in a couple of years, but when I demoed some I didn't feel like they rolled all that better than my 26er, and they didn't feel as nimble. I'm told the geometry has gotten better on them in the last few years? As a big guy at 6'4", riding an XL frame it kinda seems like the bigger wheel is the way to go though.

I demoed a 650B last year and really enjoyed it, but I think a big part of that may have been the lighter build than I'm used to (which I don't think would be sustainable at my size, I break a lot of stuff as it is). I don't really have an apples to apples comparison.

MR. evil

IMO the Stumpjumper is a light weight trail bike and with your track record with Spesh frames you will be right back in this same spot in a year or two tops. If it was me I would take the free frame, immediately sell it and then buy a new frame from another Mfr. One known for beefier bikes like Kona or Transition to name a few.

Puck it

Not much of carnage but lost a pedal on a rock yesterday. The good thing is the last pedal that I broke was the right one. I had a spare.