• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rebirth of a hardtail

bvibert

Staff member
Here's some pics of the rebuild of my HT after my FS met it's unfortunate demise.

The old HT, stripped and ready for new parts
0522091735_G.sized.jpg

Ready to be dismantled
0522091743a.sized.jpg

A fond farewell
0522091824a.sized.jpg

Everything ready to be reassembled
0522091947_G.sized.jpg

Pile-o-parts
0522091947a.sized.jpg

More to follow when I finish...

Greg

Staff member
It's gonna look sick when you're done.

bvibert

Staff member
I actually got the fork mounted and wheels on last night, but it was too dark by then and the pictures didn't come out...

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
That's a nice jeep.

That's MY Jeep. 78 Cherokee S. :D Once Brian has time to fix it, I will be bidding farewell to the Blazer and that sweet ride will be mine. Only 100K miles on it and it was a 1 owner vehicle before we got it.

DSC00158.sized.jpg

DSC00162.sized.jpg

Brian's outside in the rain working on the HT again.

bvibert

Staff member
Good choice in HT, I have the same thing, but holy shit that frame is HUGE:-o

Yeah, it's a pretty good frame, I rode it for a few years before getting the FS as a hand-me-down. It is a bit on the big side, even for me, it's a 23" :eek:

It's finished now. Luckily I had some new deraileur cable hanging around, so I was able to cable those up using the old housing, which looked to be in decent shape. Being that the frame is so huge the hydraulic line for the rear brake is a bit on the short side, but I think it'll do. The only weak link is in the chain, being that it's a shimano, with no power link, I had to break it the old fashioned way. Those pins aren't supposed to be re-usable, but I didn't have a new one to use, hopefully it'll hold up until I can get a power link.

I couldn't get any pictures of the finished project tonight, because it was too dark when I finished, but I think I took some pics of the progress. I'll post them later, if they're any good, not that I think any of you really care...

bvibert

Staff member
I'm pretty good with a wrench, but I don't know if I'd attempt that.

Bikes are really simple machines. There's a few special tools you need to have to do some jobs, but other than that it's really not that hard. Just take your time and pay attention to detail and you'll be fine. There's tons of resources both online (free) and in print to help you out if you're not sure what you're doing.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Bikes are really simple machines. There's a few special tools you need to have to do some jobs, but other than that it's really not that hard. Just take your time and pay attention to detail and you'll be fine. There's tons of resources both online (free) and in print to help you out if you're not sure what you're doing.
When I was younger, I used to do a lot more bike work. I'd ride all over town on salvage day scrounging for good spare parts I could strip off bikes people were throwing away.

I think my patience (or lack thereof) would get the best of me now. Then again, if I just cracked a frame and wanted to get back out right away, I'd probably find a way to get it done.

bvibert

Staff member
When I was younger, I used to do a lot more bike work. I'd ride all over town on salvage day scrounging for good spare parts I could strip off bikes people were throwing away.

I think my patience (or lack thereof) would get the best of me now. Then again, if I just cracked a frame and wanted to get back out right away, I'd probably find a way to get it done.

I've always been a tinkerer, I love taking stuff apart to see how it works. I used to do quite a bit of work on cars, I still do all of our maintenance, but only when necessary. Working on bike is sooooo much easier than ripping into a car, I love it.

If you used to hack together pieces of bikes then you shouldn't have any problems working on your bike now.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I've always been a tinkerer, I love taking stuff apart to see how it works. I used to do quite a bit of work on cars, I still do all of our maintenance, but only when necessary. Working on bike is sooooo much easier than ripping into a car, I love it.

If you used to hack together pieces of bikes then you shouldn't have any problems working on your bike now.

I do some maintenance, as needed. I should really get a bike stand, cause once I start drinking, I get all confused if the bike is upside down or I am:dunce:

bvibert

Staff member
Here she is, all finished.

Took her out for her maiden voyage today and she performed well, aside from a rear brake alignment issue. The disc mount tabs haven't been faced, I thought I'd be alright because of the CPS mounting system that the Avid's use (it's meant to make up for non perfectly aligned disk tabs). However, the paint that's on the tabs makes the adapter stick out too close to the rotor, so I can't align the caliper correctly. I also have a warped rotor (that I haven't had much luck straightening) which was actually hitting the washers on the mount since it was so close. I stopped to re-align it once (while someone else was changing a flat) and bent the rotor a bit with my hands another time and it was alright for the rest of the ride. I'm gonna file of the paint on the mounting tabs, which should fix my alignment issues.

Greg

Staff member
Really looked awesome today. And it seemed to ride well.

bvibert

Staff member
Thanks for the props. It did ride well today, but there's no mistaking that it's a HT. ;) Maybe it'll be good for my riding, to teach me how to be smooth again, without the FS crutch.

I gotta find the right tire pressure. It's nice to have it soft so that it sucks up little bumps, but I don't like how wishy washy the rear end is with it too soft. Of course, the pinch flat sucked too. :roll:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Now you need to take it down the rock gardens at Meriden so you can see what I was telling you about riding that with a HT. ;)

Nice job getting that together in such a short time! :beer: