• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Time-Out?

Should we institute temporary bans?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The problem I have with temporary banning is that it puts a target on someone for possible future problems.

You throw AZ member A in the penalty box for a month, individuals that do like the banished individual could passive aggressively egg them on in attempt to draw further penalties; kind of like a hockey game. :lol:

Also, the psychology behind what's offensive varies from individual to individual; it's almost always more about perception than intent. One forgotten ;) can totally change a message.

I know for me personally, if I was ever to offend anyone, I'd want to be made aware and given the opportunity to apologize in private to that individual and move on.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
You throw AZ member A in the penalty box for a month, individuals that do like the banished individual could passive aggressively egg them on in attempt to draw further penalties; kind of like a hockey game. :lol:
This is where I take issue with both temp and perm bans because this seems to be happening a lot lately. Which doesn't excuse bad behavior. But I think a locked thread before the personal attacks get out of hand would be a preferable option. I would just hate to see a temp or perm ban that was partially instigated by someone who occasionally gets slightly out of hand being egged into a flame war.

ComeBackMudPuddles

* Did not vote as I am a very new member of the community.

Voicing an opinion though...

Banning people should be done in the worst of cases. Other actions such as deleting a post and locking threads could be taken in circumstances when things get 'out of hand'. End the thread with a note from the mods as to why your locking it, ask everyone to cool off.. and lets move on. Generally speaking thread wars don't leak into other threads.

Banning may be needed for some folks whose sole purpose for coming to the site is to cause problems. I wouldn't think anyone would disagree here... these people would be obvious..

Temp bans.. I dunno.. seems like a time sink for mods if you ask me.. tracking who banned who and why and for how long and then to watch when they return to ensure they are not spite posting.. blah blah blah... you ban Bob for saying something to Frank but not Alice for saying the same thing to Trev... etc.. etc..

Keep it simple... throw a couple warnings out if/when warranted... ban if it is excessive and necessary for the general health of the community.

That's my nickle.

that post is worth more than a nickel....i'll give it a whole quarter! thanks for that.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Maybe I don't "get" how you can ban someone....what's to stop anyone from re-registering with a different user name?

mondeo

Maybe I don't "get" how you can ban someone....what's to stop anyone from re-registering with a different user name?
Not much, so long as they use a different email address. But if you were to ban a certain individual and shortly thereafter a guy named Doug who skis at Blue showed up and broke the record for posts in a day within an hour of account activation, he would probably be recognized.

For better or worse, the people most likely to be banned are those that would be most recognizable should they decide to come back under some other alias.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Not much, so long as they use a different email address. But if you were to ban a certain individual and shortly thereafter a guy named Doug who skis at Blue showed up and broke the record for posts in a day within an hour of account activation, he would probably be recognized.

For better or worse, the people most likely to be banned are those that would be most recognizable should they decide to come back under some other alias.
So it basically a social ban, vs technology backed. Got it.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I would think you'd be able to block certain IP addresses as well......

Hmm, potentially even MAC addresses.

I would think it would almost have to be, since a user would be using a dynamically assigned private IP NAT'd behind their ISP's public address.
Yeah, but it's easy enough to spoof a mac (especially using a NAT router) and get a brand new IP from your ISP as well.

Trekchick

There are a few things I've noticed in this thread, not the least of which is that many of the members here don't notice the issue, which is thanks to the moderator staff on this site.
Its nice that they go on about their business, going relatively unnoticed.

Another thing I noticed is that there are a few(outside of the AZ team) who know exactly what is going on because they are a part of the problem and not a part of the solution.

The idea has been brought up that there needs to be a clear line of what is a banable offense. The trouble with that is, there are some who continually put their toe on the line ...juuuuuuust staying safe enough to avoid being banned, all the while saying "neener neener, you can't ban me, because you didn't catch me going over the line"

What then?

Sometimes its not the huge offense that causes the most damage, but instead its the continued erosion of small issues, No?

Last edited:

campgottagopee

Missed this thread 'till now and have read all post's. What's with all the pussy footin' around Greg?? Who's bein the a-holes---you "Mods" are the ones who have recieved them, so let's hear what's goin on. Common, you got 2knees tellin peeps to blow him and a mod doing drunken posting. I know they're just b.s.'n around but what about a new member??? If Alpinezone wants to be "pure white" shouldn't that be banned???

2knees

Missed this thread 'till now and have read all post's. What's with all the pussy footin' around Greg?? Who's bein the a-holes---you "Mods" are the ones who have recieved them, so let's hear what's goin on. Common, you got 2knees tellin peeps to blow him and a mod doing drunken posting. I know they're just b.s.'n around but what about a new member??? If Alpinezone wants to be "pure white" shouldn't that be banned???

blow me.

Status
Not open for further replies.