• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Climbing (on a bike)

Bike Hill Climbs

• Love to climb

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Hate them

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Don't really care

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • These poll options suck, so none of the above

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
The J challenge used to be a 70 mile MtB with something crazy like 14,000 vert. Big J did it i think. Freaky. I think 5000 vert is a very respectable workout no matter what your gear is. Skis, Bike, Hike, that's a pretty good up. Greg, you're ready for the Vermont MTB fest.!

You said it. I once did a 65 mile road ride with almost 6k of climbing, and I was pooped.

Trekchick

Just catching up on this thread......

• Poll is flawed - I like what climbing does for my overall riding, but I can't say I LOVE climbing.
  • Greg,5k Kudos!!!
  • My question: Why do all the biggest climbs seem to be at the end of the ride?

bvibert

Staff member

• Poll is flawed - I like what climbing does for my overall riding, but I can't say I LOVE climbing.
  • Greg,5k Kudos!!!

The poll can't be flawed, I gave you the option of voting that the choices sucked, therefore it covers all possible answers. ;)

mondeo

My question: Why do all the biggest climbs seem to be at the end of the ride?
Because I live at the top of a hill?

The poll can't be flawed, I gave you the option of voting that the choices sucked, therefore it covers all possible answers. ;)
The choices were just inadequate, they didn't suck. The only way to cover all possible answers is an "other" choice.

Trev

Oh that's an easy one, the ride leader obviously doesn't want you back :-o

Trekchick

I knew you guys wouldn't disappoint with answer to my question.
I figured it had a teensy weensy bit to do with my fat lazy butt being too out of shape...:oops:

bvibert

Staff member
I actually think I tend to climb better later in the ride, but it's probably just the delusions of a dehydrated brain. I'm able to to get into a zone easier later in the ride and just push it out, whereas earlier in the ride I think I tend to puss out easier.

Greg

Staff member
I actually think I tend to climb better later in the ride, but it's probably just the delusions of a dehydrated brain. I'm able to to get into a zone easier later in the ride and just push it out, whereas earlier in the ride I think I tend to puss out easier.

I'm with you on that. Climbing before you're fully warmed up and in the zone is demoralizing. This evening was a good example. If I didn't have that long ride with lots of climbs on Sunday, I really would have been sucking wind at the start of our Penwood ride.

bvibert

Staff member
I was sucking wind throughout pretty much the whole ride. That ride starts out kicking your ass and doesn't really let up.

Trev

Might be some truth to that on my end as well.. just seems that I can dig down a bit more after a good warm up..

:puke:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Well, before your body is "warmed up" it powers a hard effort almost exclusively via anaerobic muscle contraction. The body is prompted to switch to aerobic when you've built up enough lactic acid in your msucles... once you've reached that point, the acid build up and clearing can be a pretty painful experience, but one you have to go through on every ride. It sucks, but afterwards, as long as you keep your HR up and stay aerobic, things are less painful, and you can climb more efficiently for longer periods of time.