• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The carnage thread

wa-loaf

Here we go again... :smash:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Damn dude, what happened?

bvibert

Staff member
Damn dude, what happened?

Just riding along, pushed a little going up a small, very mellow hill, and POP! That was it. I've seen pictures of other MKIII's failing in the same manner, I just hoped mine wouldn't be one of them... :(

I wish I could say it was the result of going big off of a drop or something, but I never had the bike more than 2 inches off the ground...

bvibert

Staff member
I think you aired it out to about 2 1/2+ inches off the jump on the trail after we crossed the road.

And that was definitely the most 'air' I ever did with that bike. I know that it must have looked pretty sick though. 8)

bvibert

Staff member
The fun continues for me...

29856_1470891981215_1501085519_1167031_1486244_n.jpg

At least it wasn't bike ending or even ride ending this time...

awf170

Just riding along, pushed a little going up a small, very mellow hill, and POP! That was it. I've seen pictures of other MKIII's failing in the same manner, I just hoped mine wouldn't be one of them... :(

I wish I could say it was the result of going big off of a drop or something, but I never had the bike more than 2 inches off the ground...

I took a nice 5 foot drop to flat today. Frame is still just fine. :flame:

BackLoafRiver

No pics but just had to get my rear cassette and chain replaced. Apparently the middle rings (where I do most of my riding) were getting worn to the point the chain was skipping ever other turn in that gear. Total pain.

The upside is now it rides like new. :beer:

gorgonzola

No pics but just had to get my rear cassette and chain replaced. Apparently the middle rings (where I do most of my riding) were getting worn to the point the chain was skipping ever other turn in that gear. Total pain.

The upside is now it rides like new. :beer:

i'm in the shop too with the annual drive train repair/replacement. also found a small hairline crack on the chainstay web. looks like a non-critical reinforcement area so gonna ride her til she blows or until vacation in late july :-o

WoodCore

Snapped dérailleur hanger #3 this season roughly 3.5 miles into tonights ride. Had a spare with me but the one that snapped was wedged on so tight I couldn't get it off. Instead of fighting it I simply swallowed my pride, took the chain off, strapped the dérailleur out of harms way and coasted the best I could back to the car.

bvibert

Staff member
Snapped dérailleur hanger #3 this season roughly 3.5 miles into tonights ride. Had a spare with me but the one that snapped was wedged on so tight I couldn't get it off. Instead of fighting it I simply swallowed my pride, took the chain off, strapped the dérailleur out of harms way and coasted the best I could back to the car.

Wow, you're having some really bad luck with hangers this year! I'm not even sure where my spare one is anymore.... :eek:

gorgonzola

been there - that sucks. my 07 jamis xam has a serious hanger design flaw, i went through 4 one season, then switched to a beefier cnc'd after market hanger and have been good to go or over a year (prolly jinxed now)

if your using the bike manufacturers hangers try derailleurhangers.com or vice versa...

WoodCore

Can't beleive I'm back posting another casualty so quickly but roughly 1.5 miles into to todays ride I some how managed to break my rear shifter assembly off the handlebars. After a minute or so of WTF I ended up finishing the 8+ mile ride basically with one gear. None the less after a quick post ride trip down to Bikers Edge for a new Shifter assembly I'm back in business and ready to roll tomorrow am.

bvibert

Staff member
Can't beleive I'm back posting another casualty so quickly but roughly 1.5 miles into to todays ride I some how managed to break my rear shifter assembly off the handlebars. After a minute or so of WTF I ended up finishing the 8+ mile ride basically with one gear. None the less after a quick post ride trip down to Bikers Edge for a new Shifter assembly I'm back in business and ready to roll tomorrow am.

Dude, how the hell did you manage that one??? :eek:

Glad you were able to get it resolved so quickly!

o3jeff

Dude, how the hell did you manage that one??? :eek:

Glad you were able to get it resolved so quickly!

I'm surprised I haven't broke mine yet, especially on the hills hoping I have another granny gear left to shift into only to find I am already in it!

mondeo

New wheel and fork on the way. I'll take pics when I get the parts back, but this should explain what happened pretty nicely (from the TR: )

o3jeff

Front fork, ended up being sent back to Fox, hopefully will see it in a few weeks.

Until then I'll be keeping it real on this again!
IMAG0026.jpg
[/IMG]